Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Standard Range AWD to be priced at $59,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this is true. We have a total of 6 nuclear plants with 11 reactors total in the state. More than any other state in the United States. 58% of our energy needs is met by nuclear.

Just 18% of the state's energy needs is powered by coal and that's being further reduced.

Source: Illinois - State Energy Profile Analysis - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
Joking! I've lived in the Midwest my entire life admiring the steam billowing from nuclear power plants and my old man supported his family in part representing central Illinois strip mining companies.

Tesla is adjusting the prices on the market, full stop. Whether or not it’s uniform is a different discussion. There still doing it, and the recent price hikes (and those to come after the SR Y is on the website), are / will be proof of that.
Still not an ADM. It is plain and simple a price increase for supply and demand. ADM which is charged on all the above EV's mentioned is dealership games and prejudice they play based on circumstances. Can't even come close to comparing the both.

yeah... taking the top of the line LIMITED trim AWD (which starts at $54k btw) is a fair comparison. The SE / SEL trim with AWD both start under $50k. But let's play your game... a fully decked out ioniq5 with HUD and much nicer interior and quieter cabin/ ride is still a few $k cheaper ... and once you factor in the $7500 tax rebates you are looking at nearly $10k in savings over the Y
I agree with most of what you said. However, the interior pales in comparison to Tesla. Driving a Tesla is like driving an iphone and other cars are like old Nokia phones. The software also makes a huge difference. Most other competitors have buggy software let alone all the product launch issues that may encounter. But I agree that Tesla prices are out of control.

Reactions: mdsco and goin2drt
yeah... taking the top of the line LIMITED trim AWD (which starts at $54k btw) is a fair comparison. The SE / SEL trim with AWD both start under $50k. But let's play your game... a fully decked out ioniq5 with HUD and much nicer interior and quieter cabin/ ride is still a few $k cheaper ... and once you factor in the $7500 tax rebates you are looking at nearly $10k in savings over the Y

Everything you say is true... and Tesla will still sell every car they can make at $59k, which is why that price point is "right" at the moment even though we'd love to see something in the low 50's

Keep in mind that the ability to buy competitor products like the Kia, or Hyundai involve facing $10k size markups at dealers if you want to actually GET one.

Standard range MY out of Austin makes complete sense during the production ramp of both the cars and the 4680 batteries. They can build and sell more cars with smaller battery packs, but with 2 motor performance. It's an attractive car with a bit better price regardless of chemistry if you don't need the extra range. It mostly avoids the obsolescence of the Fremont LR without the giga castings, structural battery pack, and 4680s. Imagine the scenario of Tesla dealing with customer fighting over Austin vs. Freemont if they were both MY LRs at the same price.

Tesla missed a bigger opportunity for what?

$50K-52K would result in significantly lower margins; an even longer, unmanageable waiting list; making traditional auto look even worse, which is bad because Tesla can't succeed in their mission alone; cannibalizing Fremont-built vehicles?

I think Tesla made the right move. They'll feel out the market's reaction and adjust prices accordingly. Some people will buy an EV from another manufacturer, which is great. Other people will opt to upgrade to Long Range, which is also great. One thing is for sure, there will be no shortage of buyers for these vehicles.
Disagree...
Tesla has substantial margins over their competition.

Tesla's margins are 22% vs. GM 12%. Even higher than Ford. Margin estimates for the new SR equal or exceed 20%.

Nope...
Tesla could sell these for $52k and still make more money per sale than anyone.

Cheers.

Disagree...

Tesla's margins are 22% vs. GM 12%. Even higher than Ford. Margin estimates for the new SR equal or exceed 20%.

Nope...

Cheers.

You're not making much sense, at least not business wise.

Yes, we'd all prefer to see a $52k MYAWD, and Tesla could sell them at that price.

But Tesla can also sell every single unit they can make at $59k. WHY would Tesla walk away from the additional $7k per car margin?

Disagree...

Nope...

Cheers.
Are the margins Really that separated? Last I checked the other manufacturers aren’t also building Shell and BP stations around the US to support their market.

Are the margins Really that separated? Last I checked the other manufacturers aren’t also building Shell and BP stations around the US to support their market.
I was surprised too...

Gross Margin
(Source)

The bigger opportunity missed is more SR 2022 orders for Giga Austin while in startup.

automotive-gross-margin-comparison-gm-vs-tesla-quarterly.jpg

edit: Chart added

Last edited:
Nah, that depends on your plan. If you're paying .35 cents super off peak, wow! And to the real point even at .35 it's still a ton cheaper than buying gas. Btw, I pay .19 cents super off peak.

I think you might be confusing $0.35 with .35 cents. I doubt you are paying 1/3 cent per kWh.

I pay $0.095 (9 1/2c) per kWh in the winter, and $0.168 in the summer for charging between midnight - 6am. I'm in NorCal (SMUD territory).

