Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to read about wife getting injured... I just want to comment on "frame damage" and how I think it's less appropriate today than it was 50 years ago and so there's a much more limited issue with it. The term was derived in the days when cars were built on a frame and if the collision damaged the frame at one location it could have damaged the frame in other locations. It's much less so on unibody cars. In most cases the damage you see to unibody elements is where the damage occurred. Sheet metal bends and absorbs impact energy. Stiff "frame" built cars transfer energy and don't absorb or crush very well. It's still unlikely that "frame damage" to a unibody construction car will get repaired though. Likely it gets totaled. In Teslas the unibody is mostly rivet-bonded (at least in the crash areas I've seen in my experience). The specialized labor cost to repair that kind of damage easily goes in the tens of thousands. However, it is a valid repair if your "frame" gets repaired and you shouldn't have to worry about some overall, bent unibody that will cause future problems or that it's not as strong as before. Key body elements can be easily measured to determine a unibody is within correct position. Too strong or too stiff of a repair is also a problem as load travels through the stiffest member but if the repair is done per spec that won't be a problem.

And as others have written, carfax will screw you anyway if there's a repair so that has to be considered.

Yes, I realize that, but in layman’s speak, it got the point across to him. No matter what it LOOKED like after the body shop worked on it, it’s unlikely to come out within factory specs and tolerances as though it was a brand new, fresh unibody... bending, stretching, etc...all have effects. So it’s not going to perform in a future accident the way the manufacturer meant it to. No way to find out until it fails to perform, and at that point it’s too late.

Yes, I realize that, but in layman’s speak, it got the point across to him. No matter what it LOOKED like after the body shop worked on it, it’s unlikely to come out within factory specs and tolerances as though it was a brand new, fresh unibody... bending, stretching, etc...all have effects. So it’s not going to perform in a future accident the way the manufacturer meant it to. No way to find out until it fails to perform, and at that point it’s too late.

Just FYI, there's no bending or stretching allowed if a body shop is performing a repair per manufacturers guidelines. Any repair per manuf specs is a repair that is renewed, within spec, and it will perform in strength and stiffness as if it were new. For example, in a front end collision on a tesla if the front end rail gets bent it can be replaced at it's connection root location where there's no damage with rivet bonding processes. Tesla sells replacement unibody parts just for that purpose. Same goes for spot weld bonded splices.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I think your pics are a good study of what totals a car and what doesn't. Pretty much everything that got bent in your pics is remove/replace. It looks like it was all radiator support, radiator a/c condenser + bunch of other small brackets. If anything at the root of all these supports got dislocated, like at the firewall, it would be totaled.

Are you in the auto body repair industry? Your posts in this thread, and the other one about salvage teslas suggest you have extensive knowledge of that industry and a level of comfort with repaired cars that most simply dont have.

Are you in the auto body repair industry? Your posts in this thread, and the other one about salvage teslas suggest you have extensive knowledge of that industry and a level of comfort with repaired cars that most simply dont have.

Oh, absolutely, I don't expect everyone to know what I know just like I don't know other's expertise. I'm not in the body repair industry but rather an auto repair hobbyist. My profession is in mechanical engineering and I work in manufacturing and repair environments so I'm pretty comfortable with this kind of stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Oh, absolutely, I don't expect everyone to know what I know just like I don't know other's expertise. I'm not in the body repair industry but rather an auto repair hobbyist. My profession is in mechanical engineering and I work in manufacturing and repair environments so I'm pretty comfortable with this kind of stuff.

Aha! an engineer! It all makes sense now...... :D

Anyway, kidding aside (that was a joke above), on the topic of "repaired vehicles" when they look like @dmurphy 's, most "regular" people would not want to continue to own a car if it looked like that, repaired "to factory spec's" or no. I am not saying "omg they arent safe". I am saying "if people buying a used car that was repaired saw "before" pictures and they looked like that, the average person would pass, if they could afford to".

