Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla lists FSD computer now as part of FSD "after delivery" package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that Tesla now lists the FSD (AP3) computer as part of the FSD package if you get it after delivery. Is this confirmation that Tesla is getting ready to do the AP3 upgrades that we've been waiting for? Seems so.

64825309_10214492019674154_5491752683125604352_n.jpg

I think it just signals to buyers that the FSD computer is not 'standard equipment' on non-FSD cars and buyers should not expect it. Essentially, it clariefies (dispels) what Elon said back in April.

Reactions: thewishmaster
It's a good sign that the FSD computer finally explicitly mentioned in the FSD package bought after initial purchase, but the wording update is probably intended just to align it more closely with the "includes FSD computer" text on the order page to probably reduce questions about it.

Seems like all the cases of HW2.5 being installed after April seem to be SR+ cars, not sure what that means though

Interesting that Tesla now lists the FSD (AP3) computer as part of the FSD package if you get it after delivery. Is this confirmation that Tesla is getting ready to do the AP3 upgrades that we've been waiting for? Seems so.

I think that is the wrong interpretation.

"After delivery" refers to the price (which used to be more if bought after delivery). It doesn't refer to the items listed below the statement.

Ofcourse, listing FSD computer could make people buy FSD when they order - which may be a reason they listed it. I'm fairly sure, they will not upgrade cars o HW3 unless FSD is bought/ordered when they start upgrading.

@boonedocks Yes but what has changed is that previously Tesla had signalled that all cars made after a date in April wouild have HW3/FSD Computer installed, not just FSD cars. Now it seems only FSD cars get that guarantee and indeed many cars have shipped with HW 2.5 after April.

True....but as stated they probably have low maintenance issues with HW2.0/2.5 and a hefty supply left and as stated earlier it does make sense to put the remnants in to cars that are being ordered as base included AP only.

Not sure what the true take rate will be and how long it’ll take before any significant number of those owners will pay >$6,000 on a depreciated car that may only be worth 3-4 times that much once any meaningful FSD options would warrant an upgrade. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: hcdavis3
Interestingly, the fact that the page only lists the FSD computer for "after delivery" would seem to suggest that Tesla is not adding the FSD computer as a standard feature in all new cars but rather, is selectively only adding it to cars that purchase the FSD option either before or after delivery.

Methinks that you are still misreading. The line for after delivery is the after delivery purchase price. Otherwise, it's what you get if you buy today. For example, if you select the FSD today, you get NVA, AutoSteer and AutoLane Change today.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
Methinks that you are still misreading. The line for after delivery is the after delivery purchase price. Otherwise, it's what you get if you buy today. For example, if you select the FSD today, you get NVA, AutoSteer and AutoLane Change today.

FSD computer is listed with the features that you get NOW if you buy FSD after delivery. So if you get FSD after delivery for $6000, you get NOA, ALC, Auto Park, Summon AND FSD computer.

FSD computer is listed with the features that you get NOW if you buy FSD after delivery. So if you get FSD after delivery for $6000, you get NOA, ALC, Auto Park, Summon AND FSD computer.

I don’t think it means what you think it means.

I think the main thing this wording purports, regarding the FSD computer, is by selecting $6,000 option now you get it from factory (FSD computer included).

If added later, you may not get FSD computer from factory. The retrofit timeline is IMO realistically left completely open, Tesla probably does not mean you’ll get a retrofit right now — unless you happen to get FSD computer from factory by chance of course.

Reactions: boonedocks
I don’t think it means what you think it means.

I think the main thing this wording purports, regarding the FSD computer, is by selecting $6,000 option now you get it from factory (FSD computer included).

If added later, you may not get FSD computer from factory. The retrofit timeline is IMO realistically left completely open, Tesla probably does not mean you’ll get a retrofit right now — unless you happen to get FSD computer from factory by chance of course.

