Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thoughts, based on zero evidence, is that Model Y orders here will open soon after Giga Berlin is given whatever final approvals it needs to start full production. I think Tesla is focussed on sorting that out as a priority since they were hoping to have it pumping out cars about 3 months ago.
My thoughts exactly. I think once they can see Berlin in full production (without the 500 car per week limit currently imposed) then they should be able to realise what they could reasonably fulfil/produce. I also realise they probably have these numbers based on the test runs they have been doing with the current test vehicle cap.

My thoughts exactly. I think once they can see Berlin in full production (without the 500 car per week limit currently imposed) then they should be able to realise what they could reasonably fulfil/produce. I also realise they probably have these numbers based on the test runs they have been doing with the current test vehicle cap.
Yes seems like a safe bet, Giga Texas now producing Y with front and rear gigacasting & 4680 structural battery packs will supply USA. Berlin ramping up soon Will Supply Europe with LHD. I imagine Shanghi retools for gigapress and structural battery then will supply China, and RHD markets. We may get some this year with old manufacture out of Shanghi if they dont need to make as many LHD for europe

Re the new castings, would the rear casting be the same for RHD versus LHD but front different; or both different; or by some means both the same? Unless they are doing the new casting in RHD for UK/Ireland etc, it may take an extended time to move it onto RHD. Plus other reports say they are only producing the 4680 cells in relatively small numbers (of cars). I saw a report said they had just made 1 million cells so far but that was only enough for 1,000 cars. Thats a very long way from full production. I believe UK people are expecting RHD cars to come from Berlin soon.

what I am getting to in relation to this thread, is when the Y is released here in Oz, should we hold out for these mods even if very eager to get one? (Btw I am new to Tesla watching). Do we know what a difference these improvemtns make in the real world (seems to be rigidity and battery power / efficiency and possibly hence some weight loss)?
cheers leconte

Re the new castings, would the rear casting be the same for RHD versus LHD but front different; or both different; or by some means both the same? Unless they are doing the new casting in RHD for UK/Ireland etc, it may take an extended time to move it onto RHD. Plus other reports say they are only producing the 4680 cells in relatively small numbers (of cars). I saw a report said they had just made 1 million cells so far but that was only enough for 1,000 cars. Thats a very long way from full production. I believe UK people are expecting RHD cars to come from Berlin soon.

what I am getting to in relation to this thread, is when the Y is released here in Oz, should we hold out for these mods even if very eager to get one? (Btw I am new to Tesla watching). Do we know what a difference these improvemtns make in the real world (seems to be rigidity and battery power / efficiency and possibly hence some weight loss)?
cheers leconte
Hard to say if one shovel wait, it could be a long wait re Tesla time.

A negative, re structural battery, is the unknown repair cost (and long wait time) if one’s car is involved in an accident.

I was thinking of changing my 3 to a Y, since I’m in no major rush I’ll wait to see real life experience (negative: increased repair costs, long wait times for repairs etc. vs the obvious benefits).

Either way, I think you’ll overall love going EV….I’ve been driving EVs since 2015 and 2x EVs (no ICE) since 2018…is only go back to ICE kicking and screaming…

Hard to say if one shovel wait, it could be a long wait re Tesla time.

A negative, re structural battery, is the unknown repair cost (and long wait time) if one’s car is involved in an accident.

I was thinking of changing my 3 to a Y, since I’m in no major rush I’ll wait to see real life experience (negative: increased repair costs, long wait times for repairs etc. vs the obvious benefits).

Either way, I think you’ll overall love going EV….I’ve been driving EVs since 2015 and 2x EVs (no ICE) since 2018…is only go back to ICE kicking and screaming…

I'm not sure the structural battery pack will have much impact on repair costs; a significant side impact on any vehicle regardless of structural or not will more than likely be a write off.

I think people are miss interpreting exactly what the structurl battery pack is. You can still unbolt it from the vehicle from what I can accertain. It should have been called a "stressed battery pack". Eg, load is now transfered through the pack in operation, but its not a fixed part of the car that cannot be replaced. No one is sure exactly how it will work at this stage. Because a battery pack replacement is going to be a huge job if all the interior is bolted to it.

I'm not sure the structural battery pack will have much impact on repair costs; a significant side impact on any vehicle regardless of structural or not will more than likely be a write off.

I think people are miss interpreting exactly what the structurl battery pack is. You can still unbolt it from the vehicle from what I can accertain. It should have been called a "stressed battery pack". Eg, load is now transfered through the pack in operation, but its not a fixed part of the car that cannot be replaced. No one is sure exactly how it will work at this stage. Because a battery pack replacement is going to be a huge job if all the interior is bolted to it.

Well, it takes about 1 hour (at most) to change the battery pack on an S, 3, X and Y at the moment....this will most likely increase significantly with the new structural battery packs....

Seats etc are fitted to the (structural) pack before installing in the factory to make it quicker, this will likely lead to it being longer to swap at a service station.

But they are going to be incredibly reliable things so thats a very unlikely event anyhow

Seats etc are fitted to the (structural) pack before installing in the factory to make it quicker, this will likely lead to it being longer to swap at a service station.

But they are going to be incredibly reliable things so thats a very unlikely event anyhow

Not talking reliability, talking increased cost in the event of a accident and what this means for the new pack...knock on effects etc.

Maybe none, maybe a lot of time/cost...we all know Tesla takes a LONG time to send parts (well those of us with a long history of Tesla in Australia)....I'll be waiting to see as no doubt Telsa will make a long of changes between 2022 and 2023 as they always do when they make a significant change.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the changes as long as it doesn't translate in to bigger unforseen issues....

cheers leconte
I will take the "old" Model Y right now. Happy for them to send them here. Australia will take them.

Saw this tweet this morning about the 4680 cells...
If i have read that correctly, the 4680 is 5x more efficient than the current 2170 cells?

I think people need to understand the primary reason for the 4680 isnt for us, its for tesla, to mass produce them and make more cars, using less resources overall.

I think they will be better packs from the start also, they have some inherent benefits if they are put together right, and should allow more energy in the same space, or less cells overall, which should work out cheaper etc.