Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like it would be difficult to both be just long enough and get both ends secured but maybe...
My thought is that if they divide the screen in approximately half, they will have one unsecured edge for each half, which I think is a bad idea as each half would have a tendency to sag on the unsupported edge (and this is separate from the original sag issue). They could use some sort of clip to hook the two parts together but this wouldn't work for when the parts are separate. By designing a custom mounting bracket (perhaps a better word than a stave), they would know exactly where the bracket mounts on each side of the Y. It could have its own clips that are strong enough to hold the weight of the bracket and part of the weight of the two screens.

I was skeptical but the magnets actually work very well, IMHO. Here's a pic, though not a great one. I basically positioned them in a square pattern in the highest point of the roof though the perspective of the shot doesn't capture that very well. And no the 4 little disc's don't mar the view when down.
I only received 2 magnets, but did not receive anything to attach them. Did you purchase 2 additional magnets and how did you attach them.
Terry

I only received 2 magnets, but did not receive anything to attach them. Did you purchase 2 additional magnets and how did you attach them.
Terry

That’s odd, mine had the two magnets and two small round plates with the adhesive on it. That’s what got placed on glass. Anyway I ordered something else and asked them about two more magnets and they just threw them in for me. Just got them today as a matter of fact. (Live pretty close to their offices).

Terry
See my posts #196 and #204 above. As for receiving 4 ea. vs 2 ea. I had purchased the original version of this shade and was sent the magnets later once a fix for the sagging issue had been developed. So maybe they decided 2 ea. were enough sometime after that, though I like the 4 ea. method better.

Actually I have the first version - Tesmanian sent me the magnets later once they came up with a method to address the sagging. I tinted the whole car including the roof right after I got it. The shade on its own does a fine job I'm sure, I just wanted to leave the view open as much of the year as possible.
Is the roof tint worth it? Do you still need the shade after you got the roof tinted?

I haven't read the entire thread, but I just received the HeatShield roof sun shade. It's in 2 pieces. It's the semi-rigid roll-up shade, silver on one side, white on the other. It uses strategically placed suction cups, 6 per panel.

I have had it installed for 5 days, in and out of garage, 102f heat full sun for several hours, over 250 miles. They haven't budged and there is NO SAG. Silver side up, white inside...while driving, I don't even know it's there, and it probably reflects heat better than any fabric. I have pressed on the suction cups several times, and they don't seem to be losing their seal/grip.

Currently $44.95 for a two-piece roof sun shade, direct from HeatShield.

I haven't read the entire thread, but I just received the HeatShield roof sun shade. It's in 2 pieces. It's the semi-rigid roll-up shade, silver on one side, white on the other. It uses strategically placed suction cups, 6 per panel.

I have had it installed for 5 days, in and out of garage, 102f heat full sun for several hours, over 250 miles. They haven't budged and there is NO SAG. Silver side up, white inside...while driving, I don't even know it's there, and it probably reflects heat better than any fabric. I have pressed on the suction cups several times, and they don't seem to be losing their seal/grip.

Pictures please

Is that the top window Shade?

Last edited:
Terrible? Opinion, of course.

Incredible reflection of heat, which in TX is my objective. While driving, totally unnoticeable. No sag, no fluttering with air movement. Keep in mind, this will be used only from June through October.

Last edited: