Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they have some 3m glue double sided thin tape i believe. Sticks just great, and no, your roof won't crack from it.

Magnet "keeper" disks (small flat round steel slugs) with adhesive on the back to attach to the inside of the glass roof.

Thank you both. Does anyone have a photo of the roof looks like with these installed but without the sunshade in place?

Dumb question but what do the magnets actually attach to? The roof isn't metallic. Do they give you suction cups with a metal surface or something?
They're little 1 inch or so size metal disc's with an adhesive on one side. So you position those on the glass, install the shade, and attach the magnets to the underside, thus holding up the shade.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Hello everyone!

I have been watching this thread for quite awhile and have decided to start producing and designing our own. For those who already have a sunshade, if you can kindly reply on how we can improve your experience with your sunshade please let me know any recommendations so we can design the best possible sunshade on the market!

Thank you and god bless,
Jason
Co-founder

Hello everyone!

I have been watching this thread for quite awhile and have decided to start producing and designing our own. For those who already have a sunshade, if you can kindly reply on how we can improve your experience with your sunshade please let me know any recommendations so we can design the best possible sunshade on the market!

Thank you and god bless,
Jason
Co-founder
A powered sun shade would be great. It could be powered by the 12V accessory port in the rear hatch area or wired directly into the vehicle.

Hello everyone!

Thank you and god bless,
Jason
Co-founder
Make one that doesn't sag and fits properly and you will corner the market. I will dump this Tesmanian one in a heartbeat for one that doesn't sag...

Make one that doesn't sag and fits properly and you will corner the market. I will dump this Tesmanian one in a heartbeat for one that doesn't sag...

This! The magnets help, and it sure beats not having a sunshade in the hot months, but the sag can be a problem. To be honest, it doesn't affect me as much as the people seated in the back. So something to brace the mesh and hold it up would be great.

Reactions: BitJam and tshields
Hello everyone!

Thank you and god bless,
Jason
Co-founder
I agree about the fit issues. I think the packaging a bracing stave (whether plastic or wood) as part of the unit would be a great idea if it deals with the sag.

I don't know if it makes sense to have the top side of the shade be a color other than black (white or silver) to help with the cooling. while still letting in light.

I don't currently have one but will probably get the Tesmanian one but not install the magnets - I don't think I want to stick anything onto the roof (just like I don't like stickers on the outside of my cars...). I don't mind a little sag but something like a cross brace would be the best solution, IMHO.

I also am not a fan of the stick on magnets. I was surprised how useless the second “blackout” layer was too. I thought it would be helpful for our ridiculous heat, but it moved around so much in the saggy space that the noise convinced me to remove it after one trip. The mesh works well enough even at 110+

• Informative
Reactions: CapsEngineer
I also am not a fan of the stick on magnets. I was surprised how useless the second “blackout” layer was too. I thought it would be helpful for our ridiculous heat, but it moved around so much in the saggy space that the noise convinced me to remove it after one trip. The mesh works well enough even at 110+

haven't used the blackout layer yet, but what is funny is going to Vegas was going to be my usage test. Was hoping it worked to help the heat coming in.

haven't used the blackout layer yet, but what is funny is going to Vegas was going to be my usage test. Was hoping it worked to help the heat coming in.
For me, the mesh is enough to keep my head from getting hot. With all of the windows tinted (besides the roof, and blue air 80 on the windshield) the roof shade, and Tesla’s hatch shade, the car has no issues in this heat so far.

For me, the mesh is enough to keep my head from getting hot. With all of the windows tinted (besides the roof, and blue air 80 on the windshield) the roof shade, and Tesla’s hatch shade, the car has no issues in this heat so far.
Seems a mesh hat would be an easier solution… until Tesla makes a retractable shade. I too would not want to stick tape/glue on my glass roof.

• Funny
Reactions: alexcue
Hello everyone!

Thank you and god bless,
Jason
Co-founder
If you can make a 2 piece/split design, that would solve the sagging issue. Also it'll allow people to use just either the front half or rear half independently, depending on need.

I just installed mine and yes, it sags.

Where do we get said magnets from?
They're supposed to come with the new shade, or so I was told - sent me mine after I bought one of the original ones.

As for sticking the disc's on the roof I was skeptical too but I tried it and it was no big deal. I can always remove them if desired, not like they're permanent or anything. There's quite a sag without them and I really doubt any sort of cross bridge type thing will work, there's just not enough arc. The brace would have to be the perfect length and with the minor variabilities of the trim pieces I just don't see that turning out too well.

If you can make a 2 piece/split design, that would solve the sagging issue. Also it'll allow people to use just either the front half or rear half independently, depending on need.
Taking this concept one step further. Have a stave with u shape grooves on both sides that the frame edges would hook into since there would not be any clips for the edges where the two pieces come together.