Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has to be the battle Chevy has been waiting for. So without further ado, lets compare and judge this EV prize fight.

Pricing
Tesla has stated from the beginning that the Model 3 would cost the consumer $35,000.00 before federal and state tax credits. They delivered on that promise at the recent unveiling. Chevy’s Bolt will cost $37,500 before federal and state tax credits. Let’s stop here for a second and make sure everyone understands what a tax credit is. The tax credit does not mean everyone will get it. It will depend on multiple factors when filling your taxes. So we need to measure these cars by the MSRP without calculating the tax credit. If you decide to lease either car, then you don’t get the tax credit at all. Now, I know there could be an argument between which car will have the most technology in the base price, but I have to say with Tesla’s track record on delivering technology in their cars, they will crush Chevy. The winner is Tesla!

Winner: Tesla Model 3

Range
Chevy’s website states that the Bolt’s range will be more than 200 miles per charge. Tesla is stating their Model 3 will have 215 miles per charge. Since Tesla is telling us that 215 miles per charge is just the beginning, one would think there will be options to get the car up to 300 miles per charge maybe even higher. The Internet rumors have been saying Chevy might hit the 240 miles per charge range, which would be very nice but the one thing most can all agree on is both cars will not hit their EPA stated numbers. There are just too many factors that can hinder range on electric vehicles. I have to give this round to Tesla as they have better battery technology to date.

Technology
With three vehicles in the Tesla line-up, we know what to expect from Tesla in regards to their technology from AutoPilot to the big computer screen that runs the whole car (there are only 2 buttons/switches on the dash). With Chevy, we really just don’t have a lot to go on yet other than what’s on their website. So far, from everything I have read about the Bolt’s technology, it seems they have a lot crammed into their base car, but they are going up against Tesla who really is a technology company first. Technology goes to Tesla!

Winner: Telsa Model 3

Performance
This will be a quick one. Tesla is faster than the Bolt. Elon said it best “We do not build slow cars” Tesla wins!

The Look
Now here is where we come to the fork in the road. I assume Chevy’s design engineers want to wow us with their design capabilities, but the powers to be at Chevy are traditionally old school guys who think a car should look a certain way. Really guys? Why don’t you listen to the consumer? We want edgy in-your- face cars. Cars that will wow people as they pass by. Cars with such a wow factor they fly off the lots. That’s the space where Tesla lives. More wow factor in every design. You go Tesla! We know who wins this one don’t we? All you have to do is look at both cars side by side.

Delivery Schedule
I have to admit; Tesla has not been the most punctual car manufacture as it relates to keeping a delivery date. Chevy has many more people and money to throw at production issues to make sure they hit their delivery dates. I just hope that Tesla has really learned from their past mistakes and can prove everyone wrong. Crossing my fingers…… The winner of this category goes to Chevy.

Winner: Chevy Bolt

Charging
One word ‘Supercharger” Enough said. Tesla kills Chevy. Chevy has no charging infrastructure and they rely on others to build it. That’s going to work, right? I blogged recently on this topic. It was called “Range anxiety – The Electric Highway” Please read that blog.

Well there you go. I really feel with all the information we have so far on both cars; Tesla wins hands down over Chevy. Tesla might be a young car company, but they are truly reshaping the automotive industry like it or not.

Visit my YouTube channel

Visit my Facebook page

My Blog Site

@elonmusk @chevyboltnews @teslamotors @chevrolet

Charging category will probably also include the onboard charger once we get more info. The Bolt supposedly has a 7.2kW charger (30amps). The Model S and X come with 10kW (maybe should be called 9.6kW) charger standard (40amps). I assume the 3 will have a similar/same charger to the S and X.

Right off the bat I'm going to say that Chevy is going to have to lower the price of the bolt. With Tesla undercutting them on the car and giving you more mileage for a base model I don't see how they could even compete. The only benefit they really have is the fact that their car will be to market quicker. But knowing what the model 3 can offer, a lot of the people interested in a bolt might just wait.

Reactions: UnbeknownstToAll
We have yet to see how many batteries will LG sell to GM at $140/kwh so I would not be so sure that Bolt wins on Delivery Schedule.

To me difference is simpler, Bolt wins in cargo space, Model 3, everything else.

Some things to ponder:

The Bolt is designed from the ground up for ride-sharing, car-sharing, and autonomous operation. Lyft gave their input into it. Chevrolet is working on the autonomy programming right now.

There will have to be SAE J1772:2009 DCFC available for this to work. Tesla, GM and EVERYBODY is participating in this expansion of the CCS interface - Mission: Charging Interface Initiative e. V. (CharIN e. V.)

GM might not even have to sell the Bolt to the public to make it viable. And Chevrolet can lose money on the Bolt during startup.

The chassis has a big ass bite out of it where the rear drive motor and axles would be. Chevy is staying quiet about it.

While the CT6 has automatic driving aids (AP), Chevy will make no comment on the Bolt. However, it DOES have all the sensors and components for 360° vision and radar as they already demonstrated them.

The Bolt that the Model 3 must compete with is not the 2017 Bolt, it's the 2018 Bolt. The price and features have not been released for the 2018 Bolt.

This is not to say the Model 3 will not be a better value, it's simply not as one-sided as you think.

Chevy should do a preorder day like Tesla last Thursday and see how many people put a deposit down.
Chevy has already announced that they are not concerned with preorders. They will manufacture their cars and send them immediately to the dealers for them to sell. All you have to do is go to a dealership, take a test drive, and buy it and take it home.

You cannot order a Chevrolet before the build sheet is out.

Chevy is like everyone else, there are some legal issues with auto manufacturers taking money for cars before the prices are listed.

There are a buttload of laws restricting car sales, and they are not same in every state.

I do not know of any large automaker who takes money before the build sheets are out.