So, "whats frame damage, what isnt frame damage, whats structurally sound, whats fine when repaired" doesnt really matter to most people, unless they have a comfort level with it that you have.. and most dont have that level of comfort.

Many times though, the decision is made for the owner for them. Its either repaired or replaced, and finances dictate they need to keep it or not. Not everyone can afford to just dump (sell) the car for a loss, so they are stuck with it and have to hope that the shop repairing it "did it right".

Reactions: valaeyron
Updates: Finally received a supplemental estimate from the repair shop. Total to repair with parts and labor is around $31,500. It's definitely going to be a total loss. However, insurance hasn't gotten back to me regarding the settlement amount yet.

I also got a hold of the police report and found out the other party has no business operating a motor vehicle. She has NO insurance, admitted to having a suspended license, driving 40mph in a 30mph zone, and claims that she just bought the vehicle recently. SMDH.

Updates: Finally received a supplemental estimate from the repair shop. Total to repair with parts and labor is around $31,500. It's definitely going to be a total loss. However, insurance hasn't gotten back to me regarding the settlement amount yet.

I also got a hold of the police report and found out the other party has no business operating a motor vehicle. She has NO insurance, admitted to having a suspended license, driving 40mph in a 30mph zone, and claims that she just bought the vehicle recently. SMDH.

In NJ we're required to carry uninsured motorist insurance exactly for this situation, is that the case in CA?

I’d do a dislike except it’s be a ding in YOU and not her... RIDICULOUS.

Reactions: imola.zhp

I’d do a dislike except it’s be a ding in YOU and not her... RIDICULOUS.

Agreed.

Wow, how did she buy a vehicle without showing proof of valid license and proof of insurance? I wonder if you could go after the dealership that sold her the car. I'm assuming it isn't a new car so you might not get anywhere but wow. I sure hope you have uninsured motorist coverage.

In NJ we're required to carry uninsured motorist insurance exactly for this situation, is that the case in CA?

Not required here, but uninsured motorists are so common here that you’re really tossing the dice on not getting it. I have both uninsured and underinsured protection.

Agreed.

Wow, how did she buy a vehicle without showing proof of valid license and proof of insurance? I wonder if you could go after the dealership that sold her the car. I'm assuming it isn't a new car so you might not get anywhere but wow. I sure hope you have uninsured motorist coverage.

Apparently, there are outfits here that will sell you a used car that includes a free policy for a couple of weeks of insurance. This makes the sale legal then the person just doesn’t bother to get a real policy and let’s it run out. Unfortunately, know that from my GF’s experience a few years ago.

You can also just get a policy, and cancel it in a month probably if you’re not working with a shady dealership.

Here, we also don’t believe in impounding the cars of those who drive without licenses and insurance as apparently that’s an undue hardship on those folks so the burden gets passed to the people who follow the law as extra coverage and higher premiums.

My mom’s car was hit by someone who was driving a company’s vehicle who had no license and insurance many years ago. The business quickly took responsibility and paid all costs directly.

Not required here, but uninsured motorists are so common here that you’re really tossing the dice on not getting it. I have both uninsured and underinsured protection.

Apparently, there are outfits here that will sell you a used car that includes a free policy for a couple of weeks of insurance. This makes the sale legal then the person just doesn’t bother to get a real policy and let’s it run out. Unfortunately, know that from my GF’s experience a few years ago.

You can also just get a policy, and cancel it in a month probably if you’re not working with a shady dealership.

Here, we also don’t believe in impounding the cars of those who drive without licenses and insurance as apparently that’s an undue hardship on those folks so the burden gets passed to the people who follow the law as extra coverage and higher premiums.

My mom’s car was hit by someone who was driving a company’s vehicle who had no license and insurance many years ago. The business quickly took responsibility and paid all costs directly.

Glad to hear you are covered, it still sucks that your insurance is burdened with this loss. At least no one was hurt, that is hopefully the bright side of all of this. Are you planning to order another Tesla?

