Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Invites Consumers to Experience the Tesla Arcade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

After Tesla recently announced plans to offer more gaming options for the entertainment systems available in its cars, the automaker said Tuesday it is inviting consumers to showrooms to “experience the new Tesla Arcade.”

The company also tweeted a teaser video for a new racing game, Beach Buggy Racing 2, that is controlled with the vehicle’s steering wheel when the car is parked.

Chief Executive Elon Musk recently said on Twitter that the company is working on porting the Unity and Unreal video game engines, which are among the most popular development platforms for games.

Musk first revealed Tesla’s efforts to bring games to its cars last August when he announced the “TeslaAtari,” which includes classic titles like Centipede, Asteroids, Missile Command, Super Breakout and 2048.

Check out Tesla’s invitation to “Experience the Arcade” below.

Experience the Tesla ArcadeGlobal Tesla ShowroomsJune 18 — June 30Bring your friends and family to a Tesla showroom to experience the new Tesla Arcade until June 30.Access the full library of games directly from the vehicle’s touchscreen to play gaming classics like Atari Missile Command and Asteroids – or experience our newest addition, Beach Buggy Racing 2, a kart racing game where you can careen, blast and launch your way through 22 tracks. Players can recruit new drivers (see if you can find our favorite) and use the steering wheel controls for the most immersive gaming experience.If you’re interested in stopping by, kindly RSVP and visit a store near you.Learn more about the latest performance features during your visit or schedule a test drive for the real thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were to ask 100 Tesla owners what kind of software updates Tesla should be working on, I'm pretty sure every single one of them would say "anything BUT games."

True enough. There's lots of software features I'd like to see added way more than video games that I will never use anyway. On the other hand, "fun" enhancements like this and Dog Mode are part of the reason that Tesla feels so different than any other car manufacturer and definitely part of the "cool" factor when you show the car to a person who knows nothing about EVs. Then you tell them about range and the SuperCharger network and EAP and the amazing torque and road handling and software updates that make the car continuously better (instead of progressively falling apart like other cards). I don't think I've ever shown my car to anyone that didn't walk away at least thinking about what life would be like if they bought a Tesla.

You dont understand the software development process. You just cant take 9 women to have a baby in 1 month. You get to a point of diminished returns with adding people to a project. You end up doing more work managing work and merging work then actually making progress towards the end goal. So you have people doing additional things, you take intern and challenge them with things that arent in the mainline code base. Things that are isolated. You learn about these people and learn do we want to hire this person once they graduate. Do you want them really bad or are they a nice to have. Having talented software developers in the pipeline when in many ways you are a tech company is incredibly important.

Finally doing this does not in any way shape or form get in the way of hiring more customer service and more service people and more service centers.
I don't think you have never done automotive software development (or any software which needs safety certifications, such as ISO26262). Adding any code involves a lot of process to ensure the new code doesn't interfere with the old, already certified code. I have seen manufacturers re-spin chips for upwards of $1M cost, rather than change one line of code which has many requirements dependency links - a seemingly trivial change, but would trigger re-certification of entire software stack. Automotive code is not like bash scripting for your local PC, or even game development - there are a lot of interdependent parts and human safety at steak. For example, in this case, in order to double use the car controls for games, there will be code changes which may affect how those controls work (if for nothing else, to disable their functionality while playing a game, what if that functionality got disabled by accident while driving - "can't turn the steering wheel" for example - and yes, the servo driving the steering wheel will overpower most humans easily) which can affect normal operation, therefore it has to be thoroughly verified. Not only that, this now becomes additional burden for verification/certification for each subsequent release (make sure games don't interfere with normal operation of current and new code) - so added maintenance cost.

I would think they have weighed that the games sell more cars than some of the issues you mentioned, or even solving the Chademo or CCS adapter problem. I get it, our own priorities are always higher than the manufacturers. Still frustrating.
If they think they will sell more cars because it comes with a functionality of an underpowered gaming console, all the power to them (I don't believe it, as it would be easier to just connect a Nintendo Switch to the big screen and include it with the price of the car, but not my problem). I don't care about priorities of new features or endeavors, I do care about them delivering on features they already collected money for, solving problems with existing product such as service, parts, or yellowing screens.

