Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Announcement: $35k Model 3 Available, some price changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll include mine.
Old config: $49,000
EAP: $5000
MSM: $1000
Tax Credit: -$7500
Total: $47,500

Today: $43,000
AP: $3000
MSM: $1500
Tax Credit: -$3750
Total: $43,750

I lost $3750. And the NoA and summons is not worth $3750.

Not to mention I had to pay taxes on that $3750 and forever increased license and registration on a $55k car vs a $47,500 car.

Again you are not including the difference between EAP and AP. In reality, you lost $1750 + Sales Tax. I'm not sure how registration works in your state.

• Love
Reactions: McFlurri
Ouch. My $72,500 car is now $61,000 for the same config just 6 months later. Even after the $5k refund in December that is still painful. Oh well... it's good for the world overall I suppose.

Not much incentive to be another "Tesla early adopter" again after this experience o_O
Have you purchased a tv lately? Or any other electronics? Price drops from tech advancements are normal part of business.

When's the last time you've seen a car with the same package go down in price thousands of dollars within a year?

That actually happens all the time, it's known as "incentives", and lots of OEMs do it on the back end when they are trying to stimulate sales. Since Tesla has fixed pricing, all that's happening is you're seeing it in on the front side in this instance.

Otherwise known as "cash on the hood". Draw your own conclusions what this means for Tesla. You know lots of people will.

Last edited:
Hey guys..

Just wanted to point out that the price has actually increased for us Canucks

Was $45,600
Now $47,600

While all of our southern neighbours complain over price decreases.. we get price increases (for standard range).

boo urns.

My current LR RWD with MSM paint and enhanced autopilot (18" wheels)
Was $72,000
Now $71,000

BUT... I did save $14,000 for the Ontario rebate.. sooo.... no complaints there lol

HOW DARE TESLA DECREASE THE PRICE OF MY CAR BY $1000!!!!!!!!!!!! IN 9 MONTHS!!! GRRRRRRRR

Oh wait... I've saved about that in fuel.

nvm :)

• Funny
Reactions: EV4EVer and Hans L
That was a lot to take in, but what you are essentially saying is that there is a 10.3% sales tax hit in addition to the price difference. Let's calculate the sales tax difference. We'll get to the interest later.

It is ($56,700 - $48,700) * .103 = $824 in extra sales tax. You already understand the $2k difference between EAP and regular AP. You also understand the $3750 tax credit. So the real difference between your config and the new config is $3074. Not an insignificant amount, I agree but I would use the real number instead of an inflated number.

Now what about the interest charges? That gets tricky because of inflation and also because you can always put the difference in a CD. I can go into detail on the math if you like but the difference is probably on the order of .5% on 10K over 5 years or $250. So $3324. difference. Again not an insignificant amount, but I would try to use real numbers instead of inflated numbers here. It helps you make your point better.

Thanks for this. I think this is primarily an emotional response for me. What it really comes down to for me is what I will pay over the life of the loan plus what I paid or traded in up front (minus the $7500 tax credit). Your $3324 number may be close when taking into account the $2000 autopilot difference.

Being an early adopter and having fear of missing out (honestly did not know if they would have made the standard battery in time for the $3750 credit) made me jump in too early. Honestly the sweet spot probably would be the MR with white interior for me. I drive very little regularly (3000 miles in six months) and the mid range would have been enough for road trips.

The $134/mo difference on the loan hurts lol
And it’s actually a 6 year loan unfortunately.

So that difference is $9648 but I’m not sure if I factored everything in correctly to get to the financed amounts after trade in, sales tax, credits, etc maybe the difference is $5898?

$2k drop every month....

The purchase price for my car + PUP was $78,000 that same car is now $64,000. October Delivery, but was in service for the first month and 1/2. So got it back mid November. Still has issues from delivery....
That's a huge price drop for 4 months or even 5 months. Yes you get less on your tax credit, but it's no where close to making up that difference.
So doing the math, when can I get a free one? 20 months?

Thanks for this. I think this is primarily an emotional response for me. What it really comes down to for me is what I will pay over the life of the loan plus what I paid or traded in up front (minus the $7500 tax credit). Your $3324 number may be close when taking into account the $2000 autopilot difference.

Being an early adopter and having fear of missing out (honestly did not know if they would have made the standard battery in time for the $3750 credit) made me jump in too early. Honestly the sweet spot probably would be the MR with white interior for me. I drive very little regularly (3000 miles in six months) and the mid range would have been enough for road trips.

The $134/mo difference on the loan hurts lol
And it’s actually a 6 year loan unfortunately.

So that difference is $9648 but I’m not sure if I factored everything in correctly to get to the financed amounts after trade in, sales tax, credits, etc maybe the difference is $5898?

Yes I understand the fear of missing out. What most people are trying to say is that they would have preferred to get a cheaper version with less features rather than the more expensive version they stretched for. That is different from their current model having high depreciation. Maybe you can still sell your LR model and get a used Standard Range or Mid Range in a few months.

Yes I understand the fear of missing out. What most people are trying to say is that they would have preferred to get a cheaper version with less features rather than the more expensive version they stretched for. That is different from their current model having high depreciation. Maybe you can still sell your LR model and get a used Standard Range or Mid Range in a few months.

I will likely just keep what i have. Seems like a hassle to try to sell and get a new one honestly. I’m not happy but I love the car. I definitely stretched to get this one because Tesla couldn’t/wouldn’t tell us when they cheaper ones would be available (or even that they existed in the case of the MR).

I do think this means large and quick depreciation for those of us that bought the LR RWD last year though.