Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X in the Movies and TV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info. And I think you just revealed a couple of spoilers but I will keep my speculation to myself ;-)

That's great that Spielberg is envisioning a future full of EVs.

I may have revealed that there *were* spoilers, but I wasn't going to tell what they were. As for the missing middle row seats, in a car where the front buckets swivel to face the rear, I imagine the interior would be sort of lounge-like anyway. Besides, it made for a better shot for TV.

I know it's only the first episode, but I'm really liking what I see so far. Just a few future touches like the cars, the trash disposal system, the computer graphics on the bathroom mirror, the transparent tablets and so on, but not so fantastic in-your-face futuristic as to put it out of touch with today. Hope to see more of the Model X in future episodes too.

This is probably the outcome of the appearance of the Model X prototype at the Culver Studios in January:
Has the Production Ready Model X Been Spotted?

Does anyone else see some really weird seating arrangements and cuts? at 9:08:32, he's in bucket seats facing backwards, and at 9:08:46, he's exiting from the back row bench with the middle row completely missing. Did he get up and change seats in those 14 seconds? Also, where is the middle row?

Just watch the show tonight. I think he is sitting in the driver's seat and its turned around facing the second row because the car is self-driving.

O

Ok guys not all the way through the episode yet, but here you go, an outside shot of it :)

There was also the i3 that Haley's character was driving, three model S (one with those winter hub caps I have seen Bjorn use on his car in Norway) and some orange car that I can't quite place. Will post the Model S shot in the other thread.
x in the background.PNG

partial x shot.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

PS I know this is an X for various reasons (even in the distance and poor shots) since as the i3 rolls forward with the camera tracking it, the third MS in the frame (that you can't see) is close enough to the X to get a perspective shot and you can clearly see the taller profile difference.

Nice grabs. It actually looks smaller than I expected. Surprisingly good in white!

It plays bigger in person Anzir. I've stood next to the mockup / prototype at Hawthorne (with the foam seats / dashboard) and next to the drivable prototype at TMC Connect last year. At least for my world view, Model X is going to be a physically huge car - though admittedly smaller than many vans and some truck based SUV's. (My world view of car ownership is primarily built on a Honda CRX and a Roadster).

Start with a Model S - I think make it a slightly longer and possibly wider (possibly not wider) - definitely make it taller; on the order of 6' at the top of the roof (the sort of estimate a 6' tall person, myself, arrived at by standing next to Model X and not being able to see the roof, while I can stand next to a Model S and see the roof).

And it's awfully nice to see them work the Model X into a street scene so smoothly. My wife and I watched the episode - I think that without this thread, we wouldn't have spotted any of the Teslas and other EVs in the scenes. Even with this thread, I think it's time to go back and watch the episode again :)

At least for my world view, Model X is going to be a physically huge car - though admittedly smaller than many vans and some truck based SUV's. (My world view of car ownership is primarily built on a Honda CRX and a Roadster).
Start with a Model S - I think make it a slightly longer and possibly wider (possibly not wider) - definitely make it taller; on the order of 6' at the top of the roof (the sort of estimate a 6' tall person, myself, arrived at by standing next to Model X and not being able to see the roof, while I can stand next to a Model S and see the roof).

I saw the X beta vehicle at the new Palo Alto showroom opening last October. It is big, but no larger than most full size SUVs.

I could not measure it but I doubt it is wider than the S since they are built on the same platform. I do think it is a bit longer but suspect it's easier to make a car body a little longer on the same platform than make it wider.

Last edited:

That's what made me feel the X was smaller than I expected... The S is much wider in person when compared to photos, and this looks even smaller than that. I really want to see one in person but I might not get a chance until my X is delivered!

Extant Episode 2

That's what made me feel the X was smaller than I expected... The S is much wider in person when compared to photos, and this looks even smaller than that. I really want to see one in person but I might not get a chance until my X is delivered!

I snapped this while searching for better angles. It shows the back end of the Model X with a Model S directly behind it. (Sorry for the BMW close-up, ha ha) It looks to me to be the same model that was in the showroom a couple of months ago in California.

Screen Shot 2014-07-19 at 1.14.00 AM.png

It look like the X has normal side mirrors in the picture with the I3?

I just had a short view of episode 2:

extant01.jpg
extant02.jpg

Look at the headrest, the shaping of the seats looks like Tesla, but the headrest looks adjustable?

Last edited:
It look like the X has normal side mirrors in the picture with the I3?

I just had a short view of episode 2:

View attachment 54159View attachment 54160

Look at the headrest, the shaping of the seats looks like Tesla, but the headrest looks adjustable?

I didn't get the impression that car was a Tesla. I don't have the episode anymore (I deleted it) in order to scan for more queues.

Look here at the shot of the X inside from the first episode. I am thinking this might be another i3 maybe? Anyone else any idea what that car is?
View attachment 53360

well only a side shot tonight on Extant, parked outside the house. I have the best one here. Nothing else special in the Model X front.
Actually, this is a pretty useful shot. It confirms that they've removed the center seats for the show, and also shows the car with the seats restored to a forward-facing position. I tried to identify any signs of parking sensors or other additions to the front bumper, but didn't see anything conclusive.

Clever choice of shows for Tesla product placements, if that's what it is. This is certainly enough to get me to start watching the show. Imagine the impact of having Teslas in future-oriented Spielberg films!!! :love:

And some of the scenes are probably shot in studios with props rather than in actual cars.........

Last edited: