Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S VIN 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jurvetson on his touchscreen:

....I found it particularly surreal after the NPR interview when my car's web browser defaults to the tesla.com site, and there is a picture of this very car the day before it went to the paint shop.... with a countdown clock to the official customer ship date and test drive tour.

Below that is a google map view, with live traffic updates. It's a bit surreal to drive with satellite view zoomed in to the max. You can see the parking lot and nearby environs in a way that is so much more contextually interesting than a desktop big screen.

Another interesting cloud service is the album art display (here seen to the right of the speedometer, but normally on the big screen for me). No matter what the music source (radio, satellite, internet from overseas or personalized channels, bluetooth from your phone, or as in this case, MP3s on a thumb drive in one of the USB ports), the car sends a music sample for sound recognition and fetches a high-res image of the album art and the song's metadata, so the song process bar and title are part of the display.

Last edited:
His comment from a blog post below that last link:

Jurvetson: 'Quite a few people and focus groups and such, and like Apple, sometimes you go with a hunch. Also like Apple, the hardware is a minimalist vessel for code. So it's easily upgradable and ties to web services.

I have not found the screen distracting. While parked, some of the information features are interesting. While driving, I use the big screen for a map and the dash screens for music and energy/regeneration monitoring (out of curiosity). The driver configures what goes where, and can have the dash areas go unused if so desired. Having had maps of various sizes in various cars, I think it's safer to have it large and easy to see at a glance. As for the A/C and music controls, the touch screen is not much different than a dedicated set of dials, with the exception of tactile feedback if you are feeling for a knob without looking. Many cars have done away with the center console button profusion (I remember some older cars with an impossibly complex rows of buttons for everything, including all radio presets). The common fixed function knobs, like volume control, are on the steering wheel, or in the case of driving functionality, in the usual places on the paddles around the steering column.

They can upgrade the UI over the air, and offer new features to the installed base over time.

A future UI feature I'df like to see is a "Make it Hot" button. This is for some ladies I know who insist on overriding every automatic AC feature until they get warm. So the button would pump max heat and seat heaters until it was unset, and then all would resort to auto. This would save a ton of button presses for our family use case. =)

By the way, I think the seat heaters are something out of this world. I don't think this amount of heat is possible in a gas-burning car (those cars can pump waste heat through the vents, but the car seat heaters run off the little 12V lead acid battery). With many kW of electrical power at the Tesla's disposal, they can really pump the heat.'

sounds good to me!

Another interesting cloud service is the album art display (here seen to the right of the speedometer, but normally on the big screen for me). No matter what the music source (radio, satellite, internet from overseas or personalized channels, bluetooth from your phone, or as in this case, MP3s on a thumb drive in one of the USB ports), the car sends a music sample for sound recognition and fetches a high-res image of the album art and the song's metadata, so the song process bar and title are part of the display.

Perhaps for another thread, but I still maintain that for local MP3s this shouldn't be needed. Hopefully the fetching only happens if you don't have artwork embedded in your MP3 file.

> Jurvetson on his touchscreen

Am I allowed to dream of a 17in screen for my Roadster dash? With customizable displays like 8in high speedo, and 6in high duelling 'range estimators' below.
Oh yes, also a 4in high altimeter readout. That's all I really really want. 8^))
--

founderb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: