Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Inverter over temperature error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Houser2021, I would tell Tesla what you found with a screen shot and let them hit the roof and fix this. They should have looked at that to be thorough when they replaced the inverter at the very least.

Voltage is largely determined by how many panels you have wired in series. In another thread you said your system has 20 panels, all facing the same direction. If that is true I don't see how you get as high of a voltage on string 3 given the voltage on the other two strings.

According to what they told me about my system (that is not yet PTO and only producing half of what it's supposed to), is to divide current between two strings in series all on same azimuths that are then connected in parellel on the roof. Saves them the trouble and expense of running a second pair of wires down to the inverter :confused:

According to what they told me about my system (that is not yet PTO and only producing half of what it's supposed to), is to divide current between two strings in series all on same azimuths that are then connected in parellel on the roof. Saves them the trouble and expense of running a second pair of wires down to the inverter :confused:

Interesting, I have 3 pairs of +/- (red and black) wires coming from the roof into the inverter, string 1 and 2 pairs are connected to +/- 1 and 2, but connectors 3 and 4 are jumpered, then on the single 2+/- 4+/- connector below that is where string 3 +/- from the roof connected. They did not save any wire there.

Looks like the issue happened even with string 3 disconnected but took longer. I don’t know how tesla will figure this out. I kinda wish i didn’t go with them no

Hang in there they will fix it. It's a bad wire, connection or configuration issue on the roof. I actually bought meter jumpers and ran mine off and on for a few days (pre-PTO) because I was worried about issues. I didn't send a picture of the inside connections of my inverter so let me know if that will help at all.

This is your 2nd inverter? Do you have a thermostat that you can place inside the inverter to at least exclude temperature is the issue? Do you hear or see the fan turning on?
I have a thermostat in the garage and it reached max of 78 today. I left the inverter door open but still the issue happened. I also tried leaving the garage door open. Fan turns on. Yes second inverter

Last edited:
A few thoughts:
  • I have trouble imaging an 7+ kW inverter hitting over temp at around 4kW
  • Two inverters having the same fault seems extremely unlike, some kind of software bug is more likely
  • Do you hear the inverter cooling pump running?
  • I suspect the string voltages are a red herring at this point. I'm guessing that last string is at high voltage because the inverter is minimizing production because it is running over temp
This me applying basic troubleshooting, no special insight. I do have a Tesla inverter (3.6 kW) that is sitting out on south facing wall outside. I know that the pump runs for cooling from experience.