Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@cousin_IT, Sept '15. I am confident enough for both of us that you have LTE. There is no setting that you can change. You are not doing anything wrong. Its must simply be a weak signal for LTE and falls back to 3G in the area where you are. I would not worry about it. If you took your car in to a SC for the LTE upgrade, they are going to tell you, that you already have it. I am 99% sure.

I'll put that to the test, in 2 weeks a ranger will install the CSS Combo 2 upgrade. I'll ask him/her if he can see what card is installed

Reactions: Akikiki
Gotcha, thanks! Now to decide if I want to add back the 'new' tuner.....

There is some definite confusion in this area because I've seen some blog posts saying that the $500 radio tuner upgrade brings back AM radio in addition to FM and (if installed previously) Sirius XM. As far as I can see, Tesla has never said that AM radio would be included and we know the digital tuner doesn't do it.

(If I do the MCU2 upgrade, which I haven't quite decided on yet, I'm definitely getting the radio upgrade. The radio station I use most often, for traffic and news, is not on TuneIn.)

Bruce.

There is some definite confusion in this area because I've seen some blog posts saying that the $500 radio tuner upgrade brings back AM radio in addition to FM and (if installed previously) Sirius XM. As far as I can see, Tesla has never said that AM radio would be included and we know the digital tuner doesn't do it.

(If I do the MCU2 upgrade, which I haven't quite decided on yet, I'm definitely getting the radio upgrade. The radio station I use most often, for traffic and news, is not on TuneIn.)

Bruce.
I've seen some of these (including articles) and I think they are just assuming radio means everything you had before, which is incorrect. We have the answer above, I believe. MCU 2 only does what the digital tuner does.

Reactions: Akikiki
My car is now at the SC upgrading to MCU 2. They also ordered part for HW 3 upgrade (mine is AP 2.5). I don't have FSD. I wonder if they are just going to do the upgrade anyway even though I don't need it?

So they did put AP 3.0 on it. The car drove like new! It shouldn't drive any different, but it feels different. Acceleration and handling feels more responsive. Now if they would let me upgrade 75D to 100D......

I know. I agree. To me, it drives like I got a new car for $2500. I think that's a bargain. If someone had told me it was that good, I simply would not believe it. But now - wow.

I thought maybe they did some kind of quick tune up while the car was loading the new software or something? According my service person, the MCU change was the easy part. The hardest part was to get it to download the new software...

I thought I will have to reset lots of things, but it seems to remember everything except homelink and phone BT pairing. It still has the settings for both but both did not work any more and have to be deleted and added back again.

Many others lost all their settings. I was quite surprised and dismissed it as a lack of experience by the techs as they learn how to save the previous drivers' settings and restoring them. I say this because it seems that more people are reporting losing nothing as we hear more people getting the upgrade.

Lucky me. I was one of the first in the country to get the upgrade. I know I was the first in my city. My SC started working on a Wed on mine and gave it back the following Tue. An hour into the work, they found they had the wrong kit and it took almost a week to get the correct one. So after they got the parts it took from an afternoon til noon the next day. I think about 8 hours and it was their first.
I lost one setting. WiFi. But it really was not lost. Its a new modem, 2.4/5 GHz, so it being new the old settings are not going to work. My Homelink worked and I am surprised others find that it does not. No clue why BT is not working.

But yes, you are right saving and restoring settings is getting better and better by SCs. Those few people these days that are losing all, if that's the worse from this upgrade - well I would have lived with it too. Lucky me didn't have to.

Tesla began installing 4G LTE chips May 2015. Since yours is Sept, it definitely has LTE.

While that might be true I definitely am not getting 4G reception anywhere. Is there a way to check what modem is installed without tearing the MCU apart? It could be possible that the SIM card is not setting up 4G connections. Recall service and CSS upgrade is now planned for November 12 and I plan to ask Tesla if they can see what's up with my 3G connection.

I lost one setting. WiFi. But it really was not lost. Its a new modem, 2.4/5 GHz, so it being new the old settings are not going to work. My Homelink worked and I am surprised others find that it does not. No clue why BT is not working.

But yes, you are right saving and restoring settings is getting better and better by SCs. Those few people these days that are losing all, if that's the worse from this upgrade - well I would have lived with it too. Lucky me didn't have to.

Oh yes I forgot I also lost WiFi settings. So I lost 3 things: BT to phones, WiFi, and Homelink. For homelink, I think maybe because it needs that learn button for the rolling code? Somehow it got reset? I have no idea about the phones. The names are there but it won't auto connect.... and manual connect does not work either. Maybe if I reboot the phones (or the car), they will work but I just re-pair them instead. And cool thing about the phone is that now I get listen to my SMS messages in the car. Now if it works with Whatsapp....

$500 for FM? That's like four years of Spotify. That's crazier than me wishing my Tesla had a CD player.

We got the car back in 2017... and I don't think we have ever listened to the radio in the Tesla. I think TuneIn has most of our local stations on there if we really want to listen to radio. Being a 2017 Tesla, it has free premium connectivity so we are set.

While that might be true I definitely am not getting 4G reception anywhere. Is there a way to check what modem is installed without tearing the MCU apart? It could be possible that the SIM card is not setting up 4G connections. Recall service and CSS upgrade is now planned for November 12 and I plan to ask Tesla if they can see what's up with my 3G connection.
In the mean time, do you know someone with a Tesla near you? Ask if they see 4G on their car - and where. Then drive to that area and see if yours picks it up. Your car's cell antenna might have never been connected, and you are picking up the weakest signal. That info would be helpful to Tesla SC too for our SC call.

Reactions: Hovscorpion1
No my S100D (FSD) built late 2017 have MCU1.
And because SC first upgrade HW2.5 to HW3, they said now cannot upgrade with MCU2 !!
Good process is first MCU1 to MCU2 and after HW2 or HW2.5 to HW3.

Can happily confirm that this is incorrect, just upgraded to MCU2, 3 months after having HW3 installed.. I haven’t gotten to experience all my new features because they had to keep the car to fix my door handles that are not presenting when touched.

But MCU2 is installed and working I even have a software update waiting to install .. 2020.40.8

Reactions: CHL and goRt