Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla M3 Voice command to open Radio will not work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve looked for the answer in this forum and can’t find it.

Often, I have Spotify playing by default and wish to change to Radio whilst driving. I’d rather use voice than reach across the screen and change the source.
I’ve tried “open radio, play radio, change source to radio, play, change to or open [radio station name]” and nothing will work.
I’ve had it say opening radio sometimes, but nothing happens.

Any advice as to what I’m doing wrong please?

What I found that works fairly well for me, albeit from a different music source than the FM radio, is saying "Media USB". About 90% of the time the command is recognized and playback begins. When it doesn't work, the audio system still appears to not know which source to select, or does select the USB drive but playback doesn't commence until I manually tap on the song list and select something.

TL;DR: Try "Media Radio" or "Media FM".

There was a 3 month period where voice commands could tune a specific station (e.g., “play one oh five point nine”) but, when that suddenly stopped working, Tesla claimed it had never been implemented and was something on the distant horizon. Guess I had a bug or a test version.

Since then, I’ve discovered the following voice commands work every time (except when there are connectivity issues since they haven’t yet made the processing an onboard function - pretty unsafe for a screen-centric vehicle to not have offline voice commands):

“Radio” - changes source to radio (don’t know about vehicles with AM & FM).

“Source to Bluetooth” - changes source to BT (not sure why that one needs extra words).

“On TuneIn” - changes source to TuneIn but there’s no voice command to select a channel so it’ll load last accessed.

“Play [y] (station/music)” - changes source to LiveOne music platform and plays either a specific song (or artist, if you’ve already heard that song recently) or, with one of the parenthetical words, a specific station or music by (or similar to) that artist. An example of the latter is that “play Paul Simon” or “play Paul Simon station/radio” didn’t work but “play Paul Simon music” brought up the curated Paul Simon “Radio” station with 60% Simon and 30% similar artists.

I haven’t found the perfect command for playing my USB media but I don’t use it often. Similarly, I don’t use Spotify or other streaming services so haven’t tested commands for those.

On side observation not related to voice commands: if you use the left scroll wheel to back up or skip ahead during Bluetooth listening, a random number of pushes in quick succession will cause the system to switch to radio and start moving through the frequencies (used to be favorites but they broke that). Strangely, the Bluetooth media will keep playing rather than pause when the source changes.

I tried “Radio” and numerous other options as I had time to play. None worked. The nearest I get is the car saying it’s opening radio but never does and Spotify keeps playing.

Hmmm. Since I don’t use Spotify, I’ve never had the opportunity to test commands while on that source. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that Tesla suppresses some commands depending on active sources. I wonder if “radio” can be used within Spotify to specify a particular Spotify channel.

Have you tested that command while on a different source (e.g., Bluetooth or TuneIn) and gotten different results?