TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Loaner Tires are AWESOME

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by BobAbooey, Jan 23, 2020.

1. BobAbooey

BobAbooey Member

E14D3758-9B6B-4BAC-AD04-FA018CF1077A.jpeg

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

• Funny x 11
    • Like x 1
  3. Avid

Avid Member

So...what's the story on that neat color and pattern?

4. CrayZ1

CrayZ1 Banned

Don't laugh. Next month those are a $2000 option.

• Funny x 2
  5. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Another BMW convert

The story is, people were stealing loaner wheels so tesla had to make them undesirable enough for people to not want to keep them.

(told to me by a service center employee when I came to get wheels for my second flat, with a loaner on, and asked the question why it had stickers on it).

Makes sense if anyone thinks about it for a couple of seconds.

• Like x 2
  6. spesler

spesler Member

I prefer blue. 05DCAB34-EBCA-4DEF-A94D-3EE9B10920CA.jpeg

• Funny x 1
  7. spesler

spesler Member

On a side note, shout out to Decatur, GA service center for letting me take my wheel back and borrow the loaner wheel for a few extra days so I could go to a local tire shop and replace all four tires.

• Like x 2
  8. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

That’s an embarrassment...

• Funny x 1
  9. T3SLAROD

T3SLAROD Member

I guess Tesla has never heard of powder coating. Even with those paint marks those wheels can be stolen, powder coated for about $200 and sold for $1500

10. spesler

spesler Member

Theft aside, I think of it as a nearly free way of motivating the owner (me) to get their ass back to the service center in a timely manner. A quick turnaround means a smaller loaner inventory.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  11. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

That would go better with my blue car I guess.......

12. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Active Member

Do they offer a choice of colors?

13. CrayZ1

CrayZ1 Banned

Perhaps it's only so they never accidentally get a shop tire confused with a customer tire.

• Like x 3
  14. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

Good. I’m glad they do this. Discourages people from being asshats. The wheel loaner program is a nice thing - but people tend to suck and ruin nice things.

• Like x 6
  15. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

You’d think they have a better way to identify? I mean the whole car is connected to the mothership by way of internet..

16. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Another BMW convert

You sign an agreement saying you will bring the wheel back, so they know you have it. If you stop to think for a second, they know there is no way to prevent determined theft. What they are trying to do is prevent someone from "forgetting", or prevent the crime of opportunity. The average tesla driver is not going to like having that disfigured wheel, so will bring it back.

Kind of like leaving your garage door open, with packages there, and having someone walk by, see the packages, and make a quick wrong decision to take one and keep walking. That same person is likely not going to break into your house if the doors are closed / locked.

The average tesla driver is not going to take a loaner wheel to go get it powder coated. They have signed they will bring it back after all, and will be charged for it, eventually. You are supposed to deal with the wheel in just a few days.. like 3. If it looks perfect, many people will deal with it "later" and say "oh sorry I was too busy".

Remember, tesla didnt start off taking this action, they started doing it in response to the situation they were in... people taking too long to bring wheels back.

Back to the OPs post, its funny to me how, on this forum, people will make an issue out of almost anything, even if the reasoning is apparent.

17. tashtibet

tashtibet Member

that shows how low & stupid people can be.

18. T3SLAROD

T3SLAROD Member

I don’t think they are worried about Tesla owners stealing these. A Tesla owner would have to be the lowest of the lowest to take a set of wheels to swap out. Again, if someone wants these wheels Tesla owner or not, they will take them with the markings.

I had a loaner too but only the inner part of the spoke was painted red not the whole wheel

19. Fresnel

Fresnel Member

I don't get how people can get away with stealing them.. it's not like Tesla doesn't know who they gave them out to right?

20. NOLADriver

NOLADriver Member

Guess it could be so a lower life form didnt get a loaner tire for one rim and then swap its position on the car for another one that was bent and return it to the shop. Then they get their tire fixed and swap out a bent rim for a new one.

• Like x 1