Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3/Y HUD Full LED Digital Screen Instrument Cluster Plug N Play.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm excited to have the opportunity to add this to my MY when I finally get around to ordering one this Spring.

I am concerned if anyone has had a problem with Tesla Service with respect to warranty work or service in general for any after market accessories.

I've added a couple accessories to my MS electrical such as 12 volt receptacles in the Trunk and back seat but now with a full year the car has been perfect and not requiring any service calls. I also have added USB power near the Rear view mirror to plug in a GoPro.

One You Tuber tried to install his own new center console and it bricked his Y but Service came out and fixed it for him. No mention of voiding the warranty.

With the default glass in a Tesla you get a reflection from both the inside and outside surfaces of the glass so you get sort of a ghost on whatever you are looking at reflected from the dash, that's why you see so many that have their own plastic reflector. There are some that come with a sticker for the windshield to cut down on the ghosting.

I am curious how it looks in a car that comes from the factory with a reflective HUD.

With the default glass in a Tesla you get a reflection from both the inside and outside surfaces of the glass so you get sort of a ghost on whatever you are looking at reflected from the dash, that's why you see so many that have their own plastic reflector. There are some that come with a sticker for the windshield to cut down on the ghosting.

I am curious how it looks in a car that comes from the factory with a reflective HUD.
I've not seen that on the MS and only on the side windows of the Y with the double pane and when the light is just right.
Are you sure the windshield is double pane as well?

I've not seen that on the MS and only on the side windows of the Y with the double pane and when the light is just right.
Are you sure the windshield is double pane as well?
This is not about the windshield being double pane (which it isn't indeed). The reason you see a double reflection (on any windshield not specifically made to use with HUD) is that both the inside and outside surface of the (single pane) glass reflect the image.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
Interesting. I never saw the double images from a HUD but in doing a bit of research I found this:

1616189088152.png

Interesting, did you keep the URL? I would love to know what that windshield looks like after a few feet of getting thicker, also not sure how that limits ghost reflections, just would offset it more.
I recall it was from an Audi information file on a patent so go to an Audi dealer and check it out.

I decided to do some digging because one explanation here actually defied the laws of optical physics. Forum opinions are not the best source, however they often raise more questions. A much better source I have found over the years is to look for the patents on these new technologies.

So now that is cleared up, we can put to rest the idea of a retrofit HUD and concentrate on a nice second LCD screen. :)