Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla J1772 Adapter Melting on a JuiceBox 40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you ever figure out the issue with your EVSE? I'm using a Juicebox Pro 40 with my Model 3, and Juicebox GFI keeps getting tripped. Interestingly, all of these occurrences (so far?) have been while the handle is NOT plugged into the car. I've had the same issue with 3 brand new units, so emotorwerks is now pointing the finger at my charging adapter. Fortunately, I haven't noticed any problems actually charging my vehicle. I will try to visually inspect the Juicebox handle and my charging adapter in closer detail tonight.

What happens if you don't leave the adapter on the handle? Does it still trip the GFI at random when it isn't in use? I wouldn't even think you could trip it while not charging, as AC shouldn't be connected to the cable. (Or maybe it checks while the cable is open circuit?)

What happens if you don't leave the adapter on the handle? Does it still trip the GFI at random when it isn't in use? I wouldn't even think you could trip it while not charging, as AC shouldn't be connected to the cable. (Or maybe it checks while the cable is open circuit?)

I have the adapter connected 99% of the time, but yes: Last week, the Juicebox still emitted the 3-beep error when the adapter was not connected to the handle. (My EVSE has never charged anything other than my Model 3.) Here is emotorwerk's feedback to me when I initially complained to them:

The Ground Fault Interrupter is designed to prevent electrical shock, it triggers if conductor touches the "hot" wire and current is not flowing to the "neutral" at the same time.

With the JuiceBox if GFI is tripped it will start giving you 3 beep repeating pattern and cuts the output power for 15 minutes(it will reset when the 15 minutes expire), if 4 of such trips happen during a short period of time the JuiceBox enters error state and won't charge until it is power cycled.

False triggers are possible, but they should not occur on the regular basis (especially if the vehicle is not plugged it).
If you are sure that the charge handle is clean but JuiceBox's GFI keeps triggering, it may mean that either the charge handle's integrity is compromised or JuiceBox's GFI sensor is malfunctioning.

BTW, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to electricity/conductors/hot/neutral/current/GFI. I am inferring the Juicebox has its own GFI, and that this is a different component from my sub-panel's [50A] breaker that controls my 14-50 outlet. BTW, there is nothing else on this 50A circuit other than my 14-50 outlet, and for the record, this 50A breaker has never tripped on its own.

Sounds like the J1772 on the juicebox. I have two of these chargers and charge an MX and an M3 at 40A each and have done so for months - zero issue

These "3-beep" alerts are kind of hard to catch--especially for me considering I'm hearing impaired. Also, the beeps eventually stop after a few mins or so, and based on what emotorwerks told me, there no way for the end-user to track when these GFI issues occur (other than to hear it when it happens). Do you think it's possible that yours beeps as well, but you may not be around to catch it? Like I said, the unit seems to be charging my car without issue. Although our EVSE is located in our garage, we have a small house and everyone else can hear it except for me.

Were you ever able to discern which was the culprit? I also use a JuiceBox 40A and the Tesla supplied SAE J1772 Adapter. Just last night, my adapter melted and took a piece of the J1772 charger with it when disconnected.

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpeg
    IMG_1809.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_4572.jpeg
    IMG_4572.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 177
FWIW, l suspect my particular issue wasn’t related to anyone else’s. I since returned my JB, and it sounds like my issues were due to excessive electrical interference of some sort. While I had the JB, I don’t think my Tesla adapter ever overheated as I couldn’t see any malformations. Good luck.

Out of curiosity, for those using Juicenet/Juicebox app: What temperatures are you seeing while charging at various amperes and how hot is too hot? While charging at 40A I've seen 88 degrees but typically see 80 degrees at <24A. I was getting a little concerned when the cord where the J1772 plug meets gets a little hot while charging at 40A.

My first guess would be a poor connection between the J1772 handle and the adapter or a loose connection within the handle. Cleaning the contacts would be a good idea, especially the ones in the melted hole, and check that the pin and socket look well shaped. If the J1772 handle comes apart easily you could check the internal connections to make sure everything is tight. Running at lower amps should help everything stay cooler until you find the problem.
Beware of the Ebay offers for these chargers. I got burned.