Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla just canceled my order [on solar panels for a new house being built]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
I put an order in for a NEW house being built a few weeks ago. There was a house there that I have electric bill from we had lived in. Same meter there now for temp power. So that’s all good.

They have an option for “is this a new home” and I chose that.

They still wanted pictures so I gave them pics of the plans. Which are way more detailed than pictures.

They also wanted pictures of the Panel. I gave them a Home Depot of Panel they might use :) They can choose !!!

House will be ready to install solar in 8-10 weeks.

They want an electric bill after I’m in.

No, I want to get in the queue and get the tax credit this year. The system I want probably will never cover all my usage due to a lot of shading. Looking for just 12-15Kw

I want to plan this out WHILE they build the house so I can accommodate the house for Solar. Like panel choice. Where power comes in. Possible chases for wiring so they don’t have to hack it on a built house.

What if I wanted a Solar Roof. You gonna put on a $10K roof and then tear it off and put it the dump?

Tried calling the number before they canceled it at all hours. Kept saying they are CLOSED.

I’ve had several other local estimates.

This is in NH BTW. Eversource power.

You will want to go with one of your "several other local estimates" but I am sure you already know that.
I’d like to go with Tesla because there initial estimate is about 25% less. Before I did order with Tesla the the local bid was twice the price of Tesla. But I found a new local bid that is better. But still, I’d like to save 25% (about $10K) if I can.

I’d like to go with Tesla because there initial estimate is about 25% less. Before I did order with Tesla the the local bid was twice the price of Tesla. But I found a new local bid that is better. But still, I’d like to save 25% (about $10K) if I can.

You are likely not going to be able to go with tesla for solar panels until the house exists / is permitted, etc. To answer your solar roof question, tesla has a specific setup for dealing with solar roof and new construction, but I dont hear a lot of stories about it, nor do I think they would necessarily coordinate that well.

For panels, no such coordination that I have ever read about. If you want to save that money, you are going to need to do it the way tesla wants, and they are not going to coordinate installing panels on a house by the plans.

I would imagine you can talk to the builder of your home to tell them you intend to put on solar panels and have them include routing for wires etc, but tesla is not going to work with them on that. I am not surprised in the least they canceled that order as they dont want to deal with that in that state, and I also would be surprised if YOU were surprised they canceled it.

You are likely not going to be able to go with tesla for solar panels until the house exists / is permitted, etc. To answer your solar roof question, tesla has a specific setup for dealing with solar roof and new construction, but I dont hear a lot of stories about it, nor do I think they would necessarily coordinate that well.

For panels, no such coordination that I have ever read about. If you want to save that money, you are going to need to do it the way tesla wants, and they are not going to coordinate installing panels on a house by the plans.

I would imagine you can talk to the builder of your home to tell them you intend to put on solar panels and have them include routing for wires etc, but tesla is not going to work with them on that. I am not surprised in the least they canceled that order as they dont want to deal with that in that state, and I also would be surprised if YOU were surprised they canceled it.
Builder has no clue where a Solar installer will want channels. They don’t even know which roofs will be used.

They gave a “new house” as an option !!!

There is absolutely is no reason they can’t sketch out a design with plans. The house will be built by the time they come out. I’d certainly understand them wanting to review things after it was up.

The house is permitted.

What does “that state” got to do with it?

I also spoke to someone online before I put the order in and they said it should be fine.

There was no means to communicate anything once I put the order in.

So yeah when I chose “new home” and it asked for a picture of meter, panel and house I wasn’t to surprised it wouldn’t go as planned. But I didn’t expect them to cancel. I expected a call.

I might wait 10 weeks or so I can show pictures of the shell being up.

Builder has no clue where a Solar installer will want channels. They don’t even know which roofs will be used.

They gave a “new house” as an option !!!

There is absolutely is no reason they can’t sketch out a design with plans. The house will be built by the time they come out. I’d certainly understand them wanting to review things after it was up.

The house is permitted.

What does “that state” got to do with it?

I also spoke to someone online before I put the order in and they said it should be fine.

There was no means to communicate anything once I put the order in.

So yeah when I chose “new home” and it asked for a picture of meter, panel and house I wasn’t to surprised it would go as planned. But I didn’t expect them to cancel. I expected a call.

