Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are off to sydney for a few days so that will help pass the time. Thanks for the advice, I will make sure to check the exterior paint etc, there certainly has been lots of comments and criticism on all the forums about this.
Tesla Auckland was good about fixing Panther's paint work. My rear bumper had to be totally repainted or replaced not sure what was done but looks a good job The bumper had been damaged and someone had tried to fix it. I had to stand well back to see the damage as it was low down. I didn't notice any of the paint issues until paint film was being applied to the sills. Once the paint had been repaired the replacement film was applied free of charge as part of there customer service.
It doses feel awkward to me having to inspected Tesla's paint work when you take delivery as I believe it would have all been done at pre-delivery inspection but Tesla just wanted vehicles out the door then fix later.

Tesla Auckland was good about fixing Panther's paint work. My rear bumper had to be totally repainted or replaced not sure what was done but looks a good job The bumper had been damaged and someone had tried to fix it. I had to stand well back to see the damage as it was low down. I didn't notice any of the paint issues until paint film was being applied to the sills. Once the paint had been repaired the replacement film was applied free of charge as part of there customer service.
It doses feel awkward to me having to inspected Tesla's paint work when you take delivery as I believe it would have all been done at pre-delivery inspection but Tesla just wanted vehicles out the door then fix later.

Might help others if they are facing paint issues
How long after delivery did you notice the paint defects
How soon did you contact Tesla about it
Can you list the defects and what was fixed what wasn't

It's going to be a slow 12 days for you. The only advice I can give is go over the exterior paint as well open the doors and check the frames for good paint finish.
Had a very welcome call from Tesla Auckland today bringing forward my delivery from 23rd Dec to the 11th Dec. The anticipation has been growing for a while now. Have bought quite a few accessories, the forum has been great help in seeing what people are finding useful and those items that are a waste of time.
It's not very brightly lit in the delivery area plus the excitement it's very easy to miss defects

I was at the store this week.
They said there was 3 boats coming, it was going to be a very busy December

Mine goes in to Precision Autowerks tomorrow to repaint the bonnet. Issues were noted at delivery and although it took Tesla over a month to finally just send me over to Precision they are otherwise taking care of it without question or hassle.

Issues are... It looks like the edge of a polisher during delivery prep(?) touched the rear edge of the bonnet and scraped away about 30mm of the paint back to bare metal. There is also a paint defect (round circular ‘dent like’ look) in the centre of the bonnet. Elsewhere there were 3 areas around the roof edge with about 20-25mm spots of black goop adhesive (told it was likely from the plastic during shipment). When I brought the car to Precision a few weeks ago to setup the appointment they quickly cleaned up those spots with isopropyl alcohol but it left a dull mark which they will now polish. Finally a few scratches around the edge of the boot.

It all appears to me to be prep-related (rushed at end of Sep maybe) except maybe the weird circular ‘dent’ which along with a few embedded bits of debris elsewhere on the bonnet makes me think that maybe the bonnet had been repainted already since nowhere else on the car does it look like that.

Anyway, fingers crossed that it comes out well. Precision showed me work they had just finished on another model 3 and it looked great.

Mine goes in to Precision Autowerks tomorrow to repaint the bonnet. Issues were noted at delivery and although it took Tesla over a month to finally just send me over to Precision they are otherwise taking care of it without question or hassle.

Issues are... It looks like the edge of a polisher during delivery prep(?) touched the rear edge of the bonnet and scraped away about 30mm of the paint back to bare metal. There is also a paint defect (round circular ‘dent like’ look) in the centre of the bonnet. Elsewhere there were 3 areas around the roof edge with about 20-25mm spots of black goop adhesive (told it was likely from the plastic during shipment). When I brought the car to Precision a few weeks ago to setup the appointment they quickly cleaned up those spots with isopropyl alcohol but it left a dull mark which they will now polish. Finally a few scratches around the edge of the boot.

It all appears to me to be prep-related (rushed at end of Sep maybe) except maybe the weird circular ‘dent’ which along with a few embedded bits of debris elsewhere on the bonnet makes me think that maybe the bonnet had been repainted already since nowhere else on the car does it look like that.

Anyway, fingers crossed that it comes out well. Precision showed me work they had just finished on another model 3 and it looked great.
Great to know how the process works and Tesla are looking after you
lucky you spotted the paint defects at delivery. Although from what you describe it seems like it would be hard to miss!

Must have been disappointing to have waited so long and have the car delivered like that.
I suppose Tesla could have behaved something like the usual car dealer. Delayed delivery and made repairs to the car but you'd have no idea of what was done to the car.
I guess this way is more transparent, but it relies on you to spot issues.

Did you get a loan car

Tesla have been excellent so far only issue has been the delay in getting an appointment
I think it was about a month out from requesting via the app

Homelink missing on delivery, I explained it was included when I ordered
no issue added to work list.

Tesla are fixing issues I didn't notice in delivery excitement:
Body panels out of alignment
Paint chips on rear door hinges both sides

loaner car to be provided

Now I'll be telling all the potential owners I talk to or give rides to.
how great Tesla look after you
It's surprising how many people want to know about Tesla.
On second thoughts it's not really, the cars are amazing
Hopefully service will be to.

Great to know how the process works and Tesla are looking after you
lucky you spotted the paint defects at delivery. Although from what you describe it seems like it would be hard to miss!

