Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is having my new X repainted, is there anything I can do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took delivery of my X close to a month ago. On our inspection we noticed two sizeable scratches. The delivery manager said they saw them in detailing, but didn't have time to get them out so I'd have to bring it back for their certified body shop to fix them. They said it would take a day.

Day 2, they call and say they can't get the scratches out. They have to repaint the door and blend it with the quarter and other door, and the 2nd scratch on the fender would also require paint. Long story short, they had to repaint 1/4 of the car.

Day 6 I go to pick it up and it looks terrible. The orange peel on the parts was like night and day from what the factory is. The manager totally agreed and said he'd send it right back for them to fix and he's never seen that type of poor work out of this place

I'm on day 15. I have a nice loaner, but my main concern is I paid for a brand new car, and with all this painting I feel I'm getting screwed. Won't this add extra depreciation as its not the factory paint job? It's essentially been in an accident and repaired at this point. I'm in Ohio for reference if anyone has any advice?

tl;dr
New X was scratched, repainted 1/4 of the car and I'm stuck with a not new new car.

So I took delivery of my X close to a month ago. On our inspection we noticed two sizeable scratches. The delivery manager said they saw them in detailing, but didn't have time to get them out so I'd have to bring it back for their certified body shop to fix them. They said it would take a day.

Day 2, they call and say they can't get the scratches out. They have to repaint the door and blend it with the quarter and other door, and the 2nd scratch on the fender would also require paint. Long story short, they had to repaint 1/4 of the car.

Day 6 I go to pick it up and it looks terrible. The orange peel on the parts was like night and day from what the factory is. The manager totally agreed and said he'd send it right back for them to fix and he's never seen that type of poor work out of this place

I'm on day 15. I have a nice loaner, but my main concern is I paid for a brand new car, and with all this painting I feel I'm getting screwed. Won't this add extra depreciation as its not the factory paint job? It's essentially been in an accident and repaired at this point. I'm in Ohio for reference if anyone has any advice?

tl;dr
New X was scratched, repainted 1/4 of the car and I'm stuck with a not new new car.
What color is your car?

If it is Pearl White it's going to be hard to color match.

I suggest you go to a really reputed Tesla Certified paint shop, and not the one you previously had your car sent to.

If it's that noticeable, then depreciation would certainly be a concern. I would demand they repaint until you're satisfied that it replicates the factory paint job.

It is common for traditional dealers to repaint part or all of a car before delivering it as new. Lots of cars are damaged during transit to the lot. I would expect Tesla to repaint it to "like new" condition but it's not reasonable to expect a new car.

This.

Plus, depreciating factors are from accidents not from situations like this. This is a "due bill" that they are delivering on, not a vehicle accident that brings to question the integrity of the vehicle. Even if it were a door ding that decidedly needed a paint correction, that wouldn't be a factor with depreciation.

The biggest factor that plays into depreciation is an act you already did...you bought it.

It is common for traditional dealers to repaint part or all of a car before delivering it as new. Lots of cars are damaged during transit to the lot. I would expect Tesla to repaint it to "like new" condition but it's not reasonable to expect a new car.

I can confirm. Literally two of my three German cars had been damaged in transit, and spent time with a body shop before or right around delivery. In one of the two cases I got to see the car in its damaged state, in the second case the delivery guy just sent it off to the body shop before telling me. At any rate, both cases, I inspected the car thoroughly after repair and could not tell that it's not factory. Nor could the lease turn-in inspection dude with his paint probe.

Overall, I wouldn't worry about paint defects on new delivery. I'd mainly prioritize getting a loaner to your satisfaction and due bill.

Reactions: Ski_