Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X delivery Fail (Fraud?, Breach of contract?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model X delivery Fail, What should I do?

I ordered a model X 75D through buena park representative on 9/06/2018. I got lucky getting an inventory car (***50miles odometer) with price adjustment $5,398.
To benefit from referral promotion, which ended on 9/16/18, I even recommended my friend to get a MX for gettting a life time/unlimited free super charge.

Well, here comes trouble.
I was told that car needs 1 to 2 weeks for essential services before the release; My family and I waited with great excitement for future family car and great expectation for brand Tesla.
On D-day to pick up my car, I was humiliated in front of my whole family, whom I invited to Tesla Costa Mesa service center to take memorable pictures with our new family car!!
The car’s odometer was over 946miles (I signed up for 50miles) and I was so shocked how Tesla employee dealt with their mistakes, and how inattentive with contracts!
Ds or Oa whatever this lady made nonsense claiming that I purchased an “USED CAR” with “As Is” condition, which I could never find it from my contract.

After his lousy argument, the manager asked me if i wanted a refund, without any apology or an explanation. I drove to Buena park Tesla for an explanation and I was informed by Buena park manager that car was mistakenly loaned, tested drive with proactive buyer. Then, the manager offered me $140(price adjustment for 900mi) and 2years maintenance service for taking “USED CAR” with 946 miles run.
I never wanted a USED CAR!! When I signed up, I appreciated the price adjustment but the main reason was the fact that I can receive the car faster.

I asked the manager to rent me a car (I sold mine for a new Tesla,which I expected) until he finds matching car but his answer was “NO”. California without a car, with 2 boys waiting at home. Great.
All I ask for is a *rent car before Tesla finds me a new MX that matches the condition I signed for, *plus 4 years warranty for all this hassle.
For those of you who read this post ( by the way, I appreciate your time to read this), am I asking too much to Tesla? I believe Tesla expects customers to bear frustrating situation without taking any responsibilities.

The Manager just informed me this "After review, our leadership team has determined that the 2 years of complimentary service is the extent of which we will be able to remedy your car having accrued mileage pre-delivery. "

I’d like to hear your thoughts….

Sorry you had such a bad experience. But did you inspect the car? Is it in almost new condition? Is there any visible wear and tear? An extra 900 miles in the grand scheme of things is a very small bump in the road, if everything else checks out. The car is still considered a new car -- so you get the full warranty and the federal tax credit. Two years of service is worth about $1200 or so. That's not bad for 900 miles. You also got a $5k discount off the price of an absolutely new/custom build car. So the bottom line is, if everything else is satisfactory (the build quality, panel gaps, wear and tear, etc) and the car matches your specifications, I would accept delivery and their offer for service and just not worry about 900 miles.

I bought my first P85+ as a 'new' inventory car with 8000 miles on the odometer and a significant discount off of list price. The car was delivered in 'like new' condition. While I did know about the mileage ahead of time, I was getting a pretty good deal and it never bothered me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

If I wanted used car (which may be well taken care by previous owner), it could be not a big deal and I may consider this as miscommunication but they used it as loaner car(which people usually would not care that much) after I signed.
They should have locked it.
They should have explained me before I get there with my whole family.
At least they should have told me when they present the document and asking my signature.
Take a look below(attached) contract, 50mi and showroom adjustment. I did signed up not only because of the price adjustment, but also because of the fast delivery.
Still legally new? I know but it's not what I ordered.
I am simply requesting what's in the contract.

Attachments

• Sep 6, Doc 1.pdf
    246.2 KB · Views: 88
If I wanted used car (which may be well taken care by previous owner), it could be not a big deal and I may consider this as miscommunication but they used it as loaner car(which people usually would not care that much) after I signed.
They should have locked it.
They should have explained me before I get there with my whole family.
At least they should have told me when they present the document and asking my signature.
Take a look below(attached) contract, 50mi and showroom adjustment. I did signed up not only because of the price adjustment, but also because of the fast delivery.
Still legally new? I know but it's not what I ordered.
I am simply requesting what's in the contract.

I am not downloading a PDF from you. Post an image.

I am not saying it's right. It sucks because you ordered one thing and they messed up. They tried making it right by giving you 2 years of maintenance. You don't have to take it. What are you hoping to get out of this? Some more concessions by posting it to multiple social media outlets? Clearly you want more than 2 years of maintenance. They won't do more than that. Time to move on or buy the car.

...I never wanted a USED CAR!!….

The configuration never mentions whether the car is new or used.

Just because it's listed as 50 miles, it's assumed as new but at 50 miles, it could be used too.

Tesla messed up on the odometer so it gave you some offers which you don't think sufficient.

If it is not fair, you have the right to get your deposit back and walk away.

It's just like when you take a new car delivery: If Tesla refuses to fix the panel gaps, you can walk away without paying the full payment.

In that case, Tesla won't be able to sell you a car and you won't have to pay the full payment so there is no breach of contract on either side.

Reactions: brkaus and P85_DA
Yes u are ..u are getting a great deal additional miles or not this is not a used car as hasn’t been registered ...move on and complain in reddit
I dont think he is asking too much and there are some similar cases tesla offererd 4 yrs warranty.

he is not asking how much of that and this etc.
the point is simple he orderd mx stated 50miles and tesla mistakenly loand , being tested drive with somebody.

I wont buy even a new custom car if i know they will loan and rolling for test drive car.

I dont think he is asking too much and there are some similar cases tesla offererd 4 yrs warranty.

he is not asking how much of that and this etc.
the point is simple he orderd mx stated 50miles and tesla mistakenly loand , being tested drive with somebody.

I wont buy even a new custom car if i know they will loan and rolling for test drive car.

Warranty is always provided. Pre-paid maintenance is not. He agreed to purchase an inventory model x, not a custom build.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Really ?? Post some links ..I stand by what I said he is getting way more compensation than he should ..Tesla can easily sell that car as is without throwing in service ..
Mark on the bottom : teslamotors

good customer service and relationship not just $matters. yes tesla can sell it easly but he wont even think about tesla brand in his life and his family too.

Actually I also put a custom order MX picking up soon. am I getting excited? nop not at all.

Mark on the bottom : teslamotors

good customer service and relationship not just $matters. yes tesla can sell it easly but he wont even think about tesla brand in his life and his family too.

Actually I also put a custom order MX picking up soon. am I getting excited? nop not at all.

Wow one random goodwill now should be a company policy? ...good customer service matters to a point ..the demands of the OP went beyond what was reasonable ..all choices he made were his own ..ie he sold his car earlier ,.he brought his family only to be humilitafed(his words ) ..his desire to ask for way more than was necessary ...losing one customer is not going to break a company ...but Tesla bending over backwards way more than they need to will when they burn thru cash ..this car is probably sold already ... just not to burst your bubble when u get your car as well ..don’t be surprised on mileage on MVPA Tesla has generally put 50miles on it ..the actual miles may be slightly lower ...the whole premise from OP that this is fraud is pathetic ...there was no willful intent by Tesla to do this to him

I no doubt would be be upset too. But from the benefit of a third-party perspective, what they have offered you is a pretty good deal. Your options are to take what they have offered, wait for them to find you another one, order a new X, or walk away totally. To me, the "extra" 900 miles is a minimal downside compared to the other options.