Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Is Officially Selling A Used Model 3 With Serious Paint Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A car in that condition should have gone right to auction, not ended up on the Tesla used car website.

People hate the dealer model, but this would not happen with any other car brand. Tesla often purchases a trade-in sight unseen and ends up with this junk. They have so much margin as they extend the warranty and activate features through software such that no traditional car brand can capture extra profit so it probably doesn't matter to Tesla to eat garbage like this. The sales staff at a traditional car dealer would revolt if they were given turkeys like this to sell.

Since Tesla has discontinued their certified pre-owned program the quality of the used stuff appears to be going downhill. This is where the "no dealers" business model hurts as you have no opportunity to inspect the car (or have it inspected) prior to purchase. Its a real pain to have to "order, pay, wait, inspect at delivery, refuse delivery, hound for a refund, wait a month or two to get the refund, restart process" to get a used Tesla, especially if you are financing (my bank was "thrilled" that Tesla had their loan money but I had no car, and I enjoyed making 2 months of car payments without a car).

People hate the dealer model, but this would not happen with any other car brand. Tesla often purchases a trade-in sight unseen and ends up with this junk. They have so much margin as they extend the warranty and activate features through software such that no traditional car brand can capture extra profit so it probably doesn't matter to Tesla to eat garbage like this. The sales staff at a traditional car dealer would revolt if they were given turkeys like this to sell.

Still confused... you are saying other dealerships wont sell a car with rust? Just bought my son a Chevy Silverado at the Chevy dealer 2 months ago with rust in areas. Really not getting this thread at all. Do people expect a used car to be a new car? I get that the price may be high, but that does not seem to be the contention.

Go to any established car brand and buy a $40K car and you would not see conditioning problems like you do at Tesla. They don't even clean the insides of cars before Tesla sells them in many cases. To have a brand defect like here in actual photos is an embarrassment. Yes, you can go to a fly-by-night used car dealership and see junk like this, but not any car brand selling recent models from their own factory.

Because they take your money first and require financing to be set up with an often sight-unseen car, you are bullied into buying garbage in many cases. Any self-respecting salesperson would quit.

Still confused... you are saying other dealerships wont sell a car with rust? Just bought my son a Chevy Silverado at the Chevy dealer 2 months ago with rust in areas. Really not getting this thread at all. Do people expect a used car to be a new car? I get that the price may be high, but that does not seem to be the contention.

Tesla is not a dealership, it is a manufacturer. They should not be in the business of representing cars for sale that are not in good condition. They have traditionally sent these cars to auction. I think this one just slipped through the cracks.

am I. missing something? just because they can sell the car doesn't mean they should. I think people seem to forget that Tesla is a premium brand. I challenge anyone to find a used BMW, Audi, Lexus or Mercedes with rust on a certified dealer's lot. As mentioning, the car seems to be under warranty still which would include the paint defect, if that is the case, I would like to know why in hell they would post such a grotesque photo without repairing before posting for sale. If I saw that before purchasing my Teslas, I don't think I would continue with the purchase. This leave non and possible Tesla owners to believe the company has very low standard. Im embarrassed for them.

Tesla is not a dealership, it is a manufacturer. They should not be in the business of representing cars for sale that are not in good condition. They have traditionally sent these cars to auction. I think this one just slipped through the cracks.
And then someone photographed it & said, "I think it can fetch $40,000" and uploaded it to their website. Who knows how many hands this had to go through before it ultimately made it there. Which is the funniest part.

And then there are people saying, "so what?" Which is the saddest part.

If there's one thing that's ever made me question my purchase, it's wondering whether I bought a good car, or bought into a cult.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I would say you bought a great car built by a company with brilliant engineers and run by a very juvenile business organization.

Lol I must admit there are cultish fractions of the Tesla community. Those that believe Tesla could do no wrong and ten there's those of us that love our vehicles but are able to critique the flaws. We also recognize that criticism is how we will make the company and the vehicle even better for the future.

Lol I must admit there are cultish fractions of the Tesla community. Those that believe Tesla could do no wrong and ten there's those of us that love our vehicles but are able to critique the flaws. We also recognize that criticism is how we will make the company and the vehicle even better for the future.
Criticism is the mother of improvement!

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I personally don't have a problem with Tesla selling this car as the condition is clear in the photos. They are on crack with that pricing though. I know its CAD but seriously they need to discount it more. Plus it looks bad for them since theres so few cars on their used side of the site anyways.

Of note my rocker panel paint is noticeably different and thicker than the higher up paint. Almost like when you look at a newer Silverado with the lumpier under paint. When I saw this I assumed they had addressed this crappily painted rocker panel issue. Can someone with a late 2019 - 2020 check their rocker and see if their paint is different down there.

I personally don't have a problem with Tesla selling this car as the condition is clear in the photos. They are on crack with that pricing though. I know its CAD but seriously they need to discount it more. Plus it looks bad for them since theres so few cars on their used side of the site anyways.

Of note my rocker panel paint is noticeably different and thicker than the higher up paint. Almost like when you look at a newer Silverado with the lumpier under paint. When I saw this I assumed they had addressed this crappily painted rocker panel issue. Can someone with a late 2019 - 2020 check their rocker and see if their paint is different down there.

I do notice the paint on the lower part of the rocker panel being a bit thicker with a different texture. Seems a lot more durable. I covered that area up with carbon mud guards to protect it. The regular mud guards will help as well. If you don't use them rust will form. Not sure if ppf will even help since rocks kicks up a lot around that area.

Are you people seriously defending this? It's one thing for a used car dealer to sell a car without warranty or certification to have imperfections and damage...but it's another for the MANUFACTURER to sell a car with serious defects as a certified car.

Some of you seriously need to pull your faces out of Elon's ass.

I don't have my nose up Elons ass. Its a car. Sometimes cars have rust. Does that mean you scrap the car? No it means you sell it for a lower value. They aren't hiding the rust or misrepresenting it as rust free or even calling it certified. Its just listed as a used car. Used cars can have rust. Does it look bad for Tesla, sure. Is it the best move for them to do, probably not, but I'm not going to act like they are doing something inherently wrong because they are not. They took in a used car and are selling it just like thousands of Americans do everyday. They took pictures of the problem areas to disclose them and slapped a price (IMO way too high) on to see if anyone wants it. If anything this is probably the most transparent used car sale in their system.

I don't have my nose up Elons ass. Its a car. Sometimes cars have rust. Does that mean you scrap the car? No it means you sell it for a lower value. They aren't hiding the rust or misrepresenting it as rust free or even calling it certified. Its just listed as a used car. Used cars can have rust. Does it look bad for Tesla, sure. Is it the best move for them to do, probably not, but I'm not going to act like they are doing something inherently wrong because they are not. They took in a used car and are selling it just like thousands of Americans do everyday. They took pictures of the problem areas to disclose them and slapped a price (IMO way too high) on to see if anyone wants it. If anything this is probably the most transparent used car sale in their system.
OMG !! You are soooo missing the point. You are comparing a multi billion dollar company to the average American selling their used family car? Come on mannn. You cannot give Kudos to said company for transparency. That is not the point. The main point is they should never in any circumstance have posted that wretched car on any website affiliated with them. That’s something I expect to see on Rich Rebuilds (lol). While I’m on my soap box, can anyone tell me why Tesla stopped certifying their used cars? I mean, your the manufacturer so I assume it washouts be fairly easy and cost effective to re certified them considering the limited moving parts.

Hoowhee, it sure is great seeing the Tesla apologists vs. the realists.

Sure, consumers can choose to not buy a $52,000 rusted 2 year old car, especially with the distance that's on it. It's completely ludicrous. However Tesla knows someone will, because fanboys.

And that's what I don't like about this. You wouldn't see this on a certified dealer lot (yes, I know Tesla isn't certified -- that's not an admirable thing, as is plainly evident). You wouldn't see this price on any other lot. But Tesla knows some blind fan will buy it, so they take advantage of it. That's gross.

I just found rust on mine in the door sills of all things, not even a year old. Not impressive. According to Tesla I can expect to sell this for an almost-new price though, so there's that! /s