Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Wireless Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joahg

Jun 26, 2019
Texas
I preordered the Model 3 Wireless Charger the day it was released, planning to replace my Nomad charger once I received the new one. My primary reason was because the way the Nomad charger is designed, it severely restricts the size of the phone that's able to be charged using it. With my Nomad charger, my Pixel 3 XL with a case on it (about 6 5/16" tall) barely fit on the charger, and I have run into issues with other people not being able to fit larger phones on the charger.

I received the new charger today, and the Tesla Model 3 Wireless Charger gives my phone about 1/2" of additional clearance and fits into the slot very nicely. I'm very happy with it. Planning on selling my like-new Nomad charger on Ebay soon.

An additional benefit of the new charger is that it allows me to still lift up the panel and easily access the USB ports. the Nomad charger was a hassle to work around when I needed to do that.

I received my Tesla Wireless Charger today. Unfortunately it didn't come with a splitter to keep the dashcam disabled. Does anyone have a simple splitter to recommend? The Onvian one I found in past threads that people recommended is no longer available.

awesome, thanks for sharing this info! Still waiting for mine to be shipped unfortunately.

No problem! this is exactly the information I had attempted to find, so I wanted to put it out there so other people could get the information if they were trying to find it.

I received my Tesla Wireless Charger today. Unfortunately it didn't come with a splitter to keep the dashcam disabled. Does anyone have a simple splitter to recommend? The Onvian one I found in past threads that people recommended is no longer available.

That is one thing that I noticed when installing it. Not sure why Tesla wouldn't have included one in the box :/ I'm just keeping the one(s) that came with my Nomad charger, so I'm not much help, unfortunately. Any USB 3.0 splitter should work just as well.

They are available from several sellers on Amazon, e.g.:

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Splitter-Power-Extension-Adapter/dp/B07CKQSTCB/
https://www.amazon.com/Electop-USB-Male-Dual-Female/dp/B017OQ26OA/

You can also simply leave one cable unconnected if you don't need to charge two phones simultaneously very often. The two sides are internally completely independent.

Don't bother trying to use the Tesla charger with the 12v jack. I tested it along the the Taptes, and the Jeda v2. None of that fast charge using a ubs 3.0 charger plugged into the 12v. They also do not fast charge with a 3.0 battery pack. I'm guessing that the Nomad doesn't either. My testing came out that they all charge at around the same rate, approx 600ma max. I think the Tesla is a better fit and has a larger coil though, so it is easier to drop you phone onto.

Todd