Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Looking for Good Drivers to Test Full Self-Driving System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

If you want to be a beta tester of Tesla’s Full Self-Driving system, you’re going to need to be a good driver.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted that owners will soon be able to request access via a button in the car. This will give Tesla permission to evaluate owners’ driving for seven days before they’re included in the beta testing group.

Musk also tweeted that that Version 10.1 of the FSD Beta is estimated to arrive on September 24th. The beta request button will be included in the update.

The V10 update was well-received, with some reviewers showing their cars navigating through areas that it was previously unable to complete without driver intervention. Musk has said the next version will be another noticeable step in performance for the system. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Battouttahe77
"Acceleration variance" is.
According to Tesla's safety score beta support page, acceleration variance is not listed as one of the five factors for determining score. Hard braking is listed, which means "high" negative acceleration.

... I think Musk wants to be fair and demand that the dev team make the rating as fair as possible.
I wonder how fairness is determined? In my mind Musk wants to minimize chance of accidents. Is that fair?
Is it fair that people with lower margin of safety, like race car drivers, get penalized more, even though one could argue they are less likely to be in an accident? Is it fair that someone that drives like a granny gets a higher score, even though they are more likely to be in an accident? Is there anyway to prevent that unfairness?

One way to increase fairness is to actually look at accidents in the past 8 years and perhaps traffic tickets.

• Love
Reactions: Ramphex
Sure - they are reusing it because its available already. I expect them to evolve the criteria rapidly as they get a lot more data - and that improvement will feed into insurance.

It is interesting that the current formula is based on 6 B miles. They indicated below it may change but wow on the current number of miles.

JZsmHY2.jpg

Reactions: Terminator857
Have they been collecting this data (anonymized) from the fleet all this time ? But when we agree to share the data - its is no longer anonymized ? Only that would explain that 6B number ...
Certainly. I think this was all hashed way back when. 2017 article blow. Also on the accept data sharing term page.

Jun 26, 2017

zMcfBSC.jpg

Last edited:
Well - not just video data for CNN, but also driving stats like they are doing now with this safety rating. I guess we'll have to read through all those things we signed when buying the car ....
Data sharing page in the car.

lgjHbZJ.jpg

...Tesla's reserving the option to deny people the beta based on an undisclosed criteria (...) The justification for this is that the software is "beta".

My problem with that is, that as far as I know, no Tesla software labeled "Beta" has _ever_ come out of Beta. My automatic windshield wipers are still "beta" even though the feature was released many years ago.

Yes, and if you abuse the windshield wipers you may get kicked out of the Windshield Wiper Beta.

Seriously though, hey here's a new toaster with Bread-Insert function beta, darkness control beta. I'm with you, it's silly to leave stuff in beta with an implied shrug "it might screw up.... Beta"

• Funny
Reactions: KArnold
I don’t know….i was on the freeway when I was going over 50. I didn’t think I was ever close enough to anyone to be remotely dangerous but I guess I’m thinking in terms of car lengths, not seconds

Tesla is recommending the common 3 second rule. 13 Billion results in my search below. Just count when the car ahead of you passes something on the side of the road.

Aside: from a quick search with Ohio info. Not sure if my state is the exact same but likely. Following Too Close | Columbus Traffic Lawyer

1bkUFz1.jpg

I wonder why Tesla doesn't have 3 second option for following distance.
My manual indicates it is time based. Slower speed you travel the less distance you are from the car ahead. Faster you go the more distance you are from the car ahead.

Adjust the Following Distance
To adjust the following distance you want to maintain between Model X and a vehicle traveling ahead of you, rotate the cruise control lever to choose a setting from 1 (the closest following distance) to 7 (the longest following distance).

Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model X, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you.

That’s exactly what I would have said before I took my most recent road trip about 3 weeks ago. Only time I had landed in AP jail was when I had truly become distracted enough to miss the multiple prompts. But as of last trip, when I got put in jail, after resetting and getting out I made a conscious and active effort to not get thrown in again! Almost immediately after the blue blinking reminder I would apply torque. The weird thing is, my notification from the blue warning seemed to decrease, and despite literally my best efforts to “jump on” the alert — I still was placed in jail twice more over the course of a 4 hour drive. It really felt like something had changed in the notification system - been doing this for almost 3 years. Anyone feel the same, or have knowledge of an update changing anything?
I have tons of AP experience and used to never get the nag. Ever. In recent months, though, I’m being nagged way more than ever before and seemingly without justification. Plus, NoA seems way less effective and more chaotic with its lane changing.

I just activated the “it’s okay to spy on me for a week because I would love to experience the feature I paid thousands of dollars for three and a half years and 42,000 miles ago“ setting. I hope that I’m not denied the beta due to these unjustified nags I’ve been seeing lately.

I have tons of AP experience and used to never get the nag. Ever. In recent months, though, I’m being nagged way more than ever before and seemingly without justification. Plus, NoA seems way less effective and more chaotic with its lane changing.

I just activated the “it’s okay to spy on me for a week because I would love to experience the feature I paid thousands of dollars for three and a half years and 42,000 miles ago“ setting. I hope that I’m not denied the beta due to these unjustified nags I’ve been seeing lately.
It doesn't appear you read the page being referenced? It explains the criteria for each of them, shows the values, gives the formula, etc.

UIZMZzd.jpg

It doesn't appear you read the page being referenced? It explains the criteria for each of them, shows the values, gives the formula, etc.

UIZMZzd.jpg
I recognize that the nags themselves are not the issue. Implicit in my comment about there being more nags than before is a concern that I’ll overlook a nag and be locked out.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Data sharing page in the car.

lgjHbZJ.jpg
This doesn't cover driving behavior.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I'd like to see some statistical proof that their criteria for "good driving behavior" is relevant. I find playing the Tesla minigame of watching the road and watching for the apply torque to the steering wheel message to be super frustrating. - And _yes_ I am holding the wheel. -- Maybe the current FSD is dramatically better than whatever I've got in my car, but the version that I have makes mistakes often. Which is why I prioritize maintaining awareness of whats going on around the car; I think that's more important for safety than playing the minigame. Apparently Tesla disagrees(?).
I agree. I drove the evening and the app mention hard braking and it was doing all the driving. Not sure if the car I'd driving why you would get values like this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210925-212306_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210925-212306_Tesla.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 65