Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla lists FSD computer now as part of FSD "after delivery" package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Interesting that Tesla now lists the FSD (AP3) computer as part of the FSD package if you get it after delivery. Is this confirmation that Tesla is getting ready to do the AP3 upgrades that we've been waiting for? Seems so.

64825309_10214492019674154_5491752683125604352_n.jpg

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: CarlK and P85_DA
methinks you are reading too much into this. At its simplest, it's just a away to eliminate the thousands of questions and comments ('besides Elon's tweets, were is it written that I will receive the HW3'?).

This just makes HW3xx clear (and adds it to a 'written' purchase agreement). This has nothing to do with timing.

(It also covers any HW2 computers still in production for which FSD is purchased.)

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
methinks you are reading too much into this. At its simplest, it's just a away to eliminate the thousands of questions and comments ('besides Elon's tweets, were is it written that I will receive the HW3'?).

This just makes HW3xx clear (and adds it to a 'written' purchase agreement).

But it does seem not all cars are getting FSD computer at this time.

This change in the Design Studio seems to go some way towards ”legitimizing” that move.

It might also encourage some people to pay for FSD order-time... :)

This just makes HW3xx clear (and adds it to a 'written' purchase agreement).

Yeah but isn't that what you guys wanted???? I seem to remember folks making a big stink on this forum about the AP3 upgrade saying that "until Tesla puts the promise in writing, I won't believe it". Well, now they have!

Reactions: EinSV
Yeah but isn't that what you guys wanted???? I seem to remember folks making a big stink on this forum about the AP3 upgrade saying that "until Tesla puts the promise in writing, I won't believe it". Well, now they have!

But that’s the thing... this applies to new orders.

FSD computer was already supposed to be built in into all new cars.

This move promises nothing for old owners and makes things worse for new buyers.

(Not that I doubt FSD computer upgrades for AP2/2.5 FSD buyers, I don’t — except their timeline and barring company failure of course.)

Reactions: Kant.Ing
But that’s the thing... this applies to new orders.

FSD computer was already supposed to be built in into all new cars.

Interestingly, the fact that the page only lists the FSD computer for "after delivery" would seem to suggest that Tesla is not adding the FSD computer as a standard feature in all new cars but rather, is selectively only adding it to cars that purchase the FSD option either before or after delivery.

Reactions: J1mbo
Interestingly, the fact that the page only lists the FSD computer for "after delivery" would seem to suggest that Tesla is not adding the FSD computer as a standard feature in all new cars but rather, is selectively only adding it to cars that purchase the FSD option either before or after delivery.

Yes, I think I said that above. :) Or at least it gives them the option to do so, which they have done (ship Model 3s with HW2.5 after April). Not sure the Design Studio was always up to date on this so they may have done it without telling the buyer...

Someone on Reddit reported that their brandnew Model 3 built 6/2019 has a HW2.5 computer built 8/2018. Seems like they have a stockpile of HW2.5 computers left and are using them in new cars. There could be several reasons why they are not using HW3 for all new cars as Elon claimed back in April (cost savings, China tariffs, supply shortage, bugs in the first revision of HW3).

According to the autonomy day, AP3 is cheaper for Tesla to build/buy than AP2.5 was. The current trade war might possibly have changed that, but it seems unlikely - you'd think both chips would be fabbed in areas affected similarly.

Tesla may have some stockpiles of AP2.5 chips to use up, but I don't think they'll be buying more AP2.5 computers to install in cars going forward.

It seems to go down as one more example of Tesla being non-transparent and underhanded when it comes to pushing new sales and cost-cuts... if I were a new Model 3 customer with HW2.5 built after the supposed ”cut-off” date I would not be happy about that for the sales that happened after April but before this Design Studio change... even now you could easily make a mistake because Tesla claimed all cars would have HW3 and has not posted a retraction...

This company continues on its old moral trajectory...

If you don't get FSD, is there any added benefits having HW3.0?

Well the biggest benefit is getting FSD without a who-knows-how-long retrofit delay.

Also it is not that long ago when Tesla claimed HW2.5 was like ”2.1” and not much different compared to AP2... and then Sentry Mode and Dash Cam happened and left AP2 behind... who knows what FSD Computer will enable compared to HW2.5...

• Love
Reactions: MIT_S60 and croman
If you don't get FSD, is there any added benefits having HW3.0?

Folks who have experience with both are saying their brand new cars with AP3 are smoother and react to cars further ahead.

We have nothing concrete - this could be simple placebo/confirmation effect, or the fact that the computer is so much more capable might mean that it is running more frames or higher resolution even though it's still running "the same" NNs.

Reactions: croman
Folks who have experience with both are saying their brand new cars with AP3 are smoother and react to cars further ahead.

We have nothing concrete - this could be simple placebo/confirmation effect, or the fact that the computer is so much more capable might mean that it is running more frames or higher resolution even though it's still running "the same" NNs.

It is certainly possible FSD Computer can/will/does run better NNs even on basic Autopilot and for safety features than HW2.5.

In fact, over time I’d say it is likely.

And who knows what other things FSD Computer might enable. HW2.5 brought Dash Cam and Sentry Mode recording not available on HW2.