Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla model 3 with accident not taking any charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

HASS

Mar 9, 2023
W3 6TE
I bought tesla model 3 with accident near the charging port .. battery was 0% and the 12v battery was drained .. I tried to charge it with mobile charger, but it wont charge .. the charging port looks fine and no damage what so ever, but the car doesn't charge .. any idea why? is this related to pyro-fuse?

You should be able to charge the 12V battery out of the car and then the car should boot up? I think the Service menu will show details about the system, and hopefully it would show why it doesn'T charge.

If you tried to just plug the car in with no 12V juice, I would think nothing works.

Reactions: DocHolliday
And there's a number of question here:
  1. Does this car have a salvage title? Or is it a regular title? If it's the latter, you could take this to Tesla and let them get it up and running. If it's the former, you're in trouble. Not the end of the world if you've got serious repair background but, if you don't, it's going to get interesting.
  2. Directly behind that charge port is a computer that talks to either a Wall Connector, a J1772 controller, or a Supercharger. If the car got hit there and that's all that's wrong, my bet is that the computer/a cable/a connector is busted. This hypothesis would have prevented the original owner from charging the car; eventually, the big battery will discharge all the way, followed by the 12V battery, and, well, that could be where you are. Do you have any information on how the car got into this state?
  3. And, speaking of that. Was this a legitimate sale? Stolen Teslas are few and far between, but it happens. Usually where somebody sticks one into a shipping container and sends it overseas, possibly for parts. Do you have a working Tesla account with the VIN for this car in there? Or... are there issues?
  4. One of the things that can happen to a Tesla (I know, it happened to SO and me.) is that a short can develop in the high voltage wiring or some such. When that occurs, there's this pyro fuse that blows, disconnecting the main battery from everything else. That includes the charger for the 12V battery. Once this happens, it's only a day or three before the 12V battery runs out of charge. Naturally, the car won't charge, although there's a published method in the owner's manual to take a cap off the front bumper so 12V can be applied to, say, get the doors open. This kind of fault doesn't involve physical damage to the exterior of the car, though, unless some frustrated owner put a fist into the car. This kind of fault, if it happens before the expiry of the warranty, is typically covered under warranty. Outside of warranty, it's somewhat serious money. Not the end of the world kind of problem, but definitely a thou or two for (usually) Tesla to troubleshoot and repair the problem. Again: Any indication of what took this car down?

Definitely need to get 12V power before the mobile(or any) charger will do anything. Once the charger begins you >should< be able to disconnect the 12V extra source. Do NOT just disconnect all 12V batteries while charging is going on.

Don't be super surprised if the old 12V battery is trash now, lead acid batteries don't do well with complete discharges.

As others mentioned, without the 12v the car will not engage the high voltage contactors = the main pack will never charge.

Get a new 51R battery or see if you can top off the current one. Then try again. You will hear 2 nominal clicks as the contactors engage the high voltage battery.