Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Fully Autonomous ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just so everyone understands, Elon has laid this issue to rest. Even fully autonomous Tesla vehicles will be operable manually, because in his view people should be free to manually drive their vehicle if they want. That means that all of the edge cases and the arguing over whether or not an autonomous vehicle can handle them are, realistically, moot.

• Love
Reactions: jkk_
Just so everyone understands, Elon has laid this issue to rest. Even fully autonomous Tesla vehicles will be operable manually, because in his view people should be free to manually drive their vehicle if they want. That means that all of the edge cases and the arguing over whether or not an autonomous vehicle can handle them are, realistically, moot.

that's what people aren't "getting" about the different levels of Autonomy.

"Fully autonomous", ie, no controls for human operation, nor expectation that a human would operate it (think, the Google bubble car), is Level 5 Autonomy.

Musk is striving for Level 4 Autonomy. That is: the controls are in place for human operation, and the expectation is that a human or the AI can drive the vehicle at any given time, or take over in an emergency as the situation dictates.

(I've paraphrased the definitions into laymen's terms, but a quick Google search will show you I'm pretty close to spot-on here.) ;)

that's what people aren't "getting" about the different levels of Autonomy.

"Fully autonomous", ie, no controls for human operation, nor expectation that a human would operate it (think, the Google bubble car), is Level 5 Autonomy.

Musk is striving for Level 4 Autonomy. That is: the controls are in place for human operation, and the expectation is that a human or the AI can drive the vehicle at any given time, or take over in an emergency as the situation dictates.

(I've paraphrased the definitions into laymen's terms, but a quick Google search will show you I'm pretty close to spot-on here.) ;)

Although some specs refer to Level 5 for a vehicle that doesn't have any controls, Level 4 autonomy means that the vehicle can drive without anybody inside, so it has to be able to handle everything a level 5 vehicle does. The NHTSA doesn't differentiate between these, because whether or not controls exist as an option, for level 4 they cannot be required to be used.

Although some specs refer to Level 5 for a vehicle that doesn't have any controls, Level 4 autonomy means that the vehicle can drive without anybody inside, so it has to be able to handle everything a level 5 vehicle does. The NHTSA doesn't differentiate between these, because whether or not controls exist as an option, for level 4 they cannot be required to be used.

correct. I don't think Tesla's version of Level 4 is the NHTSA standard, but Elon has mentioned being able to summon a Tesla from across the country. Once again, Elon molding definitions to fit his own vision. lol

This discussion has ALWAYS been moot.

Thank you kindly.
Wait im confused. Are you arguing my claim that trucks will need the steering wheel to keep their utility and usefulness or do you want the steering wheel taken out of every vehicle? Trucks and cars?

I can MAYBE see the rc control working for the trucks, but don't you think we still need the steering wheel for the on road aspect of the truck and just as importantly: feeling the ludicrous mode of our cars on the road? Take a corner at a high speed and feel the g's? Or just to enjoy driving and go where we want at a turn of the wrist? I don't think you can come up with a rc controller with the responsiveness and feed back to allow you to drive it at 60mph.