Sure. My point is that you do get the FSD computer upgrade if you pick "after delivery". And the FSD computer is not standard on all cars in production. The website now makes it clear that the FSD computer upgrade is part of the "after delivery" package. But the website does not say that you get the FSD computer immediately when you buy FSD. Presumably, you'll get the FSD computer upgrade at some point in the future like the rest of us.

Sure. My point is that you do get the FSD computer upgrade if you pick "after delivery". And the FSD computer is not standard on all cars in production. The website now makes it clear that the FSD computer upgrade is part of the "after delivery" package. But the website does not say that you get the FSD computer immediately when you buy FSD. Presumably, you'll get the FSD computer upgrade at some point in the future like the rest of us.

Well I guess you could read it that way but I read it so that FSD computer is included from the factory if you select FSD option (the mention of the afterwards price being thus more related to the checkbox above than on the list below).

Well I guess you could read it that way but I read it so that FSD computer is included from the factory if you select FSD option (the mention of the afterwards price being thus more related to the checkbox above than on the list below).

Yes, if you select FSD pre-delivery, the FSD computer is included from the factory. But what do you think happens if you don't pick FSD before delivery but instead wait and buy FSD after delivery?

But what do you think happens if you don't pick FSD before delivery but instead wait and buy FSD after delivery?

You risk getting HW2.5 instead of FSD computer from the factory... or you may get lucky and get FSD computer from factory, we don’t know how Tesla is deciding this... but the risk is there.

If you didn’t get FSD computer from factory and purchase FSD later, I expect you to go to the same queue as the rest of us for FSD retrofits.

Reactions: PhaseWhite
You risk getting HW2.5 instead of FSD computer from the factory... or you may get lucky and get FSD computer from factory, we don’t know how Tesla is deciding this... but the risk is there.

If you didn’t get FSD computer from factory and purchase FSD later, I expect you to go to the same queue as the rest of us for FSD retrofits.

Yes, we are on the same page. That's exactly what I am saying, just in different words. :)

• Helpful
Reactions: electronblue
Less power consumption, higher processing rate, better video encoding for dashcam / sentry
According to the autonomy day presentation the FSD computer actually uses about 25% more power than the HW2.5 computer. They didn't specifically mention the MCU board, but presumably it will continue to use the current Intel SoC, so general purpose processing other than neural nets (which is what the new Tesla ASIC accelerates) will probably not be faster. That said, it is absolutely possible that they will eventually deploy better neural nets for non-FSD functions such as lane keeping or Emergency Lane Departure Assistance on HW3, so some of those functions could potentially benefit even if you don't have FSD.

The dashcam video encoding is a bit puzzling to me; the Nvidia solution in HW2.5 is perfectly capable of doing H.265 encodes, but it's unclear how this is actually implemented (could potentially also be done by the Intel CPU on the MCU board).

If you don't get FSD, is there any added benefits having HW3.0?

There is a lot of potential for it, but it's dependent on what Tesla decides to do in terms of SW.

They could simply gimp people who have HW3.0 without FSD so their experiences roughly matches that of HW2.5. Or they could allow for more advanced Neural Nets and algorithms to run on HW 3.0 even without FSD.

My predictions is the whole dancing cars thing will largely disappear with HW3 within a few SW cycles.

Sure that might be a silly example, but it's a very visually noticeable one.

Reactions: electronblue
@S4WRXTTCS Yeah, while I appreciate pointing out the theoretical possibility Tesla will gimp HW3 non-FSD cars, in reality I doubt it. They’ll want to increase the reliability of their computer vision for the standard safety features (IC visuals included) and HW3 should allow them to make progress on that front as far as computing power is needed.

That they are fitting HW2.5 in new cars is a different topic of course. That is probably driven by money which supercedes the above point. :) But if the HW3 is there, making use of it is in Tesla’s interest even in non-FSD cars. Of course they will limit Autopilot/FSD features but not actual NNs.