Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Lawrence telling me buyers of pre-owned cannot purchase extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the original owner is the only one with the option to buy the extended warranty.

Some people have been arranging sales where the original owner purchases the extended warranty as part of the sale then transfers it to the new owner.

And, yes, it is an odd policy by Tesla.

First I've heard of this.

Can anyone who bought a pre-owned vehicle check their MyTesla for warranty purchase option and confirm?

For a high profit margin item, they sure are trying hard to avoid taking my money!

I heard from my SC yesterday that extended warranties cannot be transferred if the car sold at a used car dealer

Both of these are true, you just need to look at the terms and conditions of the actual plan:

Page 1:
"These Tesla Motors, Inc.1 (“Tesla”) Vehicle Extended Service Terms and Conditions (“Vehicle ESA”) cover the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla of the subject Vehicle that occur under normal use in the event of a Failure for the selected period of time or mileage (whichever occurs first), with coverage becoming available on and retroactive to the date that Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires (the “Effective Date”), provided that You are the initial purchaser of the Vehicle directly from Tesla and purchase this Vehicle ESA no later than 30 days after such expiration date, or are the recipient of a valid transfer of this ESA pursuant to this Vehicle ESA."

Page 6:
"The following conditions are required for the valid transfer of this Vehicle ESA:
You may not transfer this Vehicle ESA to a vehicle dealer or to the customer of a vehicle dealer."
https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...ments/na_tesla_warranty_plan_agreement_ot.pdf

I should note, if you are buying directly from Tesla, it may be a different case.

Last edited:
Model X owners have not been given an opportunity to buy the extended warranty to help themselves or a future owner.

I get different answers from various Tesla personnel about the ability for the second owner of a Model X to be able to purchase the extended warranty when and if it becomes available.