Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Loaner Tires are AWESOME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
actually, since in most cases you are on the road, they come with a wheel and tire (19s, regardless of what you have on your car if its a model 3). They put the wheel and tire on your car, and either:

1. Take your wheel and tire to the local service center, if you want them to, or
2. give you your wheel and tire (put in your trunk / in your car, wherever you tell them to put it) and send you on your way.

As I mentioned they have you sign an agreement that you have a loaner wheel / tire. You have a few days to deal with it. If you kept your wheel, then you deal with it, then take theirs back to a local service center. If you let the tow driver take your wheel to the local service center, you go there, they put a new tire on it, put it on your car, and take theirs back.

Is this type of roadside service free?

They changed their policy and really ruined my day. I was told by a very rude supervisor that Tesla no longer gives loaner wheels out unless Tesla will be doing the tire service. And Tesla currently charges $97 to patch a flat.

I am super pissed because I bought a 3rd party road hazard, at Tesla's advice. And when I get new tires soon, I'll be doing the same. But now, if I get a flat after-hours or in a remote location, I no longer have the option to use a loaner tire unless I agree up front to pay at least $100 to Tesla to repair, or $350+ to replace, a tire that is covered for free repair/replacement with a 3rd party.

It's not "free" roadside assistance if it costs $100 each time. I found this out as I was trapped in an airport garage, after hours. Freaking mess...

That’s another form of anxiety as a Tesla owner. Everyone thinks about range anxiety, but the bigger anxiety is Tesla changing the game on you as an owner. How long until OTA updates are no longer free?? Could happen. Anything can happen with this company, and since they have such control over software, parts supply, and service, combined with a horrible reputation for putting the customer second, it’s a healthy to consider that anxiety when buying a Tesla.

I already bought a spare and kit, and now that purchase feels more like me buying freedom from Tesla.