Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone has had any personal experience with Tesla Auto Insurance.

Price comparison
Ease of making claims
Etc.

As you all know, Teslas are expensive to insure. I have a Model 3 currently undergoing a $16K+ repair that I had to claim on my insurance since the at fault driver’s policy was not sufficient to cover the costs.
Supposedly Tesla knows details of fixing their own cars and costs associated with doing so and the premiums are typically lower than the big companies.

Any comments?
(Sorry if this has already been addressed....please provide a link if there’s an existing thread)

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I'm still trying to reach the Tesla Insurance website. I got a call from a Tesla rep yesterday. We performed some tests with account config, browsers, cookies, caches, etc. Apparently there is some glitch connected to the fact I bought Tessie private party. They are still trying to sort this out. I published all the emails that preceded the call a few days ago. I just get a "Whoops can't access that page" whenever I try to go there. Others are having the same problem. When they do get it fixed, I'm dropping Geico.

I placed my M3 order only this weekend but I was looking at getting the Tesla insurance, I hear the underwriters who are located in TX are not well known in the insurance circles. But I am still considering Tesla insurance because, they know their cars and should be able to service any claims better. Also, I am seriously considering Tesla insurance because they cover autonomous vehicles. Which I interpreted as if I do damage while on AP or FSD, I would be covered, if there was no fault of my own. And, I think this is a serious thing because as the car gets more and more autonomous features it is bound to have software bugs. If a bug caused an accident and damage, I don't want to be stuck with the bill.

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
As you all know, Teslas are expensive to insure.
Hmmm, well, actually I didn't think that is always the case. My 2017 MX 100 cost only $100 more per year to insure than with our Acura MDX that is 10 years older and less than half the cost. So for us, the Tesla isn't expensive to insure at all. I guess that isn't the case with some folks. I wonder why..... yea I know there are LOTS of variables that determine the cost.

I took the "plunge" in October 2019, and purchased the new Tesla Insurance (underwritten by State National Companies). Two days ago, I was rear-ended on the freeway. Firstly, Tesla Assistance is CLOSED from Saturday 6PM - Monday 9AM, so if you're thinking you'll speak with someone for any reasons, best do it before Saturday evening or after Monday morning. I'll attempt to document my experience on this thread, since I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there "on the fence" with Tesla Insurance. Like my insurance searching choices in OCT'19, I decided to drop Liberty Mutual and give Tesla Insurance my money (the same coverage rates were about $40 more than Liberty Mutual's annual rates). There were no and still NO Tesla Inc FAQ links or information that I can find. I'm trying to back Elon as much as I can and hope his insurance service is, or will be, as sound as his electric cars. I'm also keeping my ears open for any other facts and information on Tesla Insurance.

So far, I called Tesla Insurance 1(844) 348-3752 Monday. The Tesla operator answering my call (Sabrina) was not very helpful and seemed to steer or lead me to contact the other insurance company, until I explained what I think will happen if I did that. She opened a claim and informed me that a claims adjuster will be contacting me "within 48 business hours for the next steps."
I'm staying positive and to be continued..

I did not buy a Tesla when they came out with the Roadster, Model S, or Model X. For the same reason, I will not buy Tesla insurance until they have at least a few years of experience. While Tesla makes great cars that essentially have no competition, they offer nothing special with their insurance services. They need to cut their teeth in this business for a few years before they figure things out. This is not an area where saving a few dollars makes sense.

I did not buy a Tesla when they came out with the Roadster, Model S, or Model X. For the same reason, I will not buy Tesla insurance until they have at least a few years of experience. While Tesla makes great cars that essentially have no competition, they offer nothing special with their insurance services. They need to cut their teeth in this business for a few years before they figure things out. This is not an area where saving a few dollars makes sense.
My understanding is that Tesla acts as an insurance agency for some outfit in Texas. They don't back it themselves. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is that Tesla acts as an insurance agency for some outfit in Texas. They don't back it themselves. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, they are not underwriting the policy. But as the agent they handle most of the customer service on claims and policy management. And we all know that customer service is not Tesla’s strength.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I took the "plunge" in October 2019, and purchased the new Tesla Insurance (underwritten by State National Companies). Two days ago, I was rear-ended on the freeway. Firstly, Tesla Assistance is CLOSED from Saturday 6PM - Monday 9AM, so if you're thinking you'll speak with someone for any reasons, best do it before Saturday evening or after Monday morning. I'll attempt to document my experience on this thread, since I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there "on the fence" with Tesla Insurance. Like my insurance searching choices in OCT'19, I decided to drop Liberty Mutual and give Tesla Insurance my money (the same coverage rates were about $40 more than Liberty Mutual's annual rates). There were no and still NO Tesla Inc FAQ links or information that I can find. I'm trying to back Elon as much as I can and hope his insurance service is, or will be, as sound as his electric cars. I'm also keeping my ears open for any other facts and information on Tesla Insurance.

So far, I called Tesla Insurance 1(844) 348-3752 Monday. The Tesla operator answering my call (Sabrina) was not very helpful and seemed to steer or lead me to contact the other insurance company, until I explained what I think will happen if I did that. She opened a claim and informed me that a claims adjuster will be contacting me "within 48 business hours for the next steps."
I'm staying positive and to be continued..
Any updates, or is the state shutdown causing delays. Bad time to be going through this. sorry.

as a data point, i had insurance with allstate for decades. car after car it was with allstate.
this time around the same coverage i had on my prior car (2012 qx56 SUV) when translated over to the model 3, was double.
i always wanted to see what quote tesla would give so once i was able to do it i clicked on the link on my manage page and with MORE coverage amounts and lower deductible , it was the same amount as my prior coverage on my qx. i also like that the paperwork was all done automatically and I could tap on the drop downs and add or reduce what I wanted at will.

i agree customer service is paramount and tesla have not been good in that area with my order process, but im all for supporting the brand and trying to keep everything "in house" as possible.

I cannot access their insurance website directly at teslainsuranceservices.com or through tesla.com itself. Doesn't matter which browser, wifi or cellular, IP doesn't matter, laptop, desktop, iPhone or iPad, same result. Ticks me off.

Capture.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: palmer_md
no problems here. (delete my info so that's why thigns are blank)
I managed to fall between the cracks. There is some kind of glitch. I even went to the SC in Rancho Cucamonga, and they were unable to access the insurance site when they logged in using my credentials. Apparently this is somehow related to the fact I bought the car from a dealer. One of the insurance managers tells me they're working on it and expect to have this glitch resolved in April. *Shrug* So I wait.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
It is a bit weird with Tesla insurance. I called them to just get a quote on a model 3 I am taking delivery of tomorrow. They couldn't quote me on it until I actually take possession because I already have a car insured with them. Gentleman on the phone told me to simply call back after I take delivery and they could quote me and take care of me then. System problem....