Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla knows I ordered Model 3 parts for my car but I don't want insurance to be aware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had a small accident a few days ago
Broke my back headlight and bumper while trying to parallel park

Went to a repair shop, and they just ordered the parts to be fixed. I am not going through insurance (I have Tesla insurance), because it's a rather small repair and I don't want my rates to go up.

But, I just received an email from Tesla saying my parts have been ordered, with my VIN number. So Tesla is aware. Is that a problem with insurance? Could they raises my rates?

Also side note, before I went to any repair shop, I received an email from Tesla on Monday at 8am saying I should visit repair shops. Did the car sent a report to Tesla without me knowing?

Reactions: APotatoGod
Only *claims* against your insurance (and moving violations) should affect your rates.

Alright so I *should* be good then? Sorry if it's a stupid question but that's my first car and the first time I'm insured (in the US, I'm not American either), so I am completely unaware how all of this works. Because right now there's no way Tesla Insurance doesn't know I didn't get into an accident (especially if the car sent something by itself), so I thought they could raise rates just by knowing that.

Alright so I *should* be good then? Sorry if it's a stupid question but that's my first car and the first time I'm insured (in the US, I'm not American either), so I am completely unaware how all of this works. Because right now there's no way Tesla Insurance doesn't know I didn't get into an accident (especially if the car sent something by itself), so I thought they could raise rates just by knowing that.
Yes, you should be okay.

Do you know the "deductable" on your insurance? you should know that too.

Not that anyone would inflate a bill to use up your deductable + some for the insurance for the insurance company to pay.
Sadly, it seems "free market" in the US seem to be "free to scam you customers in any way we can dream up".

• Informative
Do you know the "deductable" on your insurance? you should know that too.

Not that anyone would inflate a bill to use up your deductable + some for the insurance for the insurance company to pay.
Sadly, it seems "free market" in the US seem to be "free to scam you customers in any way we can dream up".

I don't know the deductable, I should actually really make my research on all of that, it's irresponsible on my part.

Reactions: Brando
I suspect that insurance is largely "firewalled" from the rest of the company. California has a pretty heavily regulated insurance industry, and there are a lot of restrictions about what an insurance company can use to modify your rates. Also, as mentioned if you do not make a claim for the damages then there is no basis for Tesla to change your rates based on claim history.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Just be aware that states like CA require you report any accident damage off $500 (I think) and over. What you do otherwise is up to you.

DMV can issue points for an accident. But often doesn't.
Insurance (either) party can also issue DMV points, depending on fault determination on either side. But this varies by company.

Just went through this. So far I involved insurance but no points from any side.

Tesla is "unlikely" to report. Do you have Tesla insurance. How would they know other? How do they know for accident?

Just be aware that states like CA require you report any accident damage off $500 (I think) and over. What you do otherwise is up to you.

DMV can issue points for an accident. But often doesn't.
Insurance (either) party can also issue DMV points, depending on fault determination on either side. But this varies by company.

Just went through this. So far I involved insurance but no points from any side.

Tesla is "unlikely" to report. Do you have Tesla insurance. How would they know other? How do they know for accident?
He backed into a parked car and the owner of the truck let him go. He’s just replacing his own tail lights. :)

• Love
Reactions: cerealzealot
Went to a repair shop, and they just ordered the parts to be fixed. I am not going through insurance (I have Tesla insurance), because it's a rather small repair and I don't want my rates to go up.

But, I just received an email from Tesla saying my parts have been ordered, with my VIN number. So Tesla is aware. Is that a problem with insurance? Could they raises my rates?

Just know that some body shops sell their information to places like Carfax, so it is possible that your repair will show up there.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Only *claims* against your insurance (and moving violations) should affect your rates.

This is not true. The head of Tesla Insurance said that when legally available the will use much more. That is their biggest advantage. Everything from location, miles driven, speeding, driving over the line, autopilot usage, hard breaking, INTERNAL CAMERA, and hundreds of other factors. They currently do not use all of these as they want to make sure it's legal and be upfront to everyone.
Right now some companies use acceleration, braking, speeding and other variables via a phone app or adjust your pricing.

Just know that some body shops sell their information to places like Carfax, so it is possible that your repair will show up there.

If you aren't making an insurance claim, CarFax shouldn't be told about it, which is where it will (slightly) ding the resale value of the car.

But, make sure the body shop doesn't tell anyone (ex: CarFax) about the repair. Get that in writing.

Tesla don't care, and won't tell CarFax.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Just to build on some things in this thread. You should make your deductible the highest you can afford to come out of pocket. It will lower your premium, but also make you less likely to file a claim for anything under $1-$2K. As others have mentioned, if you do not claim it on insurance it will not go the vehicle history, which is important for resale.

• Informative
Just to build on some things in this thread. You should make your deductible the highest you can afford to come out of pocket. It will lower your premium, but also make you less likely to file a claim for anything under $1-$2K. As others have mentioned, if you do not claim it on insurance it will not go the vehicle history, which is important for resale.

I'm not sure having a high deductible would make much difference to the monthly payment.

We have a $500 deductible, but would only consider making a claim for something that would cost many thousands to fix. Avoiding minor claims is a good way to keep down your monthly payment.

• Informative
I'm not sure having a high deductible would make much difference to the monthly payment.

We have a $500 deductible, but would only consider making a claim for something that would cost many thousands to fix. Avoiding minor claims is a good way to keep down your monthly payment.

That is why I said the maximum you can comfortably afford. It makes a worthwhile difference in your premium over the typical 6 months policy. For example, on my policy the difference between the lowest deductible and highest over 6 months is $175. Insurance is all a risk assessment, and that is a risk I am personally willing to take.

Except as previously stated in thread accidents $500 in say CA are supposed to self reported per CA law. Regardless of filing a claim or not. Again DMV can choose to issue points on license based on report. This would get picked by insurance likely at next renewal. Just saying.

• Informative