I might wait 10 weeks or so I can show pictures of the shell being up.

"That state" = Not a built house. Also, "Is this a new house" does not = "Is this new construction". I suspect they are asking that question for the purposes of knowing whether they are going to have a years worth of electrical data, or going to have to submit the form for "data not present" to the utility, not because they are willing to deal with new construction.

Also, I am not arguing for Tesla or anything, just pointing out that its my opinion that they are not interested in "dealing with" a house in "that state" meaning "not built and ready to be lived in". Its my belief you are wasting your time with Tesla trying to engage them on solar panels at any state before your home is completely done.

its also my belief that you are not surprised by this, just frustrated or wanting to vent.

In any case, good luck, but I dont think "10 weeks and a shell" is going to make a single bit of difference.

"That state" = Not a built house. Also, "Is this a new house" does not = "Is this new construction". I suspect they are asking that question for the purposes of knowing whether they are going to have a years worth of electrical data, or going to have to submit the form for "data not present" to the utility, not because they are willing to deal with new construction.

Also, I am not arguing for Tesla or anything, just pointing out that its my opinion that they are not interested in "dealing with" a house in "that state" meaning "not built and ready to be lived in". Its my belief you are wasting your time with Tesla trying to engage them on solar panels at any state before your home is completely done.

its also my belief that you are not surprised by this, just frustrated or wanting to vent.

In any case, good luck, but I dont think "10 weeks and a shell" is going to make a single bit of difference.
It says right on the first page for Solar

“My home is new or being built”

Sounds like you are making up stuff as you go. Thanks for your help.

I picked option two and it took my deposit.

71E59960-8325-4599-A37C-F60A53D0FE98.jpeg

Bottom line: Tesla has a surfeit of potential customers and is choosing SOP/cookie cutter installs at the moment.

So, yes, your options are a cheap $10k roof that will get torn off in favor of a solar roof (and add to the cost),
or putting on a "traditional" roof and getting solar whenever Tesla gets around to it
OR going with a third party.

What Tesla does not do is custom; custom timing, customization on the install, customization on the types of materials, etc. Some customers have had success at installation time for minor rerouting of conduit and the like, but don't get your hopes up. Some customers, some times.

If you want it this your way, go with a third party installer; you will get what you sign up for. If you want Tesla, be relaxed, and be prepared to do whatever they want to do.

Observationally, squeaky wheels and Tesla tend to turn into cancellations. Sorry.

Oh, with Tesla do be prepared for a certain amount of vapor ware, like the website that lists "homes under construction", but it isn't really supported in your area, or perhaps anywhere. That is just the way they do things.

All the best,

BG

It says right on the first page for Solar

“My home is new or being built”

Sounds like you are making up stuff as you go. Thanks for your help.

I picked option two and it took my deposit.

View attachment 794142

Sure, right, I havent ordered panels for a new construction home myself. I am just giving you what I have observed of tesla "success" stories here with new construction homes. I cant remember very many (if any) people posting here that "yeah my new construction solar PANEL project went great through Tesla.

In fact, I cant remember a single one of those being posted here. I also remember people ordering solar roofs struggling, and I also dont remember a successful solar roof posting on new construction here, but there probably is a couple of those.

Tesla operates Tesla energy support with the same level of support as the vehicles. Perhaps that helps set expectations.

EDIT: I should say that I have had good support from tesla, both energy and vehicles.... but what I have needed in all cases but one was pretty simple. The not so simple thing took quite a long bit of time, and some continuous (polite) prodding. I ended up getting what I was after, but it took a very long time, a lot of patience, etc.

Last edited:
I would have maybe discussed Solar roof with them but I knew they would never get the timing right. I’m not leaving a post and beam house with a bare roof waiting on their schedule to roof it. And I’m not gonna roof it and then tear it off.

Actually after talking to a local installer he had a suggestion that made the whole thing simpler. It would be just two rectangle sections. 12 on the garage (which already exists) facing south. And 18 on a shed dormer roof. They won’t even be visible.

I like to know what they want for conduit between house and garage. While it’s not back filled. What side would be better for power to come in. What panel works easier. Lots of simple stuff that could make it come out better and be simpler. They rather be constrained and charge you to change it.

