Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Performance vs BMW M3 - The Mic Drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am stating that the Model 3 looks more than cute than mean. I drive one, just wish it had more aggressive options. 20 inch wheels and red calipers help a little bit.

Even Franz agrees and he designed the thing. ;)

tesla-model-3-franz1-e1522505590557.jpg

Last edited:
Even Franz agrees and he designed the thing. ;)

View attachment 350380

Thank you. My point in a picture. Though detective @Perry ,the foremost authority on inspecting Model 3s would hate this thing due to the black wheels.

Model 3 should have included
-black wheels
-chrome delete
-matte paint

As appearance options. I know why they didn’t - production hell and all but one could wish. See the reveal matte model 3? Looks awesome.

I don't think my car looks like a girl's car. ;)

View attachment 350323

Good look @commasign but I think going chrome delete to match your wheels would be a meaner car.

Last edited:
Thank you. My point in a picture. Though detective @Perry ,the foremost authority on inspecting Model 3s would hate this thing due to the black wheels.

Model 3 should have included
-black wheels
-chrome delete
-matte paint

As appearance options. I know why they didn’t - production hell and all but one could wish. See the reveal matte model 3? Looks awesome.

Agreed. Guessing next year they'll offer black wheels, air suspension (with a nice low setting), and maybe they'll actually be shipping the spoiler.

I haven't seen too many manly cars lately, but I do see a lot of my competitors cars in my rear view mirror with guys crying in them..

Alfa Romeo Giulia, Aston Martin DB11, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE, Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport, Ferrari 488 GTB, Lexus LC500, McLaren 570GT Mercedes Benz AMG GTR, Nissan GT-R Nismo, Porsche 718 Cayman S, Porsche 911 Turbo S

I drive the X from time to time for practical purposes. Just because it doesn't look aggressive, doesn't mean I won't or can't drive it.

I am stating that the Model 3 looks more than cute than mean. I drive one, just wish it had more aggressive options. 20 inch wheels and red calipers help a little bit.

Also, being masculine doesn't mean you can't cry. There are situations when it is acceptable and not acceptable.

Watching Optimus Prime die = acceptable to cry. Though not to the point of hugging stuffed animals and coloring stuff.
Your candidate loses an election = not acceptable to cry
I don't disagree with any of that. I hope the P3D is a little more sharp in the next refresh. IMO, what we see people doing in the aftermarket with tint/chrome delete/darker wheels shows the promise the basic body shape has. Also, if we ever get our M4#%#$@%^ spoilers that will help.

No one seems to mention that your BMW will no doubt need very expensive repairs and maintenance on a regular basis once the warranty is used up. I know that some people have had manufacturing defects when their M3's were delivered, however, based on my experience with the Leaf, assuming any delivery problems are repaired there's a fairly good chance you'll never have to pay for any unscheduled repairs during the life of the car. EV's just don't break. I expect my M3 to be going strong 10 years from now. No one can say that about a BMW. I've not known one BMW owner that didn't have all kinds of expensive repairs needed after about 70,000 miles.

The drivetrain in an EV is less complex than in an ICE but the rest of the car is the same. Only a small fraction of ICE maintenance issues deal with the drivetrain as most are super reliable these days. With EVs you'll still have to deal with things like suspension bushings, shocks, window regulators, AC compressors, door handles, yaw rate sensors, etc.

If an experienced automotive manufacturer developed an EV, it would likely required less long-term maintenance. However, we're talking Tesla here where basic things on the S failed (e.g., most 12V batteries after a year, huge number of self-presenting door handles, high proportion of drive motors the first couple years, etc.) so I'm not sure it's fair to say that EVs just don't break.

However, we're talking Tesla here where basic things on the S failed (e.g., most 12V batteries after a year, huge number of self-presenting door handles, high proportion of drive motors the first couple years, etc.) so I'm not sure it's fair to say that EVs just don't break.
While I definitely agree with the overall premise of your post, I'll note that my 2014 P85 still has the original 12V battery. I haven't had the issues you're pointing out though I know they exist. I do think we probably think they're more prevalent than they are, because our exposure is biased to the complaints posted here.

My X had a lot of early shop time. But my S has been relatively flawless for 4.5 years. I haven't had it serviced in over 2 years, so I should probably take it in at some point and have them give it a looking over. It's one reason I decided to keep it instead of trading it in for a 3. If it ain't broke...

Lol. How about google “BMW i3 problems”?

I drove an i3. I got very familiar with BMW's entire lineup by driving loaner vehicles while it was being serviced for multiple issues. Here are some of the issues I had:

1. Randomly bricked and wouldn't pull out of the garage. (Tow plus 3-4 days with software update)
2. Hub failure requiring replacement. (4-5 days in shop)
3. Fuel door failure requiring replacement. (4 days in shop)
4. Random rattle requiring dismantling of entire dash and steering column. (1 week in shop)
5. Annual servicing requiring 3-4 days each time.
6. Ran over road hazard damaging battery with end result of totaling vehicle due to undercarriage damage. (I understand this isn't entirely a manufacturing defect, but it was the exclamation point on the long series of problems I had with the vehicle.)

I drove an i3. I got very familiar with BMW's entire lineup by driving loaner vehicles while it was being serviced for multiple issues. Here are some of the issues I had:

1. Randomly bricked and wouldn't pull out of the garage. (Tow plus 3-4 days with software update)
2. Hub failure requiring replacement. (4-5 days in shop)
3. Fuel door failure requiring replacement. (4 days in shop)
4. Random rattle requiring dismantling of entire dash and steering column. (1 week in shop)
5. Annual servicing requiring 3-4 days each time.
6. Ran over road hazard damaging battery with end result of totaling vehicle due to undercarriage damage. (I understand this isn't entirely a manufacturing defect, but it was the exclamation point on the long series of problems I had with the vehicle.)
This is exactly why I'll never buy a BMW. Imagine the cost off warranty!

The drivetrain in an EV is less complex than in an ICE but the rest of the car is the same. Only a small fraction of ICE maintenance issues deal with the drivetrain as most are super reliable these days. With EVs you'll still have to deal with things like suspension bushings, shocks, window regulators, AC compressors, door handles, yaw rate sensors, etc.

If an experienced automotive manufacturer developed an EV, it would likely required less long-term maintenance. However, we're talking Tesla here where basic things on the S failed (e.g., most 12V batteries after a year, huge number of self-presenting door handles, high proportion of drive motors the first couple years, etc.) so I'm not sure it's fair to say that EVs just don't break.
But nobody has more experience in EVs than Tesla.

Actually I don't think I agree that a traditional auto maker would build an EV that requires less maintenance.

Traditional automakers are somewhat beholden to the dealer networks that distribute and service their vehicles. I imagine there would be a bit of a rebellion if those dealers weren't able to bill the manufacturer for lots of warranty service as well as all of the other non-warranty paid services that you need to get with most cars.