Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is annoying me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe should have added that I was just about to leave town due to a family member with terminal cancer....maybe I'm just a little bitchy and stressed out. Sorry to all.

Reading this, I’m terribly sorry. I’m willing to cut a wide swath due to this, but in all seriousness, jjrandorin is correct. If you’re going to have a short fuse and flip over the small stuff, a Tesla may not be for you. It takes a little patience to deal with the growing pains - and yes, even with a decade of shipping cars, they’re still growing pains.

But, if you can take a hint from Queen Elsa, it’s totally worth it. Let it go.........

I took a deep breath and, after 3 hours of letting the phone ring, got a human on line. Just about everything got worked out, and they gave me a delivery date next week which makes my schedule much easier.

Thank you all

And as much as I appreciate online commerce, this is exactly the case where the human factor comes in. We all have many things to be dealing with, and just being able to talk to someone instead of an automated system changes the equation.

Again, so sorry to hear about your family - I just lost a close family member to cancer as well. Please go spend as much time with them as you can - family’s all we have that truly matters.

• Love
Reactions: Triplett
Buying a Tesla sucks.
Owning a Tesla sucks.
Driving a Tesla however...

As a guy who has spent all of my adult life managing businesses (sometimes successfully and, frankly, sometimes making a bit of a mess that requires fixing!) I often finding my mind wandering to just how friggin' invincible Tesla would be if the Company was run even halfway as well as the cars are great to drive. I am seriously very, very surprised that Elon does not get just how much his team is missing that part of the equation. I would absolutely LOVE to ask him why he either cannot make that part of the equation work OR thinks that it is good for his long terms goals that his team so underperforms in this area.

As a guy who has spent all of my adult life managing businesses (sometimes successfully and, frankly, sometimes making a bit of a mess that requires fixing!) I often finding my mind wandering to just how friggin' invincible Tesla would be if the Company was run even halfway as well as the cars are great to drive. I am seriously very, very surprised that Elon does not get just how much his team is missing that part of the equation. I would absolutely LOVE to ask him why he either cannot make that part of the equation work OR thinks that it is good for his long terms goals that his team so underperforms in this area.
So true. Tesla would absolutely take over if they could add these three “new” things to the company:

Quality Control
Software Testing (although the actual UI design could still be greatly improved)
Customer Service

Heck, with customer service, they could just get any cable company’s department and vastly improve!

I'm in the same position as you. Sometimes I think to myself "I should volunteer as a consultant and teach them how to run a company".

Example - I had to let the phone ring for 3 straight hours at the Marina Del Rey delivery center before someone picked up. Is it really too much trouble to assign one person just to answer phones and take messages? Really?

Reactions: dwalme
I'm in the same position as you. Sometimes I think to myself "I should volunteer as a consultant and teach them how to run a company".

Example - I had to let the phone ring for 3 straight hours at the Marina Del Rey delivery center before someone picked up. Is it really too much trouble to assign one person just to answer phones and take messages? Really?

Yes, Telsa is waaaaaaay too Techy / Silicon Valley for its own good in this regard. You can get away with garbage service and support when you are so leading edge that there is no alternative product / service that does what you've invented (or, at least does it nowhere near as well). But that very leading edge advantage technologically often creates a false sense that you don't need to run a "typical" business that generates goodwill and returning customers. IMHO Tesla has about one more year to fix this aspect of their business (answering phones, parts availability, prompt communication, coordination between its teams that are customer-facing, etc.) before it spells their downfall. I believe that these issues are far more of a risk than running out of money.

The reason I say one more year is that the "typical" Model 3 customer bought a car -- not a leading edge tech product. They don't necessarily subscribe to Elon's vision for saving the planet or are exceptionally early adopters and, at the end of the day, they want their cars to get from point A to B reliably every day and with a minimum of hassle.

Since Model 3 owners will represent the vast majority of Tesla owners by the end of this year (if they aren't already), the willingness of Tesla's installed customer base to accept parts delays of 3 months, no one answering the phone at its service centers, not being able to get an appointment at a service center for a month, having to pester the corporate office endlessly for 4 months when they owe you a refund, etc. will decline precipitously as time goes forward and the "well, they are a startup company it is to be expected" will cease being an acceptable answer entirely. Elon did not have to go mass market. The option to remain a niche car company WAS there. He chose mass market and mass market lives and dies also delivering the mass market customer service norms that both drive repeat business and engender goodwill among the installed bass -- especially when you spend nothing on marketing and require your installed bass to do that work for you.

BTW, I remain a HUGE fan of Tesla, but they really need to get their Sh&* together on this stuff. And continually being served up examples of Elon's ego and control-freak mentality? Sadly, it is not likely to happen...

Reactions: dwalme
I was told yesterday (first time I was told the car showed up at the SC) if I didn't pick up my car this weekend the VIN would be unassigned and I'd wait for another.

The delivery guy after speaking with the manager said there is nothing they can do. I'm driving several hours out of state to pick up and my fiance needs to be there too (it's hers). I said it has to be next Saturday the 15th. No go.

Talked to my owner advisor and simply said this is a terrible way to treat a returning customer and if there is no car to pickup on the 15th I'm going to cancel the order. All of a sudden the delivery manager found a way to keep the car assigned to me for pickup on the 15th.

This is the kind of BS that will prevent Tesla from penetrating mainstream Americans that have no problem driving ICE vehicles. Don't make it more difficult to buy the car. Hurts the mission.

Tesla is a technology company. Maybe a software company however Elon wants to bee too many things too quickly and the streching and inexperience makes managing the different fronts very challanghing while frustrating users and investors. Like the op I didn't have the stomach and patience to deal with all the short comings and eventually bailed.

At this point there are a couple of important considerantions, one being timing and two being competion.

Timing is a crucial factor for success. It might easily be that Tesla timing is a bit permature and that alone might seal its destinity. Being on the bleeding edge of a revolution is extremly risky.

The competion is fierce, it's skilled and has deep pockets. It's capitalizing on Tesla's vision and breakthroughs and will start eating its lunch.

As for us, we are all in owe by the techology shift, the instant torque and the quick acceleration... and letting us funboys overlook all the macroscopic defects that a young Tesla product is delivering including in primis the huge shortcoming of the energy distribution and delivery.

Twenty years from now most of us we will look back at Elon with a smile on our faces for all his genious but primarly for all his ingenuities.