Reactions: scottm
I have friends who HAVEN'T bought the car simply because of the music system liabilities. I wonder how many people HAVE bought the car because of the fart feature?​

The fart feature probably took less than month and has been seen on social media and websites tens of millions of times. If a record label promoted an artist with a viral video that cost $20k and was viewed by 20M to 50M people, would that be a bad investment?

• Informative
Reactions: bradhs
Feature request: KEYFOB SELF-PROGRAMMING for MS/MX

The ability to add or delete keyfobs on the MX and MS without a service center or ranger. They have enough backlog of real work without silly distractions like administering keys and valet cards. If they want to add a fart sound while making the key, I'm OK with that if it makes a developer available for the hour it takes to add the code (it's simply a flag setting and port patch because the code exists).

If the car is unlocked, by phone or keyfob, present the "locks" button (this capability and code is actually available in M3) in the menu items on the screen, a press of the "keyfobs" button on the screen then initiates a scan for all keyfobs/cards in range (I don't have an M3, so I don't know the M3 code structure doing this function, so I'm guessing how it could work). Those are listed. A selection of one of those then prompts either an add or delete button, based on whether that device is already in the computer or not.

This "scan" would also include future phone/watch/implants device scans that the car can pick up. Having both the car and the owner's phone call in over the internet to act as a key has left a lot of people unnecessarily stranded as well.

This feature would be pushed as a patch to all cars, regardless of support status.

While on the subject of keyfobs and apps, a car select button on apps and keyfobs that allows one keyfob to control more than one car in range would be nice so we only carry one device if we have access to more than one car.

I don't think you have never done automotive software development (or any software which needs safety certifications, such as ISO26262). Adding any code involves a lot of process to ensure the new code doesn't interfere with the old, already certified code. I have seen manufacturers re-spin chips for upwards of $1M cost, rather than change one line of code which has many requirements dependency links - a seemingly trivial change, but would trigger re-certification of entire software stack. Automotive code is not like bash scripting for your local PC, or even game development - there are a lot of interdependent parts and human safety at steak. For example, in this case, in order to double use the car controls for games, there will be code changes which may affect how those controls work (if for nothing else, to disable their functionality while playing a game, what if that functionality got disabled by accident while driving - "can't turn the steering wheel" for example - and yes, the servo driving the steering wheel will overpower most humans easily) which can affect normal operation, therefore it has to be thoroughly verified. Not only that, this now becomes additional burden for verification/certification for each subsequent release (make sure games don't interfere with normal operation of current and new code) - so added maintenance cost.

So you proved my point. It is complex and simply adding these developers to another part of the system is problematic. Still you want to see what they can do. Also remember that different systems in Tesla's are segregated from each other. You can reboot the center console while the car is in use. On rare occasions it does on it self. Had this happen on a Volt once and car had to be towed to be reset. So the Tesla Arcade is certainly isolated from other systems.

By the way tried to accidentally put the car in gear today while playing a game. It demanded I press the brake to put the car into gear.

Instead of more games, which I have no time nor interest in playing, I would appreciate the upgrade to the Model 3 to open the driver's door ONLY as an option - ensuring the safety of many of the women drivers who own Teslas and feel insecure when all the doors open on approach rather than just the one they want - and the fact of the delay for closure of all doors once we leave.

It's apparently available with the Models S and X. Stop farting around engineers and help women owners feel safe in the safest car around!!!!

If you were to ask 100 Tesla owners what kind of software updates Tesla should be working on, I'm pretty sure every single one of them would say "anything BUT games."
OH no ... NOT ME ... who needs 1/2 shafts replaced, with ones that don't rattle your teeth out - when lame tetris games can distract you from that, along with body panel gaps. Maybe add Pong ... & we'll all forget that FSD was announced back in what ... 2016? YEA, more video games please. weeee!
:rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: AKinDC
Tesla owners should show up at the stores and instead of watching the Tesla Arcade demo, they should ask when will Tesla have full support for USB music devices like every other car company in the world. Fast, responsive support for browsing music by artist, genre, album, track title, and playlist. This is music 101, and every car company in the world other than Tesla pretty much has support for this. It continues to be inexplicable that Tesla refuses to provide this support. I frankly could care less about the games, the farts, and the other easter eggs: I want decent music support, period.

