Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla launches Model 3 Highland refresh in North America - No Performance model listed as of 01.10.2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally speculative question, but is there any chance the Highland Model 3 might be eligible for the tax credit in the future? I’m assuming they would need to change the battery pack for it to qualify but if sales slow down it seems like they might be open to making the change to stimulate sales.

I don't think stimulus is needed anymore. But, I don't know, aren't there some incentives even if battery is not American made?
The Model Y and X still qualify and the tax credit was renewed in 2024 with the added incentive of a point of sale rebate to enhance the benefit of the credit. So I don’t think the issue is whether stimulus is needed. It comes down to where the materials are sourced.

The Model Y and X still qualify and the tax credit was renewed in 2024 with the added incentive of a point of sale rebate to enhance the benefit of the credit. So I don’t think the issue is whether stimulus is needed. It comes down to where the materials are sourced.

I think Tesla expected their own in-house batteries to be in much wider production by now. They're finding that beating incumbent battery companies is much harder than incumbent automakers.

So the 3 SR and 3 LR have Chinese source batteries (CATL and LG). Panasonic is building another factor in Oklahoma but it will take a few years. Nevada Panasonic may be maxed out and Tesla would rather put those in model Y to get tax credits, the Y is more profitable because of higher price.

Reactions: E90alex
I think Tesla expected their own in-house batteries to be in much wider production by now. They're finding that beating incumbent battery companies is much harder than incumbent automakers.

So the 3 SR and 3 LR have Chinese source batteries (CATL and LG). Panasonic is building another factor in Oklahoma but it will take a few years. Nevada Panasonic may be maxed out and Tesla would rather put those in model Y to get tax credits, the Y is more profitable because of higher price.
This.

They probably expected by now to 1) have 4680 energy density on par if not better than 2170 and 2) 4680 production to be exponentially higher than it is now.

Their original plan was probably to move more Model Y volume onto 4680 and keep 2170 for Model 3 and remaining Model Y, on top of using 4680 for Cybertruck, Semi, Roadster 2.0 etc.

But since 4680 has missed its targets in energy density and production capacity, they had to reshuffle and abandon 4680 Model Y entirely (at least for now) to have cells for the Cybertruck and move Model 3 to the LG cells in order to keep Model Y on the Panasonic cells.

Reactions: X Fan and DrChaos
For those in the Northern California area, the Tesla store in Walnut Creek, CA now has a Highland Model 3 on display. They did a semi-private showing for the local owners club this evening. I took a few quick pictures, unfortunately the ones of the front of the car and the rear seating row weren't usable.

I think this is a RWD model. Also the wheels look blue because they're illuminated by blue lights on the floor (not included with the car I presume!).

Bruce.

View attachment 1007859

Interesting, the steering wheel in my Highland from Shanghai looks a little different than this one.

On the left side I only have 3 icons (blinkers and high beam) and on the right side the camera icon is different and the TACC icon is placed a little lower on mine.

I wonder what other changes there might be.

I also noticed that in the car in the photo above the inside of the went hasn't been put together correctly si it does sit correctly. See the inside of the went near the left side of the weel.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Interesting, the steering wheel in my Highland from Shanghai looks a little different than this one.

On the left side I only have 3 icons (blinkers and high beam) and on the right side the camera icon is different and the TACC icon is placed a little lower on mine.

I wonder what other changes there might be.

I also noticed that in the car in the photo above the inside of the went hasn't been put together correctly si it does sit correctly. See the inside of the went near the left side of the weel.
Picture please.

Picture please.
A 10-second Google search provided this:

Lead-016-2024-Tesla-Model-3-RWD-Short-Range-2.jpg

Versus bmah's picture:

IMG_2942.JPG

Reactions: Falcon73
They have a Highland Model 3 in Newport Beach so I had a chance to sit in one and take a close look at it. It’s very nice. Not wildly different looking than the current model but enough subtle changes to make it a very nice upgrade. But the lack of available tax credit for purchases makes it a non-starter for me. I’m going to wait for the refreshed Model Y (Juniper) to come out and hopefully that one will still have the tax credit available.

Attachments

• IMG_0496.jpeg
    IMG_0496.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 26
to clarify, opinion only - except for an EV with tax credits, I won't buy a car retail / new. so buying a new 3 without tax credits puts it in the "financial events I will not participate in" category. I use my vehicles as tools, not personal statements, and I think of tax credits, and (somewhat passive) business related tax deductions as the Government's / IRS's gift to W2 wage slaves such as myself. so a new (insert consumer brand car here) is a thing I won't do out of principle.

in what feels like another life, I bought a Japanese sports car brand new, paid a markup, and absolutely demolished a lot of very expensive and ineffective prey on the track. then I would take the same car and commute 5 days a week to work, to prove a point. I still think back on that fondly. I have more important things to do with car money nowadays, but gosh dang that was a fun time to be alive. in that sense, I understand why people might want a new Tesla because that makes them happy, with or without a tax credit.

272/248 mi range for RWD with 18"/19" wheels.
341/305 mi range for LR with 18"/19" wheels.
P is MIA but I'd suspect it will be around 275-285 mi with its 20s when/if it hits.
My experience, and others will chide me of course, is that out of those estimated figures you'll actually realize more like:

Estimated = Likely Actual
272/248 = 184/177
341/305 = 243/218
285/275 = 203/196

If Tesla would refrain from exaggerating range to sell their vehicles, they may get more buyers. I won't buy another one. As Anthony Weldon noted back in 1650, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!"

Pretty sure Hertz isn't going to buy anymore: Hertz is selling 20,000 electric vehicles to buy gasoline cars instead

Here's a couple of interesting articles:

Note where Tesla falls or maybe "fails" is the correct verb in the below chart, ostensibly the worst offender:

range-reality-103-64c41f159c769.jpg

Last edited: