Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla makes electricians see $$

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did most of my installation myself. I ran 85 feet of 6/3 cable through my unfinished basement, dug a 1 foot deep ditch in the backyard, assembled the PVC pipe onto the cable, built the stand that the 14-50 outlet is on, etc. All my electrician had to do was attach the wires at the breaker end and at the receptacle, and I probably could have done that myself if I really tried. He was already at the house for another job, so it might have cost me $80 for the time he spent on it. And about $300 for cable and breaker and receptacle and other items.

Reactions: skiwhe
$300 seems like too little, and it couldn't possibly include any parts or inspections.

If you want to know what is the minimum they can charge you, it is $600 for 1/2 day, $1,200 for a full day. Plus parts and permits. They really don't care how many hours it is, only how many 1/2 day blocks you are taking up out of their time. They are probably busy, so can decline the work, gamble for a better price. You can negotiate with them, and tell them your price.

It doesn't really matter if it is a 2 hour job, as you have to pay them for the 2 hours they spent doing nothing because they finished early.

If you are not busy, you can keep looking around or learn how to do it yourself. Eventually get you get tired and accept something.

There is no "absolute minimum" they have to charge. Additionally, there are no permits required for this where I live. I had 2 floodlights (wires ran and installed) for less than $200 two years ago. I have the skill-set to do this and I know how much the parts would cost me (<$100), I just didn't want to spend the time and effort if I could have it done at a reasonable price. And while I'm not excited about adding the circuit breaker to the box, it's not rocket surgery and I can do it. If someone would just do an honest job and charge me parts at $100-200 and labor at $200-300, I'd have them do it. But I'm not paying $5K or even $1,200 (first estimate w/o the charger) for this job. The reference to my family member, was to give an idea as to what the job would normally costs if the electricians weren't adding a "Tesla Tax" or racking up the bill because it's a nicer neighborhood.

There is no "absolute minimum" they have to charge. Additionally, there are no permits required for this where I live. I had 2 floodlights (wires ran and installed) for less than $200 two years ago. I have the skill-set to do this and I know how much the parts would cost me (<$100), I just didn't want to spend the time and effort if I could have it done at a reasonable price. And while I'm not excited about adding the circuit breaker to the box, it's not rocket surgery and I can do it. If someone would just do an honest job and charge me parts at $100-200 and labor at $200-300, I'd have them do it. But I'm not paying $5K or even $1,200 (first estimate w/o the charger) for this job. The reference to my family member, was to give an idea as to what the job would normally costs if the electricians weren't adding a "Tesla Tax" or racking up the bill because it's a nicer neighborhood.

Your lowest estimate was $1,489.25. The Tesla charger is $500 so that makes $989. Do you have $200 discount on chargers?

Maybe if you count properly you can find another $300 worth of parts and an extra 2 hours labor? Then the "tax" isn't so much on that bid.

Paid about $700 for an electrician run the NEMA 14-50 40' ft to my detached garage. The labor was not the wiring, it was the trench digging and pipe bending. I dug the trench (7"), he ran the wire and bent the pipe. There is no way i could have done it myself.

I called around and got some outrageous quotes. If you rely on the Tesla website, they know that you'll pay. One quote was $2300 and i dig the trench. One guy claimed he could run the wire through the existing conduit (impossible).

It's a bit tricky b/c if you are not an electrician, you don't know what to look for.

This has gotten emotional guys. Just as a Diamond ring usually costs more at Tiffanys, a Tesla approved electrican is going to cost more than a Craigs list guy. Same thing with hiring a large business (with all their overhead. They will be more expensive than hiring your buddy down the street. Tesla guy will have obvious experience and have jumped through the Tesla hoops. He will communicate with Tesla prior to installation, pull necessary permits, do a site and load survey and get a go ahead with his plans. Will be there for the final community inspection. Tesla will keep these notes on file and follow up to make sure the guy does a good job. They will get the latest information and hopefully will do a good & safe job.

Some want their home charging systems as cheap as possible. Skip getting inspections or doing the job to local code. Pick up the cheapest Home Depo 14-50 socket and give it a go. Others want to only hire Tesla approved or use a big company that advertises a lot. Most go in-between, hiring a licensed and professional electician, getting properly sized wiring and hope the guy tightens the wires to proper torque.

Our cars take a large amount of current, for a much longer length of time, and for over many years than any other typical home appliance. It only makes sense to hire someone that will do the job correctly, especially if you do not know what you are doing or have any experience.

Everyone wants a great deal, but you need to be willing to spend what is necessary to get a safe installation.

If you have a fire claim, and used an unlicensed installer, did not pull your permits or use undersized wire, it may give your insurance company just the excuse they need to deny your claim.

Find someone who knows what they are doing, has some experience, has proper licensed, pulls the required permits, shows up when expected and cleans up after being done.

Don't forget to get a receipt, mentioning it is for an EV. There are 30% Federal tax credits and in my area my local utility will rebate up to $500 in home charging expenses.

Your lowest estimate was $1,489.25. The Tesla charger is $500 so that makes $989. Do you have $200 discount on chargers?

Maybe if you count properly you can find another $300 worth of parts and an extra 2 hours labor? Then the "tax" isn't so much on that bid.

Not sure what set you off - you seem sensitive. Was it you that gave me that quote? :)

Maybe this will help. I mis-quoted the price, you’re numbers are right.

