Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 instrument bump?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017-Tesla-Model-3-top-view.jpg

Maybe it's the steering column. It's not an armrest.

could be steering column... just definitely not an instrument cluster.
Agreed!
Why is it so hard for people to accept that what we have seen in the RCs is pretty much what the final version is going to look like. Elon has already come out once and tried to curb the ever escalating expectations and now it is happening again. It seems like people are so desperate for something they're grasping at straws.

Trying to get meaningful information from these renderings is like interpreting spilled some coffee grounds that were vaguely in the shape of a model 3, and saying you could clearly see a hatchback/solar roof/instrument cluster/HUD so Tesla is obviously lying to us (for no apparent reason) and there will certainly be one included when they reveal the final car.

View attachment 224317 View attachment 224316
As I stated in another thread this Model 3 is a 3D model used for the photos in the supercharging blog post so may bear no resemblance to the real or planned or production model 3. That said it's a decent model that someone took the time to make, possibly from a CAD file or possibly modelled from scratch - who knows. It has the body shape, doors, door handles, nose, hatch and the glass roof looks to be accurate and even tinted - different to the S's in the photos (also 3D models obviously).

So here's my observation: there's a bump on the dash, behind the steering wheel. This cold house lights or instruments. Maybe indicator or warning lights, maybe speed, or maybe it's the 3D modeller being lazy and using a dash from a model he created for Ford :). But this thing is definitely different from the Model 3 interiors we have seen before.
You are seeing the top of the steering column, not the top of an instrument binnacle. If you look just to the left of the "bump" you can see the centrally mounted screen. Using that reference point you can see that the dashboard is quite a bit further forward than the bump making it the top of the steering column.

It could absolutely be a cluster. Doesn't mean the car will actually have one. But in that rendering, it could be an instrument cluster.

As long as we are roaming through wishful thinking land...what do you folks think about the "crease line" shown in that nice silver rendering? the way it flows in one continuous line (with no angled vertical crease) from left to right dropping under the headlights looks pretty good to me and maintains some assertiveness to the front end.

As long as we are roaming through wishful thinking land...what do you folks think about the "crease line" shown in that nice silver rendering? the way it flows in one continuous line (with no angled vertical crease) from left to right dropping under the headlights looks pretty good to me and maintains some assertiveness to the front end.

Wishful thinking land?

Do you not agree that in that rendering - which has no bearing on anything - it might actually be an instrument cluster?

Because there is no way you know for sure what exactly it is, and one reasonable explanation is that it's a cluster.

If you're reading anything more into what I said than that, that's on you.