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike

I don't think we know what most carmarker margins are purely on their electric cars. With Tesla you can kinda do the math because it's all they make.

Seeing cars from VW, GM, etc with 80 KWH battery packs and prices in the 40's makes me guess that right now, they're not making any money at all on their electric vehicles against current commodity prices. Big makers don't adapt quickly, so perhaps their prices will rise a bit later than Tesla since for now they've just let their dealer networks make the "market adjustments" to the stickers.

Reactions: Big Earl
There was speculation about a "Model 2" cheaper/hatch/sawed-off-model-3. As best we can tell, that's been completely canned for the near future.

Tesla has it's hands beyond full with CyberTruck, Roadster, Semi, 4680, etc

And in the current raw-materials market, they can't even build enough of what they already make. Zero reason to try and go deeper into mass-market right now.
The Chinese and other Asian markets (India, Pakistan, Vietnam, Korea, etc.) is the reason for the cheaper model. Massive market, rapidly expanding, and lower-cost homegrown EV options which are expanding from low-priced models into Tesla's higher price points as their populations start to afford more expensive cars.

The Chinese and other Asian markets (India, Pakistan, Vietnam, Korea, etc.) is the reason for the cheaper model. Massive market, rapidly expanding, and lower-cost homegrown EV options which are expanding from low-priced models into Tesla's higher price points as their populations start to afford more expensive cars.

But again - even in those markets Tesla is selling every vehicle the factory can make using the existing models.

Of course there's additional (lower margin) market share to be had in the future with a "2" series - I just can't see any reason for Tesla to chase it right now if it means taking resources and factory capacity away from what's already maxed out at higher margin.

You're not making much sense, at least not business wise.

Yes, we'd all prefer to see a $52k MYAWD, and Tesla could sell them at that price.

But Tesla can also sell every single unit they can make at $59k. WHY would Tesla walk away from the additional $7k per car margin?
Clearly not a lot of business people here. Stop comparing Tesla to any other car manufacturer. They are maximizing their production and there is still a 6 month wait to get a car. It is called business. You are in business to make money not create a charity because people whine about the price. If you can’t afford a Tesla at $60k then move on down the road. Not everyone can afford a Porsche either but it doesn’t mean they are entitled to make a “cheaper” version so everyone can buy one.

If I were Tesla continue to do exactly what you are doing. Keep raising prices until the supply and demand curve starts getting your wait time to 6 weeks. Take all that margin and buy and build more factories. Then once you continue to drive production you can balance the volume play and offer a lower margin/cost car.

Stop the crying about the cost of a Tesla. There is a reason Elon is the wealthiest man in the world. If you don’t like the price there is always Toyota for you.

Clearly not a lot of business people here. Stop comparing Tesla to any other car manufacturer. They are maximizing their production and there is still a 6 month wait to get a car. It is called business. You are in business to make money not create a charity because people whine about the price. If you can’t afford a Tesla at $60k then move on down the road. Not everyone can afford a Porsche either but it doesn’t mean they are entitled to make a “cheaper” version so everyone can buy one.

If I were Tesla continue to do exactly what you are doing. Keep raising prices until the supply and demand curve starts getting your wait time to 6 weeks. Take all that margin and buy and build more factories. Then once you continue to drive production you can balance the volume play and offer a lower margin/cost car.

Stop the crying about the cost of a Tesla. There is a reason Elon is the wealthiest man in the world. If you don’t like the price there is always Toyota for you.

Yep, and when I went to Toyota seriously considering buying a RAV4 Prime, they wanted $60k for it (including the dealer's hilarious $12k markup).

But again - even in those markets Tesla is selling every vehicle the factory can make using the existing models.

Of course there's additional (lower margin) market share to be had in the future with a "2" series - I just can't see any reason for Tesla to chase it right now if it means taking resources and factory capacity away from what's already maxed out at higher margin.
The reason you want to capture the low-end/intro buyer market is that people are creatures of habit. We have all heard people say they are Ford, Chevy, Dodge, BMW, or Tesla guy/gal.

Low-end cars are a gateway to creating a long-term buyer. One that causes buyers to compare every other brand to "their" brand. And allows the buyer to blow off the eccentricities or flaws of "their" brand and focuses on how other brands did things the "wrong" (I.e., not the way my brand does it) way. This goes to how the cars look, how controls are laid out, etc. This creates a long income stream for the companies that can span decades with increasing margins as people move up the price ladder. And it is always easier for a buyer to mentally justify moving up to a more expensive car that is similar to what they had before.

Tesla really wants to have what I call the "good problem" (too many buyers for your capacity) for the long term. They know they can improve the Alien Dreadnought machines aka Gigafactories they are building to meet those future demands.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: mdsco and Daekwan
Status
Not open for further replies.