Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Loaner Tires are AWESOME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
E14D3758-9B6B-4BAC-AD04-FA018CF1077A.jpeg

So...what's the story on that neat color and pattern?

The story is, people were stealing loaner wheels so tesla had to make them undesirable enough for people to not want to keep them.

(told to me by a service center employee when I came to get wheels for my second flat, with a loaner on, and asked the question why it had stickers on it).

Makes sense if anyone thinks about it for a couple of seconds.

Reactions: Avid and Msjulie
I guess Tesla has never heard of powder coating. Even with those paint marks those wheels can be stolen, powder coated for about $200 and sold for $1500

You sign an agreement saying you will bring the wheel back, so they know you have it. If you stop to think for a second, they know there is no way to prevent determined theft. What they are trying to do is prevent someone from "forgetting", or prevent the crime of opportunity. The average tesla driver is not going to like having that disfigured wheel, so will bring it back.

Kind of like leaving your garage door open, with packages there, and having someone walk by, see the packages, and make a quick wrong decision to take one and keep walking. That same person is likely not going to break into your house if the doors are closed / locked.

The average tesla driver is not going to take a loaner wheel to go get it powder coated. They have signed they will bring it back after all, and will be charged for it, eventually. You are supposed to deal with the wheel in just a few days.. like 3. If it looks perfect, many people will deal with it "later" and say "oh sorry I was too busy".

Remember, tesla didnt start off taking this action, they started doing it in response to the situation they were in... people taking too long to bring wheels back.

Back to the OPs post, its funny to me how, on this forum, people will make an issue out of almost anything, even if the reasoning is apparent.

You sign an agreement saying you will bring the wheel back, so they know you have it. If you stop to think for a second, they know there is no way to prevent determined theft. What they are trying to do is prevent someone from "forgetting", or prevent the crime of opportunity. The average tesla driver is not going to like having that disfigured wheel, so will bring it back.

Kind of like leaving your garage door open, with packages there, and having someone walk by, see the packages, and make a quick wrong decision to take one and keep walking. That same person is likely not going to break into your house if the doors are closed / locked.

The average tesla driver is not going to take a loaner wheel to go get it powder coated. They have signed they will bring it back after all, and will be charged for it, eventually. You are supposed to deal with the wheel in just a few days.. like 3. If it looks perfect, many people will deal with it "later" and say "oh sorry I was too busy".

Remember, tesla didnt start off taking this action, they started doing it in response to the situation they were in... people taking too long to bring wheels back.

Back to the OPs post, its funny to me how, on this forum, people will make an issue out of almost anything, even if the reasoning is apparent.

I don’t think they are worried about Tesla owners stealing these. A Tesla owner would have to be the lowest of the lowest to take a set of wheels to swap out. Again, if someone wants these wheels Tesla owner or not, they will take them with the markings.

I had a loaner too but only the inner part of the spoke was painted red not the whole wheel