Must have been disappointing to have waited so long and have the car delivered like that.
I suppose Tesla could have behaved something like the usual car dealer. Delayed delivery and made repairs to the car but you'd have no idea of what was done to the car.
I guess this way is more transparent, but it relies on you to spot issues.

Did you get a loan car

Yeah, a bit disappointing but we’re not upset. Stuff happens and we absolutely love the car and have had no other issues. I feel like a kid with a new toy and it hasn’t worn off. It’s so much fun to drive I still smile every time. Tesla has been great to deal with if just a bit frustrating that it takes awhile but that’s just because of how many cars they’ve delivered in NZ in the last few months. The paint defect in the middle of the bonnet wasn’t spotted at delivery. It was pointed out to me when we brought it over to Precision to schedule fixing the other. We were hoping the bonnet wouldn’t have to be repainted and they could just touch up the one spot. But once this was found it became apparent a whole bonnet repaint was necessary. Precision called Tesla for authorisation and was given the go ahead straight away.

They would have given us a loaner but we can do without the car for the 4-5 days they said it will take so we didn’t ask.

Have you gotten an ETA on the Homelink? We’re in same situation but no word yet on when.

I still cannot believe all my paint issues were not picked up at pre-delivery. Hold the cars back until issues are repaired then deliver. At the end of the day Tesla Auckland was good at fast approval and accepting new paint issues I found later on it’s just a hassle having to drop the car off for 9 days. I did not take a loan car as the excess for an accident was thousands of dollars.

Yeah, a bit disappointing but we’re not upset. Stuff happens and we absolutely love the car and have had no other issues. I feel like a kid with a new toy and it hasn’t worn off. It’s so much fun to drive I still smile every time. Tesla has been great to deal with if just a bit frustrating that it takes awhile but that’s just because of how many cars they’ve delivered in NZ in the last few months. The paint defect in the middle of the bonnet wasn’t spotted at delivery. It was pointed out to me when we brought it over to Precision to schedule fixing the other. We were hoping the bonnet wouldn’t have to be repainted and they could just touch up the one spot. But once this was found it became apparent a whole bonnet repaint was necessary. Precision called Tesla for authorisation and was given the go ahead straight away.

They would have given us a loaner but we can do without the car for the 4-5 days they said it will take so we didn’t ask.

Have you gotten an ETA on the Homelink? We’re in same situation but no word yet on when.
Well that's a good sign there is no push back from Tesla over issues after delivery sign off

I still pinch myself to make sure it's not all just a dream haha
I still get excited when I see other Teslas .
it's pretty good going unnoticed by the majority and only noticed by a few

Homelink when I asked about it last week, no problem getting it fitted
sounded like they either had them in stock or could get them quickly
When I said it was included when I ordered the car, no problem with that either
Said they'd fit it during my service appointment which is coming up round mid December

Last edited:
I still cannot believe all my paint issues were not picked up at pre-delivery. Hold the cars back until issues are repaired then deliver. At the end of the day Tesla Auckland was good at fast approval and accepting new paint issues I found later on it’s just a hassle having to drop the car off for 9 days. I did not take a loan car as the excess for an accident was thousands of dollars.
I guess there is two ways of looking at it
You'd have no idea of what issues the old school dealership had dealt with before you'd got the car. New school you get to see, accept, reject or repair or not even notice it till some one says what the hell is that! while point to something once seen you can never forget.

I don't know what the answer is
if cars where held back buy Tesla at delivery to fix issues, I can imagine the heartache, stress, Dude where's my car and Tesla's infamous lack of communication... the perfect storm. On the other hand waiting months, finally choosing a name, decorating the garage, buying accessories, prepping for the immanent arrival.
Ushered into delivery only to be presented with Frankenstein's monster of a car, only it's mother could love.

Maybe the answer is to have Tesla inspect the car with you instead of it just being down to the expectant owner, so right from the start you feel part of a team

Maybe the answer is to have Tesla inspect the car with you instead of it just being down to the expectant owner, so right from the start you feel part of a team

I agree and maybe now they have more time to do that. It was a big push the morning we picked up our car (28 Sep). There were at least 8 being delivered at the same time with more waiting. Our delivery person was friendly, but not particularly knowledgeable, and they had trouble getting our phones activated and setup as keys. While that was getting sorted out we inspected the car and eventually another delivery person came over to document/photograph them. We ended up being the last car of that group to leave and although there was a bit of a ‘just let us know later if any issues’ we were never rushed out the door and the second delivery person was able to answer our questions and even took a few photos of us with the car. He reassured us that all would be taken care of and although its taken awhile to get scheduled it is being done without any questions or hassle.

There were a few new unregistered 3's having work done when I collected my 3 after paint repairs. Not sure about purchasing Homelink as the price is way up their and until I can summon my 3 from home I'll put Homelink on hold for 5 years at least.
interesting well that proves work is done before delivery
I'm hoping for free homelink I am sure it was there when I ordered.

Wouldnt pay for it right now
Homelink included with mine when I ordered
Tesla didn't push back when I mentioned this and were quite happy book it in for install during my up coming appointment

I think Homelink works with late model Merlin garage door openers

Observation with scheduled charge tonight
I have my car scheduled to be charged ready to leave at 7:30am week days
After work today I went to mitre10 to pick up some things
While I was there I plugged the car in to soak up some free juice, and it started charging

Came home plugged in and scheduled charging kicked in
"Charging scheduled Ready to depart at 7:30am"

looks like scheduled charging is location based

Reactions: Anubis