Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Observation with scheduled charge tonight
I have my car scheduled to be charged ready to leave at 7:30am week days
After work today I went to mitre10 to pick up some things
While I was there I plugged the car in to soak up some free juice, and it started charging

Came home plugged in and scheduled charging kicked in
"Charging scheduled Ready to depart at 7:30am"

looks like scheduled charging is location based

That Mitre 10 destination charger is pretty handy eh. Covered, free and hardly anyone using them. Cafe nearby and Mitre 10 to shop at while you charge.

At 2.7cents per k charging at home I've lost interest in free chargers. I have 2 separate power phases at home which allows my 3 to be on its own power phase with its own meter. October my 3 covered around 1200ks at a cost or $29.
Woah, did I miss how you said you are paying 2.7c/kWh? Do you have home solar? I pay 14c to Ecotricity and pay the carbon offsets but even that adds up a bit paying for the 5,000km I’ve put on my Model 3 since September!

Woah, did I miss how you said you are paying 2.7c/kWh? Do you have home solar? I pay 14c to Ecotricity and pay the carbon offsets but even that adds up a bit paying for the 5,000km I’ve put on my Model 3 since September!
/km, not /kWh, was my reading. At ~ 150 Wh/km, that would mean 2.7c/k -> 18c/kWh, which is actually on the expensive side if you're doing night rate charging.

Getting excited now, I received my invoice this afternoon
The VIN is confirmed,though no rego yet.
Build date was 29/10/19, 2020 model.
My delivery is Wed 11th, just need to sort the insurance now, Youi, so far, by far the cheapest. Waiting for others to get back to me. Our other car is with Youi so most probably will go with them.

My delivery is Wed 11th, just need to sort the insurance now, Youi, so far, by far the cheapest. Waiting for others to get back to me. Our other car is with Youi so most probably will go with them.
You'll have a lot of fun. Did you purchase full auto pilot as I've been having a load of fun with this.

Exciting!
Yeh youi is way cheaper
To the extent it's like the others don't really want the business

I decided not to buy FSD at this stage, i may regret that but for now more than happy just to get the car and autopilot.
At least you can add it later
Bit hard to add AWD and pretty much any other option later :)

Have you thought about Homelink
may only be useful if you have a comparable garage door/gate controller
Or want to fork out for modual that is
I think there are tales in in Au forum about homelink trials and tribulations

Tesla NZ seem to have homelink modules now
So I guess it's sorted for NZ

No point in home link without full auto pilot
Rear wheel drive is so much better around corners. If I need 4x4 once every 10 years I'll hire.

Agree re the FSD.

Homelink would be a nice feature, I will chat to them about it when i get the car.

You'll still get Phantom Braking which will a big shock when it happens to you. I keep my right foot close to the go peddle so I can accelerate when it tries to Phantom Brake.
I guess its a matter of learning the quirks of this car, like region braking. Also left hand stalk for turning signals, was the same on my last car but my wifes car is the other side so I regularly turn the wipers on in her car.