Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a stave of 1" x 1/4" x ~ 41 7/8" nylon/plastic sheet. Readily available from any source of plastics. Sprayed it with matte black paint.....seems to work well! Just need another light coat on the spray.
Stave.JPG
Stave1.jpg

Last edited:
to follow up, I purchase the version 2 kit (magnets + optional opaque sunshade).

The magnets are a significant improvement over the version 1. It removes ~70-80% of the 'sag'. I guess I can't speak to the appearance, it looks fine to me but I don't have to see it from the driver's seat. But it does feel a little more roomy up top.
where'd you place the magnets and any concern as to the adhesive on the glass?

Reactions: 73Bruin
After using the nylon stave (see #181) for several days, it became apparent that in the heat of the day as the interior temp of the car increased, the nylon/plastic would not hold the spring of its "bow"....so, went with a 1/4" x 1 1/4" x 41 7/8" lath strip, readily available at any hardware store/lumber yard.

Attachments

• wood stave.jpg
    wood stave.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 334
Reactions: rjpjnk
I've only had mine up about a week now, I did add the magnets. Since they are further toward the back seat and maybe 8 inches from the coat hanger, I don't see them from the drivers seat. So far had a couple of "hot" days, one day was into low 90's. The small disk that sticks to the glass and has so far held up okay, but time will tell. The magnet does a good job of keeping the sag to a minimum.

I do think the sunshade makes a difference to the felt heat coming though while you are driving. I actually had to raise the AC temp a bit to compensate. YMMV.

As far as when your car is just parked? Not really, it still getting pretty hot and I'm seeing the BMS kick on to cool the battery several times during the day when the temps here have been kicking up.

I love these sunshades. I've had it for about 9-10 months now so I probably have version 1. I took it off one time just to see what it was like, I put it back on the next day. Having a car seat rear facing, I don't want my kid to be looking up at the sun, so this thing is awesome.

I've only had mine up about a week now, I did add the magnets. Since they are further toward the back seat and maybe 8 inches from the coat hanger, I don't see them from the drivers seat. So far had a couple of "hot" days, one day was into low 90's. The small disk that sticks to the glass and has so far held up okay, but time will tell. The magnet does a good job of keeping the sag to a minimum.

I do think the sunshade makes a difference to the felt heat coming though while you are driving. I actually had to raise the AC temp a bit to compensate. YMMV.

As far as when your car is just parked? Not really, it still getting pretty hot and I'm seeing the BMS kick on to cool the battery several times during the day when the temps here have been kicking up.
Is yours one of the sunshades that is 2 layers: 1) the basic black screen 2) the reflective layer, that appears to sit on top? When you were getting these excellent results was it just the basic or both (which means no visibility through the sunroof).

Is yours one of the sunshades that is 2 layers: 1) the basic black screen 2) the reflective layer, that appears to sit on top? When you were getting these excellent results was it just the basic or both (which means no visibility through the sunroof).

Just the basic mesh sunshade, the extra layer is included, but doesn't need to be added. Maybe if I went to Vegas or something like that, and had to park outside.

....another update on the nylon/plastic stave......I tried it again after shortening it just slightly.....that made all the difference.....it has now been in place and stable despite some hot weather (90 deg+)here in central california. I think I prefer the plastic as it can be procured in a black plastic material which requires no finishing color-wise or surface smoothing.

Attachments

• IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 432
....another update on the nylon/plastic stave......I tried it again after shortening it just slightly.....that made all the difference.....it has now been in place and stable despite some hot weather (90 deg+)here in central california. I think I prefer the plastic as it can be procured in a black plastic material which requires no finishing color-wise or surface smoothing.
Thanks Bob. Can you tell us where you sourced the stave and didn't you say earlier you were using a piece of wood? Finally, what the final width is?

Thanks Bob. Can you tell us where you sourced the stave and didn't you say earlier you were using a piece of wood? Finally, what the final width
Initially, I used wood but didn't care for the woodgrain look. The I tried a white nylon/plastic strip that I had cut for me by a local plastics shop. Painted it black, but the paint wouldn't adhere too well and scraped off in areas......went back to the plastics shop and they had a plastic material in black which works perfectly. Final width is approximately 41 1/4 inches....I started with 41 7/8 and removed a bit at a time for fit. Because the width of the roof on the Y tapers, it's not super critical but in order to support the greatest area of sunshade sag, you're in the 41 1/4 range or so....my stave/spar is placed right at the "seam" between front and back sections of the Y's headliner, several inches in front of the coat hooks.

I was looking at going ahead and getting a sunshade. In addition to the Tasmanian version there are a host of sunshades from different vendors on Amazon. They look like that all came out of the same Chinese factory. Are the v2 versions from Tesmanian really any better in fitment, specifically less sag? Do the included magnets work and are really noticeable when the sunshade is down?

I was looking at going ahead and getting a sunshade. In addition to the Tasmanian version there are a host of sunshades from different vendors on Amazon. They look like that all came out of the same Chinese factory. Are the v2 versions from Tesmanian really any better in fitment, specifically less sag? Do the included magnets work and are really noticeable when the sunshade is down?
I was skeptical but the magnets actually work very well, IMHO. Here's a pic, though not a great one. I basically positioned them in a square pattern in the highest point of the roof though the perspective of the shot doesn't capture that very well. And no the 4 little disc's don't mar the view when down.

Attachments

• IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 370
I was skeptical but the magnets actually work very well, IMHO. Here's a pic, though not a great one. I basically positioned them in a square pattern in the highest point of the roof though the perspective of the shot doesn't capture that very well. And no the 4 little disc's don't mar the view when down.

Thank you. I assume you got the Tesmanian V2 sunshade with the magnets and reflective liner. Given the average summer temperature in Tucson is 100F or higher, how do you have your sunshade setup? Do you use both the shade and the liner? If you used both does adding the reflective liner it make a big difference I am going? to a road trip to Oakhurst in July and the temperature is almost as hot as Tucson.

Thank you. I assume you got the Tesmanian V2 sunshade with the magnets and reflective liner. Given the average summer temperature in Tucson is 100F or higher, how do you have your sunshade setup? Do you use both the shade and the liner? If you used both does adding the reflective liner it make a big difference I am going? to a road trip to Oakhurst in July and the temperature is almost as hot as Tucson.
Actually I have the first version - Tesmanian sent me the magnets later once they came up with a method to address the sagging. I tinted the whole car including the roof right after I got it. The shade on its own does a fine job I'm sure, I just wanted to leave the view open as much of the year as possible.