Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Installs Megachargers at Frito-Lay as Delivery of 15 Semi Truck Approaches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Installs Megachargers at Frito-Lay as Delivery of 15 Semi Truck Approaches-TESMANIAN

Tesla Installs Megachargers at Frito-Lay as Delivery of 15 Semi Truck Approaches

Photo: @privater/Twitter

Frito-Lay Inc. is installing Megachargers for Tesla Semi at its Northern California Warehouse. Upon completion of the installation, the company will have the first known charger for the Semi electric truck.

The FritoLay delivery center, located at 600 Garner Road in Modesto, California, is currently in the process of installing the first Megachargers to charge the Tesla Semi, according to Drive Tesla Canada. They will serve the first 15 of 100 electric trucks ordered by PepsiCo, which are due to be delivered this year.

Tesla's new chargers will be installed alongside existing chargers. At the moment, it remains unknown how many Megachargers will be installed, and how they will look. However, the site plan indicates that a Megapack battery will be installed there, which is most likely needed to stabilize the grid.

1_62c6fc5e-81bc-4e66-b190-b64705e3f6ed_600x600.png

Via Drive Tesla Canada

Electric trucks will completely change the trucking industry as they are the obvious choice for companies looking to reduce CO2 emissions. They are a great alternative to diesel-powered trucks and even trains. Large companies are striving to reduce their carbon footprint, so they pay attention to how they deliver their goods. This forces companies to reconsider their views on the use of old diesel trucks and to seriously consider the possibility of buying electric trucks as soon as possible. Also, this step will help save a significant amount of money on refueling and car maintenance.

1_60eaa480-620c-4045-bb8e-a9bbfd060f14_600x600.jpg

ABOUT THE AUTHOR​

Eva Fox

EVA FOX​

I'm a big fan of Tesla, as I worry about the future for my child and for future generations. Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy and I'm passionately striving for this goal. I’m tired of the daily deception from Tesla’s haters against the company, so I strive to spread true information and the latest news about Tesla.

Are these Megachargers or Semichargers? (If there is a difference). I’ve never heard Semichargers before but DriveTeslaCanada seems to use it, then Tesmanian changed it to Megachargers when they reblogged/copied the article.

Good Point. Also the Megapack mentioned spec's are per Wikipedia
Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 10.43.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 10.51.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 10.48.14 AM.png

Pic courtesy Tesla

Here is the article from Drive Tesla Canada

Tesla’s first known Semicharger to be installed at FritoLay’s Modesto facility

FritoLay is currently in the process of getting the first Tesla Semichargers installed at their delivery center at 600 Garner Road in Modesto, California. The stations are being installed as part of as expansion of the current facility.

The charging stations will service up to 100 Tesla Semis, 15 of which are supposed to arrive later this year. FritoLay already has a dozen 62.5 kilowatt ChargePoint stations which charge up some of the company’s electric box trucks, among other things.

Tesla’s Semichargers will be installed adjacent to the existing chargers. The number of stations was not indicated in the site plan nor in a separate permit which specifically addresses the Tesla stations. The installation will also include a Megapack battery storage unit.

Once in place, the Semichargers should be easily visible from Leckron Road.

Fritolay Tesla Semichargers

So far we do not know what the Semichargers will look like, but we do know that they could reach up to 1 MW in power per vehicle. It is not known whether or not other Tesla vehicles can charge on these stations. The charge port on the Semi is different from other models and we do not know if an adapter will be available.

Reactions: SmartElectric
When the Semi was first introduced Musk stated that Tesla would guarantee a certain rate per kilowatt hour. Is Tesla actually still going to guarantee that certain rate? If so do you think that they could loose a lot of money
I think this was based on the customer providing their existing vehicle energy consumption them Tesla supplying a full end to end system (solar, battery, charging units) at a contract for X years. As Tesla controls all items in the ecosystem and can amortise their costs over whatever number of years it may be, and the costs to manufacture per unit have only decreased since, it's likely they'll be able to keep to their guided numbers.

Either that or they had asterisks and "forward looking statement" disclaimers.