One other suggestion I would have for you is to work with your home builder to re-route any roof penetrations away from any roof surface where the panels will go. My design had to accommodate two furnace vents and several plumbing vents. It would have been a lot cleaner if those were not there. But builders tend to put those on the side of the roof facing away from the street by default. I agree with other posters here... Tesla has a pre-engineered formula and process for their systems and if you go outside that formula it will have an impact. I changed the panel count on my roof and that churned the design and added costs and some delay, but for me it was worth it. While the web site may have options for this it doesn't seem like that gets done very often. I've not seen it personally but I'm not as knowledge as others. You are asking them to work outside their normal process and their margins are pretty slim. So it is not a surprise they don't want to do it. There are plenty of other customers who fit their formular better. As the suggestion was made, a local solar company might be a better fit, or wait until you can at least have a finished roof and electric panel to fit into their formula. That should not be long. We built the house we are in now and we had a roof in about 45 days or so into construction. The likely won't even schedule installation until you have closed on the house anyway.

One other suggestion I would have for you is to work with your home builder to re-route any roof penetrations away from any roof surface where the panels will go. My design had to accommodate two furnace vents and several plumbing vents. It would have been a lot cleaner if those were not there. But builders tend to put those on the side of the roof facing away from the street by default. I agree with other posters here... Tesla has a pre-engineered formula and process for their systems and if you go outside that formula it will have an impact. I changed the panel count on my roof and that churned the design and added costs and some delay, but for me it was worth it. While the web site may have options for this it doesn't seem like that gets done very often. I've not seen it personally but I'm not as knowledge as others. You are asking them to work outside their normal process and their margins are pretty slim. So it is not a surprise they don't want to do it. There are plenty of other customers who fit their formular better. As the suggestion was made, a local solar company might be a better fit, or wait until you can at least have a finished roof and electric panel to fit into their formula. That should not be long. We built the house we are in now and we had a roof in about 45 days or so into construction. The likely won't even schedule installation until you have closed on the house anyway.

I own the property. I owned the house before it and tore it down so nothing to “close”. Original power and electric bills exists. So I have “history”. It was also high use because it was all electric with minimal insulation.

It will now be geothermal and have no chimney.

But you bring up a great point it will have a plumbing vent. And that might come up at the shed roof I want panels on. In the exact wrong spot I could lose several panels.

Also the whole second floor is vaulted and there is no attic.

Reactions: GadgetGary
Ah just wait until u can provide all pics of panel, roofline, AC units, etc. if doing panels. They will do a site visit assessment (or two) as well.

We started ours as soon as I could get all those pics done. The electric bill can be an old one or just estimate if ya need.

Ah just wait until u can provide all pics of panel, roofline, AC units, etc. if doing panels. They will do a site visit assessment (or two) as well.

We started ours as soon as I could get all those pics done. The electric bill can be an old one or just estimate if ya need.
Like I said I want to work WITH them not band-aide after.

Usage is a wild ass guess. I have one EV I might switch to two. I might continue to work at home, but that might change. It is currently a vacation home and we will move to it, not sure when. I could vary my usage by 200% easy. Don’t know the future. I know what size system I want and what will fit and it probably won’t cover all my usage once moved in. Also might take some more trees down in the future, might not.

I can see it now, oh I wish you used panel X instead of Y. Or you did Z wrong so you can’t do W. Or I wish that vent pipe was over two feet we could have put two more panels and not be as ugly.

It makes sense to co-ordinate.

My guess is the shell would be up by the time they first came out. I just wanted a place in the queue and I don’t want them installing, in winter. Now it’s gonna be 2-3 months later. Also shortages and inflation could come into to play, big time. Especially where LG dropped out.

Sorry I’m trying to apply logic here.

It’s literally stupid to wait until it’s all built. Then patch it on. 1/2 of it will go on an existing garage. What do they need for conduits between house and garage? What size service do they recommend. What hooks do I need if I want the option of a powerwall.

Local guys can do it, Tesla can do it with Solar Roof, why Can’t Tesla do it with Solar Panels.

51852596631_b7bb7542c4_b_d.jpg

That simply isnt going to happen, in my opinion.

I realize this is anecdotal, but I have had 2 different Tesla electricians at my house doing "stuff" in relation to my tesla energy products (solar and powerwall). During conversations with them, I found out that they both live in the neighboring cities around me (so they are local to me).

