Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Announcement: $35k Model 3 Available, some price changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Volvo offers 18 miles of stated electric driving. How does this compare with the Tesla 3?
You’re looking at a different car. The Volvo I’m talking about is offering 275 miles on a charge with 0-60 times under 5 seconds. It’s purely electric. This is why I think Tesla’s new Model 3 timing & pricing is a good thing. Get buyers into a Tesla before new competition is widely available.

Volvo announces Polestar 2, an electric vehicle that aims to compete with Tesla Model 3

Last edited:
You knew there would eventually be a $35,000 Model 3, didn’t you?. The time has now come. I don’t understand the shock & awe. Surely you didn’t expect them to drop it $1,000 every year until they got to the always promised $35,000.

I’m sure part of the timing comes from the new competition that’s here or will soon be here. Volvo is already showing their release that will compete with the 3. So this was a move whose timing made sense.

The issue isn't the cheaper lower trim models, it is the reduced price of the trim levels that had been sold prior (LR, LRD, MR). Cars don't usually get cheaper for the same trim level w/o losing features.

The $35k M3 will has less features than what was previously sold, so it should be less expensive immediately.

This is going to crush resale value for early adopters as the same car can be bought for less, brand new.

For me:

9/14/18: LR AWD + PUP + Aeros + DBM + White Interior = $55,500 + $1k dest = $56,500 - $7,500 = $49,000
3/01/19: LR AWD + PUP + Aeros + DBM + White Interior = $49,500 + $1.2k dest = $50,700 - $3,750 = $46,950 (...I overpaid $2,050)

The issue isn't the cheaper lower trim models, it is the reduced price of the trim levels that had been sold prior (LR, LRD, MR). Cars don't usually get cheaper for the same trim level w/o losing features.

The $35k M3 will has less features than what was previously sold, so it should be less expensive immediately.

This is going to crush resale value for early adopters as the same car can be bought for less, brand new.

For me:

9/14/18: LR AWD + PUP + Aeros + DBM + White Interior = $55,500 + $1k dest = $56,500 - $7,500 = $49,000
3/01/19: LR AWD + PUP + Aeros + DBM + White Interior = $49,500 + $1.2k dest = $50,700 - $3,750 = $46,950 (...I overpaid $2,050)

Don’t forget the differences in sales tax and interest charges if you have a loan. It’s orobably closer to a $3000 difference. My difference is $3500. It’s lame.

For me:

It's called competition and it's heating up in this market. You compete or you go out of business. Keep in mind too that Volvo and others will be getting the full $7,500 tax credit, something that Tesla has already lost.

It's called competition and it's heating up in this market. You compete or you go out of business. Keep in mind too that Volvo and others will be getting the full $7,500 tax credit, something that Tesla has already lost.
What competition? No one else makes an RWD or AWD EV. Tesla’s only competition is luxury ICE and they are the same price.

What competition? No one else makes an RWD or AWD EV. Tesla’s only competition is luxury ICE and they are the same price.
I already told you about the upcoming Volvo that’s meant to directly compete with the 3 from both a range and acceleration standpoint. It will have an AWD version. You can ignore it if you choose (I think that would be foolish), but I strongly suspect Tesla is taking it seriously.

You want to get prospective EV buyers into a Model 3 before the Polestar arrives, not after. From a smart business practices standpoint, that only makes sense.

Since you seem to be unfamiliar with this car, here are just a couple of links.

Polestar 2 Electric Vehicle – Volvo's New EV Is Coming Soon

Volvo unveils Tesla Model 3 rival Polestar 2

I already told you about the upcoming Volvo that’s meant to directly compete with the 3 from both a range and acceleration standpoint. It will have an AWD version. You can ignore it if you choose (I think that would be foolish), but I strongly suspect Tesla is taking it seriously.

You want to get prospective EV buyers into a Model 3 before the Polestar arrives, not after. From a smart business practices standpoint, that only makes sense.

Polestar 2 Electric Vehicle – Volvo's New EV Is Coming Soon

Volvo unveils Tesla Model 3 rival Polestar 2

That car is not rea competition. The only people that will buy that car are Volvo enthusiasts. Others looking to buy their first EV would lean Tesla I would think, especially at these prices now. Tesla does need to improve QC and service though. That could be enough to lose potential buyers if they hear about the bad experiences people are having.

That car is not rea competition. The only people that will buy that car are Volvo enthusiasts. Others looking to buy their first EV would lean Tesla I would think, especially at these prices now. Tesla does need to improve QC and service though. That could be enough to lose potential buyers if they hear about the bad experiences people are having.
I hear ya, and I feel the same way as you if I were buying today, but I'm not so sure about people outside of our 'fan club'. The Volvo has some very attractive specs and with all the negative news about Tesla these days, many prospective buyers might feel more comfortable with the Volvo name. I'm telling you, many of my friends ask me if I'm worried about Tesla going under. So I bet that feeling stretches across a large swath of prospective buyers. That issue can't be dismissed for many when making a significant investment. The media always seems to love to paint Tesla in a negative light.

I hear ya, and I feel the same way as you if I were buying today, but I'm not so sure about people outside of our 'fan club'. The Volvo has some very attractive specs and with all the negative news about Tesla these days, many prospective buyers might feel more comfortable with the Volvo name. I'm telling you, many of my friends ask me if I'm worried about Tesla going under. So I bet that feeling stretches across a large swath of prospective buyers. That issue can't be dismissed for many when making a significant investment. The media always seems to love to paint Tesla in a negative light.

That’s true. If Tesla goes under, we are screwed. No other (competitive) car company has that to worry about. That Volvo is ugly though. The XC40, 60, and 90 are all homeruns.

I've been aware of Polestar since it was merely a tuning shop for the S60-R. However, the P2 will not be available until 2020 (at the earliest), so repricing the M3 today is premature.

Polestar/Volvo/Lynk & Co. are basically the same platform, but with badge engineering...but none of them are planning high volume production.

The other manufacturers (Hyundai, Kia, Chevy, Jag, Audi, Porsche, MB, etc) are making FWD appliance vehicles or AWD at much higher price points, also at significantly lower production volume. I think I-Pace is around 20k cars/year. Magna can build them much faster than that.