Glad to hear you are covered, it still sucks that your insurance is burdened with this loss. At least no one was hurt, that is hopefully the bright side of all of this. Are you planning to order another Tesla?

I’m not the OP, but was just answering your question. Fortunately, sold my car 2 weeks ago in an accident-free state. My first Tesla *should* be here by the end of the month.

OP is from California. The State requires all insurance companies to offer uninsured/under-insured coverage but it isn’t mandatory and can be declined. All drivers do have to maintain a minimum coverage limit of “15/30/5” of vehicle liability insurance for medical costs, lost wages, car repair bills, pain and suffering and other losses and you are personally responsible for those losses above your limits.

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/personal-injury/damages/lost-wages/

It's just a shitty situation considering none of it was actually my fault. Eventhough my insurance policy covers all the cost of the accident I will be upping my coverage limits next policy renewal. You just never know what can happen and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Yes, I'm planning to purchase another Tesla in the near future. I was thinking about pirchasing a Model Y maybe around summer of 2021. At the moment, I hear there are still issues with the model Y which is understandable since it's the newest model. Hopefully they'll be able to figure out all that out by the time I place my order.

It's just a shitty situation considering none of it was actually my fault. Eventhough my insurance policy covers all the cost of the accident I will be upping my coverage limits next policy renewal. You just never know what can happen and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Yes, I'm planning to purchase another Tesla in the near future. I was thinking about pirchasing a Model Y maybe around summer of 2021. At the moment, I hear there are still issues with the model Y which is understandable since it's the newest model. Hopefully they'll be able to figure out all that out by the time I place my order.

I'm actually here for TMY content, we tried to take delivery on 08/01 of VIN 25225 in Nashville, TN. The car looked like a toddler assembled it, sure body lines can be adjusted but at the time everyone was being told they were "in spec." The deal breaker was the paint, the frunk had no less than 5 fish eyes on it, one quarter panel had a dent, the other had a deep sweeping semi-circular scratch and one of the inner taillights was busted, like it seriously had a hole in it. Those last 3 issues may have happened in transit but we were blown away, first Tesla experience.

We are set to VIN match again on (or after) 01/01/2021. The VIN tracking sheet shows cars are being delivered in the 90k's now so 100k's should start happening shortly after the new year. Be sure to research yourself but it seems like cars do not have near as many issues as they did before. I may push us out a bit further, we live in Memphis, TN and the service center is telling people a local store is opening Q1 2021. Would be nice to take delivery locally.

Best of luck with whichever Tesla you end up with.

I'm actually here for TMY content, we tried to take delivery on 08/01 of VIN 25225 in Nashville, TN. The car looked like a toddler assembled it, sure body lines can be adjusted but at the time everyone was being told they were "in spec." The deal breaker was the paint, the frunk had no less than 5 fish eyes on it, one quarter panel had a dent, the other had a deep sweeping semi-circular scratch and one of the inner taillights was busted, like it seriously had a hole in it. Those last 3 issues may have happened in transit but we were blown away, first Tesla experience.

We are set to VIN match again on (or after) 01/01/2021. The VIN tracking sheet shows cars are being delivered in the 90k's now so 100k's should start happening shortly after the new year. Be sure to research yourself but it seems like cars do not have near as many issues as they did before. I may push us out a bit further, we live in Memphis, TN and the service center is telling people a local store is opening Q1 2021. Would be nice to take delivery locally.

Best of luck with whichever Tesla you end up with.

Don't worry about the panel gaps too much unless its create a safety issues. Unfortunately Tesla haven't perfected that

It definitely sucks to see the other driver is uninsured, it's too bad that a good 13% of drivers in California or so aren't insured, making it pretty much necessary to have uninsured/under insured motorist. But it shouldn't raise your rates because you are not at fault, California prevents them from doing that.

Reactions: Sensae