The bottom line is this is a 20’ run and I’m just having him install a NEMA 14-50. The parts are cheap and the labor is max 3 hours (really it could be done in less than 2). Average costs for an electrician is $50-$100 per hour. 75 ft of 6/2 AWG is $100 at Home Depot (I don’t even need all that), the wall box is less than $5 and the 50a two pole circuit breaker is $10. Even if I was charged double the retail price for the box and breaker this would come out to a max of $530 - and that’s max rate for an electrician @ 3 hours.

Not sure what set you off - you seem sensitive. Was it you that gave me that quote? :)

Maybe this will help. I mis-quoted the price, you’re numbers are right.

The bottom line is this is a 20’ run and I’m just having him install a NEMA 14-50. The parts are cheap and the labor is max 3 hours (really it could be done in less than 2). Average costs for an electrician is $50-$100 per hour. 75 ft of 6/2 AWG is $100 at Home Depot (I don’t even need all that), the wall box is less than $5 and the 50a two pole circuit breaker is $10. Even if I was charged double the retail price for the box and breaker this would come out to a max of $530 - and that’s max rate for an electrician @ 3 hours.

excellent, now, add gasoline to get the work van there, insurance and registration on the van, social security and payroll tax for the employees, marketing expense, liability insurance, rent on the office, utilities at the office, etc...

Then we are close to figuring out what the cost should be.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin

I'm correcting your math. If you are wrong about the wall connector which is your main purchase then you are probably wrong about other things as well. Add them all together and you may get to that extra $400 you think is stolen from you.

Its an outdoor outlet, so that requires a GFCI breaker which costs not $10, but $104.

You say that you need 6/2 wire - who told you that? Your outlet requires at least 6/3 wire. That's $140 for 50' and not $100 for 75'.

Does it need conduit or PVC?

So you see my point: you are discounting yourself on every item and it adds up.

I'm correcting your math. If you are wrong about the wall connector which is your main purchase then you are probably wrong about other things as well. Add them all together and you may get to that extra $400 you think is stolen from you.

Its an outdoor outlet, so that requires a GFCI breaker which costs not $10, but $104.

You say that you need 6/2 wire - who told you that? Your outlet requires at least 6/3 wire. That's $140 for 50' and not $100 for 75'.

Does it need conduit or PVC?

So you see my point: you are discounting yourself on every item and it adds up.

You have many of your facts wrong. It’s not an outdoor outlet for one; however this isn’t worth discussing with you, unless you’re going to chip in and pay part of it. It was a friendly discussion you’ve turned into an argument. Bottom line is you don’t know what you’re talking about.

excellent, now, add gasoline to get the work van there, insurance and registration on the van, social security and payroll tax for the employees, marketing expense, liability insurance, rent on the office, utilities at the office, etc...

Then we are close to figuring out what the cost should be.

Sounds like you overpaid for yours and are trying it justify it with my estimate.

I think that within all the arguments - your answers are here. There is a "Tesla Tax" and Tesla's website seems to refer mostly people who charge you a big surcharge to have an installation done. This is true no matter where the install is. You're going to pay. So IMO, it's best to get a good electrician elsewhere and deal with whatever you can negotiate. You seem to know a lot, and that can mean potentially getting a really good estimate.

Most people think Tesla's are really expensive - in excess of $100,000. Not that they look at prices, but they go by reputation and the fact that Teslas are "different" - even more different than Porsches. I would bet that most people out there would NOT know that a Model 3 can run you less than $40K plus tax. So many people have inherent prejudices. They think you have a $100K car. Do you want to park it around the block while you get an estimate? I guess that would help.

It probably matters a lot what your house seems to be worth. If you live in an upscale house, prepare to pay more than if you live in a modest house. I get this all the time and it's annoying. I have had contractors in all trades try to sell me everything for enormous premiums. When I lived in more modest homes, life was a lot easier with getting work done. That's life.

The gauge of the wire and the length matters a bit, but labor is the premium no one can predict. It's not about what type of install you have planned as much as about how much a mercenary person thinks they can take you for. Not all electricians are mercenary, however. They are usually good, hard working people. But you've got to find them.

Bottom line from this thread is that you can be quoted $500 or $5000 - and it is very independent as to what you specifically want done.

• Helpful
Reactions: skiwhe
I paid $900 for my nema 14-50. i got the electrons from the tesla website. I believe that was the tesla tax included but since I got a rebate for it, total cost was 400. It wasn’t too bad in hindsight. This is with a 40amp breaker. I charge at 32amps.
That was my impression with installation, mine will also charge at 32 amps, so a 40 amp breaker should be fine. What gauge wire did they run?

Individuals doing the quotes will gouge you if YOU seem like you will be a PITA, that way either they don't hear from you again or it is worthwhile if they do.
This is spot on. Although it doesn't have to be the person being a PITA, just the job.

A few decades ago, I was in charge of estimating carpet cleaning jobs for commercial businesses. I once had to go to a "massage parlor" to give an estimate. Before you question it, yes, it was THAT kind of massage parlor. Rumor had it that some of the local cops liked the place. The women that worked there were quite pleasant (while being nasty at the same time) and the place really needed cleaned. The place was gross and I had to burn my shoes and needed a shower immediately after I left. I wanted nothing to do with the job, so I quoted them 8x what a "normal" job would cost thinking there was no way they would pay that.

I was wrong. They happily agreed to the price (which just means I should have quoted even more!) and I was then stuck trying to get someone willing to actually do the work. Fortunately, I did have a couple of colorful guys that volunteered so they would have stories to tell their grandchildren. (carpet cleaners, well, at least back then, were paid commission, so it was a lucrative job.) And wow, they had some stories to tell.