Definitely agree.

Elon promised much better integration of music apps. and full function voice command of many systems (I would settle for media center, lights, wipers, and AC). Supposed to come out this Fall. Somewhere there are groups testing this currently, not just working on Atari integration.
Also, I do not want to see programmers doing tech support. I was a developer, manager, and also managed software debug teams that supported customer techies. Best to have them work technical issues reported by the on-board computers and service reps. Customer tech support is a whole different breed of person.

So you proved my point. It is complex and simply adding these developers to another part of the system is problematic. Still you want to see what they can do.
Not sure what your point was. Additiong unproven developers to any part of the software is equally problematic. Why not have them do something useful, like a better media player, better phone integration via BT, etc.

Not sure what your point was. Additiong unproven developers to any part of the software is equally problematic. Why not have them do something useful, like a better media player, better phone integration via BT, etc.
I dont know I am not making the staffing decisions. Could simply be they already have people working on those and adding to those teams doesnt make sense. My whole point IS WE DONT KNOW. And the financial arguments are even more stupid. Tesla financial success doesnt come down to they had some developers work on these games and that bankrupt the company. To me it is the opposite. Seeing Tesla spend money on stuff like this as well as continuing to build out the SuperCharger network tells me financially they are in a good place.

Allow me to address a couple of recurring themes in this discussion....

I never once said that the software developers should be moved into customer service. I'm really not sure why that has become a talking point.

What I said was Tesla has a serious customer service issue and company resources should not be wasted on such childish endeavors while there is glaring fundamental company-wide issues at hand. This doesn't mean you move software developers into customer service, it means you shift resources to where it's most needed. I

Tesla didn't have such big problems I wouldn't have a single thing to say about Atari games on my screen even though I personally will never play them and only view them as a drain on my aging cars resources. I'm really not sure why people keep saying that software developers shouldn't be doing customer service as this was never the intent of my comment and I felt that was pretty obvious.

Tesla has already shown they have no problem with letting a group of people go who don't suit whatever needs they currently have.

It would seem to me that if an admitted problem that Tesla has is customer service and budget cuts are also ongoing that they can't afford the resource strain that a team of people dedicated to porting 30-year-old video games into a car would put on the company.

Owners are still fighting daily to get some semblance of customer service. Parts are still taking months to be delivered. People are being told that loaners aren't available for them when previously they were. Firmware updates are being pushed to cars that aren't fully tested for bugs. People buying used cars from Tesla are having nightmare stories as regular occurrences. These are ALL giving Tesla a horrible name & every one of them could benefit from more money.

Tesla's focus has been spending cuts & yet my car will be getting another crappy game I couldn't care less about? Forgive me but I really don't think that this sort of financial discussion is "stupid" as you put it. Try as you may to disassociate the two they are financially linked and therefore one creates consequences for the other.

At best, channeling any financial resources into other areas wouldn't help those areas at all (highly unlikely) and coming out with things like old crappy pixelated games instead is just a bad look for Tesla who is in the midst of a customer service disaster. Even in this case Tesla can't afford that in the consumer's eyes right now. At worst, they are diverting financial resources to a team that is doing nothing to address any of the major issues that Tesla currently has and those financial resources could be better served to help overcome important issues Tesla is currently facing.

Stupid? Hardly.

Last edited:
Tesla owners should show up at the stores and instead of watching the Tesla Arcade demo, they should ask when will Tesla have full support for USB music devices like every other car company in the world. Fast, responsive support for browsing music by artist, genre, album, track title, and playlist. This is music 101, and every car company in the world other than Tesla pretty much has support for this. It continues to be inexplicable that Tesla refuses to provide this support. I frankly could care less about the games, the farts, and the other easter eggs: I want decent music support, period.

I frankly could care less about USB music devices. Nobody uses those.

Even though it's a separate team it's still company resources being channeled towards something worthless when they apparently don't have the resources for good customer service. It doesn't matter if it's one single employee (it isn't) that comprises the entire game team that one person can be devoted to customer service which is an admitted area that needs help.

I’m sure an e-Tron would fit you better - or an I-Pace. Those folks are all about customer service. Their tech stinks, but that’s not likely what you focus on.