Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 performance - Test drive results

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
For those like me who had a P- on order and now switched to the P+ and maybe doubted the 20" wheels , then don't worry

I had an extensive test drive through speed humps and rough roads around Canary wharf and the P+ performance and ride was no different than my previous 2018 B9 Audi S4. There was no harsh jarring or uncomfortable roar from the tires. In fact the only slight noise was the aircon and the dual motors when I smashed the pedal. It has been great experience especially the speed of deceleration and not using the break pedal at all. if you are in any doubt drive a p+ and you will be very pleasantly surprised

I am very happy to have done it and now waiting patiently for the P+ to arrive

Did you take it on a motorway or dual carriageway to test the road noise properly?

No, why would I be going on a Motorway for a test drive plenty of those videos on YouTube. Real world driving in London has no Motorways. Dual carriage way was fine though no issues at all and as I said similar to my experience of an Audi S4

• Disagree
Reactions: RjbT3
No, why would I be going on a Motorway for a test drive plenty of those videos on YouTube. Real world driving in London has no Motorways. Dual carriage way was fine though no issues at all and as I said similar to my experience of an Audi S4

I've seen plenty of videos too, but you get no idea whatsoever of real life cabin noise from watching videos. I've seen plenty of reviews talk about excessive road noise with the 20" wheels and how much less noise there is with the 18" aeros, so I was wondering what it would be like on a long trip. Tyre noise is never going to be an issue in any car at city speeds. But it can be really irritating in an EV at motorway speeds. But nevermind, a good mate of mine test drove one yesterday too, so I'll ask him.

Reactions: RjbT3 and djgillett
I wonder who's going to be listening to tyre noise when there is Premium Sound to enjoy! Not me. :)

My thoughts exactly, I can't think of a single time I have driven a car in silence and listened to the road / outside noise. When I test drove the model X, I was more interested in the quality of the premium sound system, than the tyre noise. Remember with EVs you will hear more outside noise because there is no engine sounds masking / drowning the road noise.

I always mute my audio when I reverse and often in car parks. Never miss not having the radio if I realise I've been driving without it. Most of the time I don't even bother unmuting even though its a thumb press away.

So for me, certain noises are an annoyance, especially tyre rumble on some surfaces.

I wonder who's going to be listening to tyre noise when there is Premium Sound to enjoy! Not me. :)

Even when listening to loud rock music I find that road noise still makes a big difference to the overall sound quality. Even in my Model X with premium sound (which is probably quieter than a 3) music still sounds significantly better at low speeds. The bass end in particular gets relatively muddy at motorway speeds due to the outside noise. Although it's far worse in ICE cars with a droning engine (especially a sports car) on top of the tyre and wind noise. You can drown out exterior noise with volume, but it's still there interfering with your sound and making it slightly less premium!

Then there are those times I simply enjoy the relative silence of an EV, perhaps with a bit of mellow ambient music that would normally be drowned out in an ICE car. These things you really notice when switching to an EV, so I'm more concerned than I normally would be about tyre noise. I'm just worried that 20" wheels with o-rings for tyres could be a noisy recipe at speed for no particularly good reason.

Bjorn was certainly concerned about it (although he was on winter tyres)

Tesla Model 3 Performance Is So Noisy In 20-Inch Wheel Test: Video

Also this comparison of 18" aeros vs 19" sport (I can't see 20" being anything other than worse) shows +4 dB at only 65 mph, which is actually a very significant difference (10 dB would be perceived as twice as loud)

• Informative
Reactions: dst87
No tyre noise here yet, Tesla emailed today, my excitement lasted for a moment until I read the subject "How was your test drive experience?" o_O I've not requested or been for a test drive, was ever hopeful for a delivery date. I am now hoping it's not an indication of a mangled order.

Hi All,
For those like me who had a P- on order and now switched to the P+ and maybe doubted the 20" wheels , then don't worry

I had an extensive test drive through speed humps and rough roads around Canary wharf and the P+ performance and ride was no different than my previous 2018 B9 Audi S4. There was no harsh jarring or uncomfortable roar from the tires. In fact the only slight noise was the aircon and the dual motors when I smashed the pedal. It has been great experience especially the speed of deceleration and not using the break pedal at all. if you are in any doubt drive a p+ and you will be very pleasantly surprised

I am very happy to have done it and now waiting patiently for the P+ to arrive

Thanks for letting us know. I worry about 20" wheels not being able to handle the weight of the car on potholes. Also worry if it's too low for speed humps. Ur post eases my worries :)

Even when listening to loud rock music I find that road noise still makes a big difference to the overall sound quality. Even in my Model X with premium sound (which is probably quieter than a 3) music still sounds significantly better at low speeds. The bass end in particular gets relatively muddy at motorway speeds due to the outside noise. Although it's far worse in ICE cars with a droning engine (especially a sports car) on top of the tyre and wind noise. You can drown out exterior noise with volume, but it's still there interfering with your sound and making it slightly less premium!

Then there are those times I simply enjoy the relative silence of an EV, perhaps with a bit of mellow ambient music that would normally be drowned out in an ICE car. These things you really notice when switching to an EV, so I'm more concerned than I normally would be about tyre noise. I'm just worried that 20" wheels with o-rings for tyres could be a noisy recipe at speed for no particularly good reason.

Bjorn was certainly concerned about it (although he was on winter tyres)

Tesla Model 3 Performance Is So Noisy In 20-Inch Wheel Test: Video

Also this comparison of 18" aeros vs 19" sport (I can't see 20" being anything other than worse) shows +4 dB at only 65 mph, which is actually a very significant difference (10 dB would be perceived as twice as loud)

I'm thinking of getting a set of 18's to help counteract this. Whilst I didn't particularly find a problem when I test drove, I am attracted by the idea of better economy. There's a good group buy deal on one of the Facebook Model 3 groups at the moment, which looks good.

Checking out the tyres, then I'm thinking of going with 235/45/18 in the Michelin Crossclimate.

I'm thinking of getting a set of 18's to help counteract this. Whilst I didn't particularly find a problem when I test drove, I am attracted by the idea of better economy. There's a good group buy deal on one of the Facebook Model 3 groups at the moment, which looks good.

Checking out the tyres, then I'm thinking of going with 235/45/18 in the Michelin Crossclimate.

Which 18" wheels are you looking at?

I think a lot of these concerns re the P+ must be coming from guys who are currently driving around in slower family type cars and rightly so, you are concerned with the 20" wheels, low profile tyres and the harsher suspension. The price of the P+ is such that a lot of people would have said, hell why not - lets go for it. But make sure it is what you actually want from an everyday car.

Anyone coming from a BMW M3 or Mercedes AMG type car, will find the M3 P+ a joy to drive and will have no issues with the ride quality or outside noise. We'll just have issues with the build quality maybe!!

Reactions: RjbT3
I think a lot of these concerns re the P+ must be coming from guys who are currently driving around in slower family type cars and rightly so, you are concerned with the 20" wheels, low profile tyres and the harsher suspension. The price of the P+ is such that a lot of people would have said, hell why not - lets go for it. But make sure it is what you actually want from an everyday car.

Anyone coming from a BMW M3 or Mercedes AMG type car, will find the M3 P+ a joy to drive and will have no issues with the ride quality or outside noise. We'll just have issues with the build quality maybe!!

For me it's more the knowledge that 18" and 19" rims are a better compromise for both road or track use. Plus it's an EV, so I don't really want any unnecessary irritating tyre noise. But I agree, those coming from harsh riding BMWs on bling rims with obnoxious sport exhausts will probably be happy enough if the Tesla rims don't actually crack!