Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla legal claims MCU is a wearable part, like tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you actually think they would have recalled if it wasn’t for the NHTSA? NHTSA basically told them that they had two options.

1) recall the vehicles
2) find out how big the fine is

Unlikely. They made a strong argument that their recent software update (why do you think they pushed 2020.48.X to alllll of the MCU1 cars as fast as possible?) fixed any safety concerns by having it enter a limp mode that permanently kept the camera up on the screen and preserved blinker noises if the flash becomes unusable. I think they had a fair argument and would have prevailed, at additional reputation cost. They chose the path of least resistance and offered what's probably a $50 part cost and 0 incremental labor cost (just more lines at service centers) and get to claim some good will.

They were a fledgling auto company. Proactively replacing every MCU1 (before they were able to source and qualify a retrofit kit) a few years ago could have bankrupted the company. I don't fault them in the least for allowing some early owners to deal with the known and unknown risks of buying a car with cutting edge technology, some of which ended up wearing out faster than they would have liked. Now, I'm gonna excuse myself and go read the batterygate thread while I cut myself to relax...

Question, do you think in 2015, when you bought your car, Tesla realized the EMMC issue we would have.
I don't know whether or not Tesla realized that or not, but they should have, had they done proper engineering. I know people who worked on infotainments for other car manufacturers and they made full analysis of the EMMC expected lifespan for a similar infotainment system, and took the appropriate precautions, such as actively refreshing emmc (no erase so doesn't count as write) and by design limiting the number of writes to the part throughout the lifespan of the car. Their designs have been out there in cars, easily outlasting Tesla MCU. Even if Tesla hired barely competent engineers, the simple reading of the datasheet would have shown them how many program-erase (a.k.a. write) cycles the part is expected to last through. So, either they knew and chose to not disclose, or have completely incompetent designers who don't bother reading datasheets (or ignore what they read). Take your pick, either choice places the responsibility for failed MCU's on Tesla.

I guess my point is that full disclosure is pretty tough on newer technologies and pushing the envelope as Tesla has been doing.
Tesla didn't push the envelope with the infotainment system, other than making a single point of failure for safety critical parts. Tablets and infotainment systems were not a new thing in 2012. Sure, they did decide to go for the the largest infotainment screen, but in the process they chose non-automotive grade display which has plagued Tesla ever since (leaking or yellowing displays, even after implementing the mitigation of overhear/overfreeze protection where the car would turn on AC when the cabin got too hot for the non-automotive grade electronics, even when parked with nobody inside).

I purchased in 2015 and you bet I was still worried about the problems we would discover (I had considered purchase since 2013).
Nobody should have bought a Tesla in 2015 thinking that Tesla had all the long term issues figured out. That would be silly.
I too expected the 2015 to still be an early adopter car, but I also expected matching service quality to fix all the shortcomings (like if the screen was to yellow for example) - as Tesla did for while. It surprised me a bit that by 2017 and then 2018 they still didn't have it figured out - as both 2017 and 2018 required even more service immediately upon delivery. Ironically, the Tesla which required the least service for me was the 2013 Model S. Every Tesla after that required more service attention, starting on or within a week of the delivery day.

Bottom line, if you sell an early adopter car, you should provide early adopter service, which Tesla did, until they scaled their production of early adopter cars (which all Teslas still are from what I read and hear) beyond the level they can sustain matching service for.

Last edited:
Question, do you think in 2015, when you bought your car, Tesla realized the EMMC issue we would have.
I will reiterate, the expected lifetime of the eMMC chip was available in 2015 (and in 2012) for Tesla to read. "New technology" is not a defense for incompetent design, or worse, intentional malfeasance. eMMC life was not a bleeding edge concept in 2012.

I think one of the excuses given is that the software grew in complexity and all the software updates pushed the chip harder than expected. (A fair excuse - I am not sure).

One of the area's where Tesla did push the envelope is on updating software. No other auto manufacturer updated by 3G or Wi-fi at the time. I still think there maybe only one or two that do today. So to say that infotainment was not pushing the envelope isn't entirely fair. The initial design wasn't earth shattering but updating on the fly was.

I totally agree that Tesla did not use automotive grade electronics. But what that a bad decision? My car is 6 years old and I have no issues at all with "grade" of products. My eMMC chip is getting old and my main processor is too slow for modern software. Sounds like replacement is in order. Much better to pay $1500 because the lifespan is limited by technology rather than "grade". Sure, Tesla could do automotive grade and it would cost more. It wouldn't last longer for the most part since tech is moving too fast and computing power/memory size become limiting before failure typically does.

I understand the eMMC issue has nothing to do with "grade" of course. They knew it had limited cycles but I suspect they calculated a lifespan and felt it wouldn't be an early failure point.

Listen - Tesla messed up. I agree with you on that. You are bitter - and I get it. But I guess I feel like your bitterness is not always helpful. Have you thought of just moving on?

Just to counter your experience. My 2015 has a clear screen and very limited service visits. Our 2019 M3 has never seen the service center. Anecdotes of course.

My 2013 Leaf - mainstream manufacturer - had a 2G modem. They wanted $400 to get to 3G - back in 2018. I bet that 2G modem was automotive grade - lot of good that did.

