TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model 3 vs. Chevrolet Volt

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by GSP, Jun 8, 2016.

1. GSP

GSP Member

#1 GSP, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Tesla has the only BEVs that have a DC fast charging network and are therefore capable of longer trips. The only competition are ICE and hybrid cars. The Chevy Volt is still the only hybrid capable of both full electric operation and normal gasoline range and performance.

How do the two compare? The review by "the 8-bit guy" on YouTube is a great place to start. I started a spreadsheet below.

Thoughts?

GSP

Tesla Model 3 Chevy Volt

Base MSRP: $35,000 $37499

Available: 2017-2018-2019? Depends on how early you made your $1k deposit Now!

Propulsion system: BEV PHEV - EREV

EV Range: 215+ miles 53 miles

Total Range: 215+ miles 400+ miles

Fast charging network: Yes, by far the world's best Yes, far more locations than Tesla, but IC engine is req'd

Included charging cord (EVSE): 120/240 V, up to 40 A? 120 V only, but capable of 240 V use with homemade adapter. 16 A

Interior room: Larger: 5 passengers comfortable, EPA midsize? 4.5 passengers, EPA compact?

Cargo room: Larger rear cargo space + frunk 10 ft^3

Tow package available? Yes No

Autonomous Driving: Level 4! TACC - (ACC) coming soon

Styling: Yes, included Yes, included

Quality, Reliability, Durability: Tesla is committed to improve QRD and to have high quality at M3 launch Gen 1 Volt has been world class competitive

Service Network: Smaller network, and servicing could be overloaded with work Large network, not overloaded, but Dealer owned and operated

0-60 mph: 3-6 sec 8 sec

Top speed: 155 mph 98 mph

Handling: Better Very good

2. cheekedave

cheekedave Member

I drive a Chevy Volt right now. It is a great car. I want completely off gas though and that's one big reason why I am getting a Model 3. No need for any kind of gas when you have SC and a good range on an EV. Like I told my friends and family, the Volt is a good "in between" car to take a step into the EV world.

• Like x 1
  3. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I'm not sure why people keep comparing the Volt to the Model 3... they need to be comparing the Bolt to the Model 3.

4. garsh

garsh Re Member

5. plug&play

plug&play New Member

Chevy Volt's MSRP is $33,220 not $37,499

6. deonb

deonb Active Member

Say whaaat...?

If you're going to make a strawman argument (comparing charge stations to gas stations), then you would also have to compare gas stations to 110V electrical outlets.

• Like x 4
  7. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

Of course people can compare it to whatever they want. You could compare the 3 to a VW bus. Doesn't mean it makes sense to.

• Dislike x 2
  8. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

I view the Volt as the most functional step towards EV use that was available back in 2013 when I bought mine. It has functioned flawlessly in the capacity that it was designed. I have driven 80% all electric in the 45,000 miles I have driven mine. It was the logical first step.

Now I am ready for everything the the Model 3 represents. Full EV, plenty of range, technology and performance unmatched in the industry for the price. All for not much more money than that Volt would run.

Thank you Chevrolet for providing the transitional vehicle...now it's time for Tesla to take its place.

Dan

• Like x 5
  9. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

ACC is available now for 2017 Volt.

10. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

#10 S'toon, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    If for some reason my reservation for the 3 falls through, I'd go with the Volt. There's no infrastructure for fast charging the Bolt, and no plans to build one. The nearest CCS charger is even further away from me than the nearest Supercharger. There are 0 plans to build any CCS chargers in driving range. But the Volt I could go on road trips with.

• Like x 4
  11. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

The current Volt with 50+ AER is a lot more compelling (approaching iMIEV levels of EV range).

12. Chris Pauwels

Chris Pauwels New Member

The 8 bit guy did a great job on this. We recently bought a 2017 Chevy Volt. It's perfect car for my wife. She drives about 60-70 kms/day to and from work. With the current warmer temps the car is giving us about 100 kms range. The car was at a superb price including the local government incentives. The base model LT is well equipped. Finally, it drives beautifully and my wife gives it a big thumbs up.

I have also reserved a Model 3 and that will be the car to replace my Fusion Hybrid. We feel the Volt and M3 combo will give us the best solution... great styling, gas free local driving, affordable, and lack of range anxiety depending on our need for future long distance drives (SC network here in BC is still very limited).

I must say the only problem with the Chevy Volt is the lack of supply and the embarrassing lack of knowledge from the dealers. The opportunity cost for Chevy is considerable.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Welcome to the board.

I don't know about Vancouver, but I talked to a local Volt owner who said the dealer wouldn't bring in a Volt unless it was paid for up front first.

14. Chris Pauwels

Chris Pauwels New Member

Yes, according the dealers here they cannot order one for stock. So, 2-3 mo factory order only. Tough to sell a car when prospective buyers can't see, feel or drive it. It's kind of sad really.

15. GSP

GSP Member

Thanks. I was getting confused with that other car. :rolleyes:

My info was a few months old. Glad to see GM is now accepting orders. Thanks.

I wish I could edit my original post to correct this, like in the old days at TMC. I also would like to get my spreadsheet formatting if I can figure out how.

Maybe it could be changed into a wiki post?

Thanks all for your interest and responses.

GSP

16. GSP

GSP Member

Jeff,

I agree that where a DC fast charging network is available, the Bolt EV would be a much better comparison. However today you cannot drive outside the central Indiana region and find a fast charger to continue to a nearby state, or to return home the same day. I also don't think that the 110 V outlets (that someone suggested) will enable such travel either. There is no subtitute for DC fast charging to enable the same type of travel that gasoline or Diesel engines allow.

So, for now at least, I have to disagree and say the Volt is the better car to compare. As has been pointed out, there already is a tread for comparing the Model 3 to the Bolt EV for people that want to do that.

GSP

17. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

That's still apples to oranges...

18. Pdub2015

Pdub2015 Member

This may be changing.