Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Inverter over temperature error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my tesla inverter replaced yesterday and its doing the same thing as the old one. See screenshots. Tesla has no clue what the issue is. When the production goes to zero the inverter resets and it has the error code shown in the screenshot. Inverter is installed in a garage and temp is 80 degrees

Attachments

• 6C5E26C8-D7E7-471E-9AF1-BAB1892E3F21.png
    6C5E26C8-D7E7-471E-9AF1-BAB1892E3F21.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 313
  • E72C34DC-68BE-4B8E-8856-EFE6F2D799EC.png
    E72C34DC-68BE-4B8E-8856-EFE6F2D799EC.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 213
Just had my tesla inverter replaced yesterday and its doing the same thing as the old one. See screenshots. Tesla has no clue what the issue is. When the production goes to zero the inverter resets and it has the error code shown in the screenshot. Inverter is installed in a garage and temp is 80 degrees
So this alert or error was from the UI of the inverter? I'm actually worried about this because I wanted them installed in the garage but there was lets say communication issues so outside they went. Mine sound like two B52's taking off for a bombing mission sometimes. It's been hot in Texas and getting hotter everyday. That sounds like a strange issue.

I see the IP above so its from the UI, missed that on my phone.

Yes from UI. Mine is also very loud. In the garage the temp is 60s at night and reached max of 82 degrees at 3pm. Maybe there is not enough airflow? Its 450 sqft with 8 foot ceilings. It happens from around 11am to 3pm. Not sure if its related to higher temps or higher production. It keeps reseting itself after every 10 min and then takes 5 min to boot up. It does this for 4 hours straight.

tesla support seems to have no clue what the issue is and now I have to wait another month for someone to come. Any idea how to remove the red and black string wires from inverter? I’m thinking of removing 2 out of 3 strings to see if the issue is still happening and see if its caused by a particular string

Two different units doing the same thing leads me to believe that its not the inverter but what's feeding it. Maybe others will jump in because I'm certainly not an expert but my devices are outside and we hit 80 before noon. They need to send someone out to check the wiring from the panels down I would say.

Last edited:
Honestly I have low confidence in these tesla techs and the wait is over a month. My plan is to disconnect one string at a time and then see if the issue still happens. If i can narrow it down to one string then I can check all the connections.

One confusing part though is all strings show voltage in the UI so it if it was a bad connection then how would that work. I’m sure someone on the engineering team at tesla can figure this out but much less confident in their techs and level 1 support

Usually a small flat blade screwdriver works. Insert it in the square slot and tilt it up to release the cable clamp. Some don't need to be tilted and are pushed in further to release the cable clamp. Try it in one of the unused positions first so you can see how it goes.

Honestly I have low confidence in these tesla techs and the wait is over a month. My plan is to disconnect one string at a time and then see if the issue still happens. If i can narrow it down to one string then I can check all the connections.

One confusing part though is all strings show voltage in the UI so it if it was a bad connection then how would that work. I’m sure someone on the engineering team at tesla can figure this out but much less confident in their techs and level 1 support
Understood. Be careful poking around in there if you aren't sure how it works. I can send you a picture of mine tomorrow if you like, but that looks like it's connected correctly from what I can see. Three strings listed in the UI correct? Hope you get this one resolved.

Also, when you say the production goes to zero does that happen everyday or just some days when overcast or cloudy?

There doesn't seem to be any overheating faults so you should be good in the garage. I wanted mine there but oh well, that's what the warranty is for. We had three hail storms within two weeks and mine are still working fine with all that water. I was surprised honestly. Hang in there they will figure it out, just at the Tesla pace is all.

I will take a look today and post a screenshot of the UI showing the voltage and amps per string when the issue starts happening. If anyone here can post theirs as well during peak production that would be appreciated
Today is incredibly cloudy but if that clears I’ll reboot one of the devices and post the details if that will help.