Does any other manufacturer have a $1500 price on main computer replacement?

Lastly, "safety critical parts"? I mean I am happy that is the NHTSA's position but are we really such bad drivers that turn signal sounds and back up camera are critical? (Yes - window fogging is an issue - in certain specific situations a serious safety issue) But it isn't like the brakes stop working....

And it isn't like a HVAC fan blower isn't a wear part. As in, any car can have the HVAC fail and cause a safety concern. I doubt that is considered "critical".

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Listen - Tesla messed up. I agree with you on that. You are bitter - and I get it. But I guess I feel like your bitterness is not always helpful. Have you thought of just moving on?
I'm happy that some people can stand by all their choices they made the last ~10 years and are faultless. Obviously, even when trying hard, this is not the case for all employees and management of Tesla. /s

I think one of the excuses given is that the software grew in complexity and all the software updates pushed the chip harder than expected. (A fair excuse - I am not sure).
Uhmm... the emmc got worn out not because of the updates. Think about it, these things are rated in thousands of erase-program cycles. They could have updated the car every day for almost 2 decades (each update only updates half the chip) before reaching the rated cycles. Tesla did a horrible system design job by not considering the amount of logging their choice of software (Linux) has enabled by default. A number of hackers have told Tesla, the logging is unnecessary and just wears out a chip. So even when informed about their bad design choices (or lack thereof) they still didn't do anything about it, until MCU's started failing in large quantities. The secondary reason, which added to the emmc wear, was when Tesla added Autopilot and decided to do "fleet learning", i.e. collecting data (on the emmc storage) and uploading it to the mothership - this is why post 2014 MCU1 failed sooner than the earlier, non-AP cars. All signs point to a complete lack of design decisions - nobody looked / measured/ verified at how much data was being written, because nobody cared. "It worked on my desk, it worked for Elon on his commute this morning, it's done".

I totally agree that Tesla did not use automotive grade electronics. But what that a bad decision?
Absolutely, and not just hardware. Non-automotive grade software is just as bad. Tesla being clueless about the fact that you should budget things like emmc writes likely was caused by the fact that they were using a PC or tablet style operating system, where nobody cares about wearing out storage because they are expected to have 2-4 year useful lifespan. Btw, no other car manufacturer uses Linux for any driving functions - you will not be able to safety certify it (see ISO26262)

I understand the eMMC issue has nothing to do with "grade" of course. They knew it had limited cycles but I suspect they calculated a lifespan and felt it wouldn't be an early failure point.
Calculated based on what data? It doesn't sound like they measured anything, or those calculation would have told them it would be an early failure. Perhaps someone asked "hey guys, do you think 3,000 writes is enough" and someone else answering "who cares, we'll be rich and retired by then".

Would Tesla move on if I just stopped paying for the car, or I messed up and paid them for a new Plaid S with a check that bounced (perhaps I could claim the check was capable of the full amount, but limited by my account balance, just like my P85D was capable of 691hp, but limited by the battery)? I'll tell you what, if they give me a full refund on my car, I'll move on. Let's see they will. ;)

Just to counter your experience. My 2015 has a clear screen and very limited service visits. Our 2019 M3 has never seen the service center. Anecdotes of course.
So like I've always been saying, Tesla is like a Hyundai of the 90's. I believe the Munro guy compared them to Kia of the 90's instead, but the same logic applies - when you buy one, you might lucky and get one which lasts without issues, or one which spends more time in the shop than on the road, or anything in between. Consumer reports in the 90's used to track your best chance of getting good Hyundai, depending on the day of the week it was manufactures, Tesla fans have similar metrics, but based on Elon's moods and end of quarter pushes. ;)

My 2013 Leaf - mainstream manufacturer - had a 2G modem. They wanted $400 to get to 3G - back in 2018. I bet that 2G modem was automotive grade - lot of good that did.
Tesla modem upgrade (3G to LTE) ran me $500+tx ($550) in 2016, so the leaf was cheaper.

Does any other manufacturer have a $1500 price on main computer replacement?
The other guys don't have a "main computer", a.k.a. a single point of failure.

Lastly, "safety critical parts"? I mean I am happy that is the NHTSA's position but are we really such bad drivers that turn signal sounds and back up camera are critical? (Yes - window fogging is an issue - in certain specific situations a serious safety issue) But it isn't like the brakes stop working....

And it isn't like a HVAC fan blower isn't a wear part. As in, any car can have the HVAC fail and cause a safety concern. I doubt that is considered "critical".
The infotainment system controls more than that, depending on which week (yes, Tesla used to vary their design in production weekly). Some cars the blinkers don't work at all, not just sounds. Headlights and rear lights are controlled via MCU. Backup camera is now considered safety critical (which can be especially bad if dying MCU is freezing up and displaying the rear image with a delay). By the way, HVAC failure would be considered safety critical. If some model car out there is having massive HVAC failures within 8 year lifespan, and the HVAC part was not listed as required maintenance part, it would also be a recall. Remember, recall is when a lot of the cars of a particular vintage suffer the same issue earlier than expected.

Safety critical in automotive is not just RUD events, to borrow from Space X terminology.;)

Last edited: