Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Fully Autonomous ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even something like an autonomous only lane on the freeway is probably 20 years away at best.

If carmaker's get their acts together and develop an car-to-car communication protocol, there will be an autonomous only lane immediately after autonomous cars are legalized. The benefits to traffic are huge, and places like LA won't be able to resist.

Thank you kindly.

If carmaker's get their acts together and develop an car-to-car communication protocol, there will be an autonomous only lane immediately after autonomous cars are legalized. The benefits to traffic are huge, and places like LA won't be able to resist.

Thank you kindly.

LA is not going to make a new autonomous only lane. LA is not going to make HOV lanes into autonomous only lanes. Less than half the population can afford a new car. The public won't tolerate much special treatment for people who buy these vehicles.

That group will be a niche - and will be like the ones who listen to vinyl using tube amps & horns. They'll be paying dearly for insurance ...
How about anyone that uses their vehicle for things other that just getting a person form a to b? How about every person who owns a sports car or a truck, even suv's? hit: its a hell of a lot

And why would they need to pay more for insurance? The computer will make it just as safe as if the car was driving itself.

Nope!

"As of December 18, 2015 the Green Clean Air Vehicle Decal limit of 85,000 has been reached. The DMV will continue to accept applications to establish a queue for requesters should an additional amount of decals be authorized."

Source: Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers
The Green sticker is something like a Volt. The Leaf gets a white sticker which has no unit limits and the expiration has been extended to 2019 from the same page.

A sports car I can see, but I can't see how anybody has ever owned a truck for the fun of driving it? Perhaps offroading for SUVs which is, what, 2% of all SUV drivers.
No I mean the utility of a truck. Pulling a trailer, backing up a trailer, launching a boat, unloading wood where you want it, basically using a truck for anything you can't do in a Prius. I said suv because it have some of the same utility aspects as the truck.

No I mean the utility of a truck. Pulling a trailer, backing up a trailer, launching a boat, unloading wood where you want it, basically using a truck for anything you can't do in a Prius. I said suv because it have some of the same utility aspects as the truck.

Why can't you do any of those things just as easily in a self driving truck? Given the number of people who accidentally float their truck trying to launch a boat, a self driving truck would probably be a good thing for that.

Why can't you do any of those things just as easily in a self driving truck? Given the number of people who accidentally float their truck trying to launch a boat, a self driving truck would probably be a good thing for that.
It's probably going to be a while before you can properly instruct your truck to drive across a field and back up close to that pile of wood so that we can easily load it. Or back up against that little hillside to make it easier to load a garden tractor into the bed. These are the type of activities where it's faster to just do it yourself than to figure out how to instruct the computer to understand what you want.

It's probably going to be a while before you can properly instruct your truck to drive across a field and back up close to that pile of wood so that we can easily load it. Or back up against that little hillside to make it easier to load a garden tractor into the bed. These are the type of activities where it's faster to just do it yourself than to figure out how to instruct the computer to understand what you want.

Stands by pile of wood. "Back up to this pile of wood." That's already fully within the range of computers to understand and much easier than trying to guide a car while inside.

Ya I can tell you are either a kid who hasn't seen some of the things you have to do in the real world(you also mentioned a video game in a talk about real life), you live in the city and have never seen anything but concrete or you or just trying to troll.

Wrong on all counts.

We have gotten very good at telling computers to do things.
1) People who have directed someone backing up with a trailer know how to help drivers to a location, which they wouldn't be able to do by themselves. Those same directions would work if given to a computer.
2) People who ever driven an RC car, know how to use simple controls to get a car to go wherever they want it to. There is no size limit where that doesn't work.
3) Most critically, the summon feature on a Tesla will find its way to you. *In the dark* if need be. The car knows exactly where it is and can figure out how to get where it needs to be.

If you know about these things at the same level as you 'know' about me, perhaps a bit of research is in order before you join the discussion.

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone alive today will see the end of the steering wheel. Although I think there may be "no self drive" zones around cities this century.

I would agree with that. I just disputed the notion that all the people who own trucks and SUVs wouldn't want self driving versions, whereas within 20 years I think self driving cars would be fine for at least 90% of them.

I would agree with that. I just disputed the notion that all the people who own trucks and SUVs wouldn't want self driving versions, whereas within 20 years I think self driving cars would be fine for at least 90% of them.
Let me say that I don't mean that they don't want self driving capability period, just to still have a stearing wheel. I have a f350 and I wold love to be able to put on auto pilot when I want to but I need to be able to control it sometimes.

Wrong on all counts.

We have gotten very good at telling computers to do things.
1) People who have directed someone backing up with a trailer know how to help drivers to a location, which they wouldn't be able to themselves. Those same directions would work if given to a computer.
2) People who ever driven an RC car, know how to use simple controls to get a car to go wherever they want it to. There is no size limit where that doesn't work.
3) Most critically, the summon feature on a Tesla will find its way to you. *In the dark* if need be. The car knows exactly where it is and can figure out how to get where it needs to be.

If you know about these things at the same level as you 'know' about me, perhaps a bit of research is in order before you join the discussion.

Thank you kindly.
So the computer is going to know where my sprinkler head in the ground? Where my septic tank is so I don't crush it? I COULD GO ON AND ON, please don't act like you can tell a computer everything.

And why go through this? So to back up in my yard I'm going to have to spend thousands of dollars and time programming by back yard into the computer when I can do it just as good, if not better myself?

The tesla still has lines and curbs to follow, not the case in the middle of a field.

An rc car? Really? Yes the inputs might be simple but your basically saying that you can program a off-road truck. I don't think so.

So we can program the unlimited different parking spots and garages and barns and any other place you can park it?

So the computer is going to know where my sprinkler head in the ground? Where my septic tank is so I don't crush it? I COULD GO ON AND ON, please don't act like you can tell a computer everything.

And why go through this? So to back up in my yard I'm going to have to spend thousands of dollars and time programming by back yard into the computer when I can do it just as good, if not better myself?

The tesla still has lines and curbs to follow, not the case in the middle of a field.

An rc car? Really? Yes the inputs might be simple but your basically saying that you can program a off-road truck. I don't think so.

So we can program the unlimited different parking spots and garages and barns and any other place you can park it?

Let me put it another way. Of course you have already learned to drive and are comfortable doing the things you need to do in a truck. I'm quite certain you will own a vehicle with the controls you are used to your whole life.

However, in 30 or 40 years somebody growing up who has no other need to learn how to drive may very well be more comfortable controlling the truck in another way. You don't have to program anything into the truck, more like standing in the yard and telling the truck where to go. They will laugh at the old grandpa guy's old fashioned truck.

Eventually the driving controls we are currently familiar with will die off of their own accord.