Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it remains to be seen. The famous "no ACC for Bolt" is from an interview that says the Bolt will not have blended brakes. This has puzzled a lot of people.
While the blended brakes explanation was not a valid explanation for why adaptive cruise control was left out of the Bolt (neither the i3 nor the Model S has blended brakes and they have adaptive cruise control), the answer was pretty clear that there won't be adaptive cruise control in the Bolt (while blended brakes was just a side point):
"No. Adaptive cruise control – no, you would need the blended brakes to do that and we didn’t want to do that with this car. However, all the standard side blind zones, rear cross traffic alert, ten air bags, all that’s there. What’s new is the optional Rear Camera Mirror."
Exclusive: Inside The Chevrolet Bolt With Its Chief Engineer - New Details

I would venture to guess the chief engineer would have the same definition of adaptive cruise control as most people, although what he meant with "blended brakes" may have mixed interpretations.

While the blended brakes explanation was not a valid explanation for why adaptive cruise control was left out of the Bolt (neither the i3 nor the Model S has blended brakes and they have adaptive cruise control), the answer was pretty clear that there won't be adaptive cruise control in the Bolt (while blended brakes was just a side point):

Just read the interview of Mary Barra in Time, and was interested in her idea that the focus of GM is now full autonomous autopilot.

Seems like they'd better get on the stick. Tesla's already ahead of them a few years.

But will it have SuperCruise as an option?
Supercruise would be a superset of adaptive cruise control, so I don't see why he would answer "no" to the question if the car would have supercruise (esp. given he spent the extra time to explain other safety features the car has). Again, I am presuming the engineer understood what adaptive cruise control means (which hopefully he does being a chief engineer).

OK then. I guess they went through chapter 11 bankruptcy and were bailed out by the Fed's because they have a better product line than Ford? Oh wait! Ford is the only LARGE NA automaker that has never gone bankrupt. Bear with me. I'm having a bad morning and apoligize in advance.

P.S. I have a grade 11 education and I think break is spelled brake (nothing to do with this post). Like I posted, I'm having a bad day

Because for some reason everyone likes and buys fords, despite issues like grenading modular v8s through several years (seen a lot of these on the side of the road, known a couple personally to blow up), tauruses with failing transmissions, mustangs are slow and built cheaper than my saturn. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Anyone choosing to drive a GM can't honestly complain about the quality of Tesla... or most other cars, at any price range. It clearly isn't a priority for you.

I own and drive both presently (Volt and Model S and Roadster)... I've put 10's of thousands of miles in the pilots seat of both... I think I can honestly complain about or point out, rather, anything I notice between them. I'm not coming from a biased perspective and I happen to have the resources to know what I'm talking about, like I have said many times on these forums I love TESLA vehicles (Should be OBVIOUS) but I am also realistic and don't pretend they are superior in all ways than other vehicles (except where that is true).

So far, I didn't need to have any drivetrain replaced on my MY2012 Ampera (107.000+km). I'm also still on my first 12V battery.

Oh, and I don't have to wait 3-4 months to get my car serviced.

Same situation... Also have a Model S; haven't had to replace drivetrain but definitely more issues than the Volt and I've replaced the 12V a few times already...

My 2 cents on the subject. Tesla model 3 looks like a BMW 3 series. The bolt looks like a Ford Focus. There is nothing wrong with a Ford Focus, but nobody would buy a Ford Focus at a price of a BMW 3 series.

My bet is that once the model 3 comes out they will sell used for under $20k

Except that many of us don't consider it an EV anymore than it's motorcycle when you use a ramp to make it drive on two wheels.

When you use just electricity to power a car, folk tend to think of the car as powered by electricity.

If you classify vehicles based on political agenda instead of true power source, then it can be considered to be powered by anything. There are those who believe BEV's are powered by coal, hence are dirty. It does not make it true, but that thinking does serve a purpose. Having no 'valid solution' is a popular solution for many. If an EV cannot do everything a gas car can, and do it cleaner, then they are destructive in their eyes. Their excuse goes in the toilet when it comes to a Volt running off green electricity.

I believe range extended EV's still part of the solution. Until EV's with significant range are affordable and flexible and have a charging grid denser than gas stations, EREV's are a clever solution to fix things NOW instead of an indeterminate point in the future.

The South Park Smug Control problem is of our own making. We do not need to generate smug pollution unless we want to.