BOTH of them have PV on their homes. One had solar + powerwalls, the other had solar. BOTH of them are electricians for tesla, and perform installs of solar + powerwalls FOR TESLA. They are tesla employees, not third party employees, with tesla email addresses etc.

BOTH of them wanted to make changes to the design that tesla energy designers had laid out for their home, because they knew of some local ordinance or other that did or did not apply to their situation, and they wanted more panels.

NEITHER of them were able to talk directly to the Tesla designer to make these changes. In fact, one of them gave up and just went with the design that was there and took a "nike" attitude after the fact to "make some changes" and the other one had to look up the permit that was filed with the city to get the name of the designer, then sent the designer an email from their tesla account, simply to talk to them to suggest some changes.

You will not be able to "work with" a Tesla designer, as they are not customer facing and in no instance that I have ever heard of do they ever talk to a customer. All interface will be with tesla through a project team. The designer is the person who might be able to make recommendations, and they are not going to talk to you.

You obviously want "Tesla price" but have expectations of a somewhat high touch process that they do not provide, at least not in any case I have ever read about or heard about.

I realize this is anecdotal, but I have had 2 different Tesla electricians at my house doing "stuff" in relation to my tesla energy products (solar and powerwall). During conversations with them, I found out that they both live in the neighboring cities around me (so they are local to me).

BOTH of them have PV on their homes. One had solar + powerwalls, the other had solar. BOTH of them are electricians for tesla, and perform installs of solar + powerwalls FOR TESLA. They are tesla employees, not third party employees, with tesla email addresses etc.

BOTH of them wanted to make changes to the design that tesla energy designers had laid out for their home, because they knew of some local ordinance or other that did or did not apply to their situation, and they wanted more panels.

NEITHER of them were able to talk directly to the Tesla designer to make these changes. In fact, one of them gave up and just went with the design that was there and took a "nike" attitude after the fact to "make some changes" and the other one had to look up the permit that was filed with the city to get the name of the designer, then sent the designer an email from their tesla account, simply to talk to them to suggest some changes.

You will not be able to "work with" a Tesla designer, as they are not customer facing and in no instance that I have ever heard of do they ever talk to a customer. All interface will be with tesla through a project team. The designer is the person who might be able to make recommendations, and they are not going to talk to you.

You obviously want "Tesla price" but have expectations of a somewhat high touch process that they do not provide, at least not in any case I have ever read about or heard about.
Good data. Thx.

Amazing that even Tesla employees have the same experience lol.

There is a significant manpower cost in coordination. Construction doesn't happen in a vacuum it's a coordination between many different trades under a GC. Our company charges proportionally more for this type of construction and it often includes changes in the process.

It's easy to come in after the fact, but it also severely limits your options as far as aesthetics, internal wiring, equipment locations etc.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Amazing that even Tesla employees have the same experience lol.

I had some interesting conversations with both of them, for sure. Neither of them had "just gotten there" at Tesla, either. One had been there 5-6 years, the other one 4-5 years.

BTW @mswlogo , thats a beautiful house in that picture.

Last edited:

Usage is a wild ass guess. I have one EV I might switch to two. I might continue to work at home, but that might change. It is currently a vacation home and we will move to it, not sure when. I could vary my usage by 200% easy. Don’t know the future. I know what size system I want and what will fit and it probably won’t cover all my usage once moved in. Also might take some more trees down in the future, might not.

I can see it now, oh I wish you used panel X instead of Y. Or you did Z wrong so you can’t do W. Or I wish that vent pipe was over two feet we could have put two more panels and not be as ugly.

It makes sense to co-ordinate.

My guess is the shell would be up by the time they first came out. I just wanted a place in the queue and I don’t want them installing, in winter. Now it’s gonna be 2-3 months later. Also shortages and inflation could come into to play, big time. Especially where LG dropped out.

Sorry I’m trying to apply logic here.

It’s literally stupid to wait until it’s all built. Then patch it on. 1/2 of it will go on an existing garage. What do they need for conduits between house and garage? What size service do they recommend. What hooks do I need if I want the option of a powerwall.

Local guys can do it, Tesla can do it with Solar Roof, why Can’t Tesla do it with Solar Panels.

51852596631_b7bb7542c4_b_d.jpg
Wow, that is a nice-looking house and piece of property