Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Standard Range AWD to be priced at $59,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kona electric has been around for 5 years, id4 for 2+, Ford and gm has been building evs for quite some time. I wouldn't call them newbies. Electricity America has gotten much better and there are others also.
05192475-FC74-4267-A07B-91589F764C2F.jpeg

I don’t know if it belongs or if it doesn’t belong but they have added:
Ryzen, double pane windows, heat pump, heated steering wheel, heated wipers, new headlights, tail lights, lithium battery, wireless charging, external speaker…

I don’t know much about super charging. I get 12 cents per kwh at my house and office. I understand it’s different for everyone. I have no issues.
I've yet to see the new matrix headlights and tailights on a MYLR, only MYP

It is an impressive stunt. I've been reading about it, and there's quite a few asterisks to the story.

It's a prototype, not a production car. They shaved weight so hard it has strap pulls to open the doors. They put solar tiles on the roof. It's running extreme lightweight wheels with un-mentioned tire pressure maxed for least rolling resistance.

And the most important trick? They ran at 50 mph. Take a Model S, strip it down, put on 80 psi rock hard tires, solar panels, and hypermile it at 50 mph and it's gonna get up around 500 miles with a back seat that doesn't require you to be laying almost flat.

But still cool that other makers are pushing efficiency.

My point is that the y and 3 are not worth what Tesla is asking for them.
It is absolutely "worth" what they are asking. As long as demand outstrips supply it is "worth" that. Just because you do not think so the majority and certainly all those in line around the block disagree. Until the supply and demand gets a little closer to be the same it is worth that amount and actually based on capitalism and supply and demand you could argue it is "worth" more.

The great part about choices and competition and the free market is you have the right to take your hard earned money and spend and buy whatever you feel is worth it to you.

It is an impressive stunt. I've been reading about it, and there's quite a few asterisks to the story.

It's a prototype, not a production car. They shaved weight so hard it has strap pulls to open the doors. They put solar tiles on the roof. It's running extreme lightweight wheels with un-mentioned tire pressure maxed for least rolling resistance.

And the most important trick? They ran at 50 mph. Take a Model S, strip it down, put on 80 psi rock hard tires, solar panels, and hypermile it at 50 mph and it's gonna get up around 500 miles with a back seat that doesn't require you to be laying almost flat.

And it will start probably at $120K since ESQ starts at $102K. By the time you add all the stuff it is easier to by 2 MYs or MS Plaid.

Reactions: mangrove79
And it will start probably at $120K since ESQ starts at $102K. By the time you add all the stuff it is easier to by 2 MYs or MS Plaid.

Yeah, I'm not sure they'll produce it exactly as seen in the prototype - they went all-in on aero and small frontal-cross section which makes for an "interesting" passenger seating and ingress/egress setup. I figure they bring things a bit more upright, the weight goes up by a lot as they make it road and customer-luxury ready, and the 600 miles becomes more like 400 or 450 which is still quite worthy but not far afield of the model S it would compete with.

We all know the German EV’s got a late start but I bet they will definitely catch up and produce much better overall quality vehicles then Tesla.
I Noticed a big gap difference on one side of the front hood of my new MYP; I pointed that out and they said it was within their specs 😲🤦🏻‍♂️
If I wanted it to be even I would have to pay to get it done.. 😬 I’ll live with it.

Just one example of poor quality in small but important details.
Might be a little more $ but can’t beat Mercedes Benz, BMW, Porsche, Audi quality..

My point is that the y and 3 are not worth what Tesla is asking for them.

You have done a good job making your point.

I'm not sure why you are here though, now, repeating yourself. You appear to be trying to convince others, who clearly have a different set of criteria for "worth," and I'm here to tell you you won't change their minds.

On the other hand, if you are still here because you secretly wish to have your own mind changed, carry on! 🍻

Absolutely no doubt, kWh rates are going to continue to increase rapidly in CA.
Solar home panels are a must if you own EV’s..
Solar panels seem a great deal in Southern states or West coast. Over in East Coast - the amount of sun (? May be), and state rebates and resources - solar does not seem to have caught on. CT for eg doesn’t still allow direct selling for Tesla still. And there is property tax >1k per year to content with. Roads aren’t really meant for >60 mile speed and so overall practicality and value of Tesla is so very different. But solar is the now/future so great point actually. Given my experiences, it may be better time to invest on solar than an EV (and may be wait for supply shortage issues, and overall EV competition/pricing to emerge). I also feel, having done quick research around, a 100 mile plug in hybrid SUV may be a big game changer (and may happen within 12 months time actually) for full EVs to rationalize on current prices.

I also feel, having done quick research around, a 100 mile plug in hybrid SUV may be a big game changer (and may happen within 12 months time actually) for full EVs to rationalize on current prices.

Such a vehicle already exists -> The BMW i3 Range Extender (REX), the notable ones from 2019, 2020, and 2021 have batteries that can go over 100 miles and they have an onboard gasoline generator to charge the battery when it gets close to depleting. It's not really an SUV though, has two suicide doors and room for only four, but it's pretty close to the 100+ mile plug-in hybrid. That car is no longer made, and a big reminder that longer range PHV's aren't as desirable as many might think.

I think that when given the opportunity to get more range from a PHV, then the desire is to simply remove the engine (and its complexities) completely and pack in more batteries for more electric range, and end up with a full EV.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Such a vehicle already exists -> The BMW i3 Range Extender (REX), the notable ones from 2019, 2020, and 2021 have batteries that can go over 100 miles and they have an onboard gasoline generator to charge the battery when it gets close to depleting. It's not really an SUV though, has two suicide doors and room for only four, but it's pretty close to the 100+ mile plug-in hybrid. That car is no longer made, and a big reminder that longer range PHV's aren't as desirable as many might think.

I think that when given the opportunity to get more range from a PHV, then the desire is to simply remove the engine (and its complexities) completely and pack in more batteries for more electric range, and end up with a full EV.
A Plug in Hybrid gives you all of the problems of an ICE engine plus the cost and weight of a battery, plus the integration. I just don't see it being a long term solution.

We all know the German EV’s got a late start but I bet they will definitely catch up and produce much better overall quality vehicles then Tesla.
I Noticed a big gap difference on one side of the front hood of my new MYP; I pointed that out and they said it was within their specs 😲🤦🏻‍♂️
If I wanted it to be even I would have to pay to get it done.. 😬 I’ll live with it.

Just one example of poor quality in small but important details.
Might be a little more $ but can’t beat Mercedes Benz, BMW, Porsche, Audi quality..

I used to think German quality was good too until I experienced Mercedes build quality first hand for 4 years. The interior creaks and rattles drove me crazy. Even the loaners they gave me had the same thing when my car was in to fix these issues. Both dealers I took the Benz to ended up giving me felt tape to apply on my own to try to get rid of some of the rattles.

I know people give Tesla crap for "within spec" but my Benz had wider panel gaps and Mercedes said those were within spec too.

The issue isn't just present on German and American cars. My experience with Japanese (Infiniti) was worse with even worse customer care. (At least Tesla and Mercedes make the effort to correct issues)

A Plug in Hybrid gives you all of the problems of an ICE engine plus the cost and weight of a battery, plus the integration. I just don't see it being a long term solution.

Kinda true. If you look at used BMW i3's, it's widely known that the pure-electric variant is lower maintenance and in some ways more desired than the one with the REX gas motor in it.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and Exelion
You have done a good job making your point.

I'm not sure why you are here though, now, repeating yourself. You appear to be trying to convince others, who clearly have a different set of criteria for "worth," and I'm here to tell you you won't change their minds.

On the other hand, if you are still here because you secretly wish to have your own mind changed, carry on! 🍻
Changed about what? Did you miss the fact that I driver a model s p90d?

I repeat at times because posts are missed. For example you didn't see I drive a MS or did you?

I've always been pro Tesla and that doesn't change. I feel Tesla can do better and not be greedy.

Your snide remarks show your lack of proper open minded conversation. It's best you read instead of respond.

I used to think German quality was good too until I experienced Mercedes build quality first hand for 4 years. The interior creaks and rattles drove me crazy. Even the loaners they gave me had the same thing when my car was in to fix these issues. Both dealers I took the Benz to ended up giving me felt tape to apply on my own to try to get rid of some of the rattles.

I know people give Tesla crap for "within spec" but my Benz had wider panel gaps and Mercedes said those were within spec too.

The issue isn't just present on German and American cars. My experience with Japanese (Infiniti) was worse with even worse customer care. (At least Tesla and Mercedes make the effort to correct issues)
CCE91387-B36A-460D-A9B4-27EAFE5C7D29.jpeg
F26517B1-D87D-4FE4-99EE-4788A7EED607.jpeg

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.