And no, I do not consider a 6,000lb Model X as good for the environment as a fuel injected motorcycle with 70 mpg at 70 mph that weighs 428lb. It does not damage the roads, add to congestion (congestion wastes everybodies fuel - increases emissions), use as much energy to mfr, consume as much syn rubber and landfill area, or make as much airborne emissions in coal states. Just because you switched the powerplant in a large 6000 lb car doesn't make it as green as all other options, just like motorcycle is not as green as a bicycle.

You can consider a 6000lb'r as green as walking if you wish. That's your choice. It is every American's God Given Right to be Wrong. ;)

You're upset they got bailed out? Chrysler has been bailed out multiple times (twice that I can remember), yet less people bring that up than gm.

very different than the GM story

CORPORATE BUSINESS | FEBRUARY 05 2015
The Truth Behind the Chrysler Bailout
Time has come to once and for all put to bed the urban legend that “Fiat SpA’s Sergio Marchionne gained control of Chrysler without spending a single dollar.”

Let’s set the record straight and not purposely forget such essential facts as: a) in June 2009, Chrysler’s value was zero, to say the least; b) at that time, nobody was lining up in front of Chrysler’s Auburn Hills, Michigan, headquarters interested in buying a single stake in the automaker; c) since 2009, Fiat has made massive investments into Chrysler, including contributing its intellectual property and welcoming tens of thousands of dedicated new hires into the fold. And can we, at long last, refrain from referencing the all-too-frequent, self-centered and hilarious interpretations of Chrysler by – among others – a failed contestant of the lengthy and highly-publicized three-way succession race for the coveted high throne at GE.

Fiat S.p.A. paid more than $5.6 billion to acquire the full ownership of Chrysler Group LLC, recently renamed FCA US LLC.

In detail, Fiat paid: $1.268 billion for an incremental equity call option, to acquire 16% of Chrysler; $500 million for the 6% formerly owned by the U.S. Treasury; $125 million to acquire the 1.5% formerly owned by the Canadian governments; $75 million to purchase the rights under an equity recapture agreement; and $3.65 billion to purchase the final 41.5% of equity interests in Chrysler Group that had been held by the UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust, also known as the VEBA.

Additionally, please note that Ron Bloom, formerly a special assistant to President Obama, in an interview with Detroit radio personality Paul W. Smith, stated: “When Chrysler, the new company, says: We paid back every penny we borrowed − that is 100 percent correct.”

This is the truth, plain and simple. All the rest is fiction, urban myth with the added and unsavory flavor of intellectual dishonesty.

You can use a wrench to drive in nails all day long, but that doesn't make it a hammer.

Yes is does. A rock, ski boot boot, a stick, a 55 gallon drum, a tractor weight, are all things I've had to use as hammers, not including hand tools.

Or, you could COULD say that if you used a wrench to install a nail, you screwed the nail in. Which might be the way you talk, but common gearhead lingo would be to say you hammered the nail in.

Yes is does. A rock, ski boot boot, a stick, a 55 gallon drum, a tractor weight, are all things I've had to use as hammers, not including hand tools.

Or, you could COULD say that if you used a wrench to install a nail, you screwed the nail in. Which might be the way you talk, but common gearhead lingo would be to say you hammered the nail in.

Asking for a hammer, but receiving a wrench is an example of what's wrong with describing the Volt as an EV.

It's difficult to have a rational discussion if everyone starts discussing things as they believe them to be, instead of what they are. The Volt is a hybrid, it was designed as a hybrid (there is a reason GM describes the Volt having 53 EV miles).

If we're going to discuss the Volt we should, too, be referring to it as a hybrid. Regardless of how it's personally used.

Reactions: Krugerrand and Jaff
Asking for a hammer, but receiving a wrench is an example of what's wrong with describing the Volt as an EV.

It's difficult to have a rational discussion if everyone starts discussing things as they believe them to be, instead of what they are. The Volt is a hybrid, it was designed as a hybrid (there is a reason GM describes the Volt having 53 EV miles).

If we're going to discuss the Volt we should, too, be referring to it as a hybrid. Regardless of how it's personally used.

Since most cars are purchased to drive, how they are used seems to be a large factor.

It is of interest that Leaf drivers log fewer pure EV miles per day than Volt drivers. So while you might believe a Leaf is an EV and a Volt is not, apparently a Leaf is a worse EV than a Hybrid is. It's is responsible for a larger carbon footprint. Because those mile you aren't driving the Leaf, you are driving an ICE instead.

Do you consider the BMW i3-Rex a hybrid too? (Many people wouldn't)

I like to refer to the Volt and the i3-Rex as EREVs. More accurate than just "hybrid" which covers a lot of vehicles. A Volt is not the same as a Prius, or even a plug-in-Prius.