Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Announcement: $35k Model 3 Available, some price changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've watched newer cars get more goodies for less $$$ since I bought my S 6 yrs ago.
New things depreciate. Products from the likes of a company innovating as fast as Tesla will depreciate even faster.
Instead of being bitter, I've enjoyed every minute of it.
Absolutely
If my purchase (along with everybody else) had not lead to improvements and price drops I would have been disappointed and considered Tesla a failure. If I had 3 wishes, one of them would be for the Model 3 to cost $19,000 tomorrow.

This is what Tesla is all about -- accelerating the transition to sustainable transport (and making damned fine cars along the way.)

And by the way, the way to hedge Tesla (the car) innovation is to buy Tesla (stock.)

My situation (not including tax, delivery or incentive)

--
2018 October Delivery
LW AWD
Metallic Gray
EAP
--

Price paid :
$60.5k

Same configuration today :
$51.5k

Difference :

$9000 !!

Incorporating tax incentive, fees and taxes :

$5k difference. Ridiculous:(

Hey,the difference here is EAP vs new AP. New AP is 2k cheaper but doesn't have NOA, Summon, AutoPark.

The difference if you take out the 2k for EAP vs New AP would be $3250 + 900 (sales tax) = $4150.
Still alot, but AWD cars really had the biggest price changes. It was 55k at one point, then lowered to 54, then lowered again to 53.

Reactions: ord3r
So like, $250? Not sure what your point is? TV's are not performance vehicles.

Regardless, my car is awesome. I was just stating as a loyal customer I'm not a fan of constant schizophrenic price changes that are quite significant. I'm sure I'll survive.

Price changes should level out once the the tax credit fully phases out and demand normalizes. It's hard to fault Tesla for capitalizing on the pent up demand, especially considering even then they are just barely profitable. If they were making money hand over fist I would probably also be miffed.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: FlyNavy01
I like all the people who say they'll never be a Tesla customer again.

I mean, you're just saying that you would rather pay another car company more money for less features/value, simply because your original car company lowered prices.

I also would have greatly changed my purchasing decisions if these changes were available when I first took delivery in December, but the fact is that I still got A) Exactly what I agreed to pay for, and B) My car is still really awesome. As far as EAP v. AP, the confirmation of us getting Advanced Summon means we're getting neat things like parking lot pick-ups (and probably parking lot drop-offs) as well as the continued evolution of everything that goes into NoAP.

Ouch. My $72,500 car is now $61,000 for the same config just 6 months later. Even after the $5k refund in December that is still painful. Oh well... it's good for the world overall I suppose.

Not much incentive to be another "Tesla early adopter" again after this experience o_O

I just did the math and it's $50 cheaper when considering the $3750 tax difference. I have a P3D+ MSM all options except white.

I don’t regret ordering my MR in December. That basic interior is UGLY. The center console is awful . I’m glad I didn’t hold out. Everyone is focusing on EAP, but the difference between basic and premium interior is big and worth the 2k difference when factoring in the increased rebate.

Seems like the only people that are safe and made it out with a good price are the employees. Don't know if Elon will keep the pricing solid when the next phase on tax credit becomes $1875.

Depending on Model (Lowest at the time)

$46,000 - Model 3 MR
$Free - EAP (With NOA,Summon,AutoPark)
$Free - FSD
$Free - Premium Interior (-$5000 Adj)
$2000 - White Paint
$1000 - White Interior
$-7500 - federal tax credit
Total Cost = $37,700
On Paper: Purchase Price with Doc Fees - 45200

Configured in Tesla's Website
$40,000 - Model 3 MR
$3000 - AP (Autosteer and ACC)
$5000 - FSD
$2000 - White Paint
$1000 - White Interior
$-3750 - federal tax credit
Total Cost = $48,450
On Paper: Purchase Price with Doc Fees - 52200

Four weeks from tomorrow marks 1 year of ownership of my Model 3. Yes, a similarly spec’d 3 right now is less than what I paid. If I knew back then what I know now in terms of pricing, features, tax credit situation, etc I would still pull the trigger and buy my Model 3 when I did. I’ve loved driving my car over the past 11 months and will continue to enjoy it for years to come. I accepted that being an early adopter (VIN is in the 7000 range) meant that price improvements would come along, although perhaps much quicker than I ever expected. Would I say no to a reduced price to upgrade from my current EAP to FSD? Absolutely not. I hope that Tesla will at least honor the FSD upgrade pricing that was listed when I purchased it although I will hold off on that purchase until I see some very impressive, capable and proven new features.

Instead of talking about how I paid so much more than those ordering now I choose to celebrate that Tesla is finally offering the promised $35,000 Model 3. The Model 3 is now within reach of many more people which means more Model 3’s on the road and less ICE vehicles which in my opinion is fantastic.