Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Standard Range AWD to be priced at $59,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota Bz4x is coming with 250 miles for mid $40k.
Though AWD Limited will drop range to 220 miles and price goes up to $49k.
So it may be worth extra $10k to get SR+ with 279 miles and other Tesla benefits.
If I had to choose KIA, Hyundai, VW, or Toyota, I would get Toyota. Good quality for $$ and good record with Priuses for sure.
VW is glitchy and Hyundai/KIA still have work to do.

Reactions: voxel
The reason you want to capture the low-end/intro buyer market is that people are creatures of habit. We have all heard people say they are Ford, Chevy, Dodge, BMW, or Tesla guy/gal.

Low-end cars are a gateway to creating a long-term buyer. One that causes buyers to compare every other brand to "their" brand. And allows the buyer to blow off the eccentricities or flaws of "their" brand and focuses on how other brands did things the "wrong" (I.e., not the way my brand does it) way. This goes to how the cars look, how controls are laid out, etc. This creates a long income stream for the companies that can span decades with increasing margins as people move up the price ladder. And it is always easier for a buyer to mentally justify moving up to a more expensive car that is similar to what they had before.

Tesla really wants to have what I call the "good problem" (too many buyers for your capacity) for the long term. They know they can improve the Alien Dreadnought machines they are building to meet those future demands.

Tesla doesn't really rely on that traditional "we're a Ford Family because grandpa owned a F150" type of marketing. They simply make really good products.

Last edited:
Tesla doesn't really rely on that traditional "we're a Ford Family" type of marketing. They simply make really good products.
Well, I am not so sure about that. We are on our 3rd Tesla and second Model X. We did not seriously consider other EV makers and considered no ICE vehicles.

And let's be critical. There are flaws in each Tesla product. And some are pretty serious like phantom braking/steering in Autopilot and failing driveshafts in the Model X. But if you want an EV with great performance and minimalist styling Tesla is the way to go. At least it is today.

Reactions: Daekwan
Well, I am not so sure about that. We are on our 3rd Tesla and second Model X. We did not seriously consider other EV makers and considered no ICE vehicles.

And let's be critical. There are flaws in each Tesla product. And some are pretty serious like phantom braking/steering in Autopilot and failing driveshafts in the Model X. But if you want an EV with great performance and minimalist styling Tesla is the way to go. At least it is today.

I understand - there is some coolaide. However if Tesla makes a crappy product ala the Ford Tempo or the Cadillac Allante - I don't think we'd buy it simply out of brand loyalty :)

Reactions: jboy210
I think you might be confusing $0.35 with .35 cents. I doubt you are paying 1/3 cent per kWh.

I pay $0.095 (9 1/2c) per kWh in the winter, and $0.168 in the summer for charging between midnight - 6am. I'm in NorCal (SMUD territory).
lol yea I wish I paid 1/3 of a cent. I'm still (knock on wood) on a grandfathered SCE plan and pay 19 cents from 10pm to 8am. SCE, they keep jacking up rates...

Reactions: Doc Brown
I understand - there is some coolaide. However if Tesla makes a crappy product ala the Ford Tempo or the Cadillac Allante - I don't think we'd buy it simply out of brand loyalty :)
Not every product can be a sale home run. But remember Ford also builds the F150. That family has best-selling vehicles in the US for the last 39 years. People keep buying the F-150 vehicle after vehicle. And they move up the models of F150s starting with $35K utility trucks all the way to 90k+ platinum editions and beyond.

Not every product can be a sale home run. But remember Ford also builds the F150. That family has best-selling vehicles in the US for the last 39 years. People keep buying the F-150 vehicle after vehicle. And they move up the models of F150s starting with $35K utility trucks all the way to 90k+ platinum editions and beyond.

I already used that example (the F150) and explained that this is how some big carmakers have worked, but Tesla doesn't really need to since their stuff is just objectively outstanding which could be seen with the badge completely removed.

Reactions: Goleta
VW is glitchy and Hyundai/KIA still have work to do.

Both the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the KIA EV6 are competent competitors to the Model Y. They beat the Tesla M3 & My in many areas like quality control, having a dash cluster, virtual hud, quiet interior, better ride quality, better warranty. They only thing that needs improving is the range efficiency and building out their charging network.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
Both the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the KIA EV6 are competent competitors to the Model Y. They beat the Tesla M3 & My in many areas like quality control, having a dash cluster, virtual hud, quiet interior, better ride quality, better warranty. They only thing that needs improving is the range efficiency and building out their charging network.
How is the performance?

$56k for Ioniq5 and $58k for the EV6 are both fully specc'd models. You need to factor in the $7500 EV tax rebate too because pretty much anyone considering a car over $50k will have enough tax liability to qualify for the rebate. So there is a big price delta.

$56k MSRP Ioniq5 is the AWD version. NO point comparing to their single motor version if we are trying to compare with the AWD standard Y.

$58 MSRP EV6 is also their AWD version.

Of course they qualify for the $7500 tax credit but guess what, most dealer markup will take most of that away. So really, you're looking at 56k vs 58k vs 60k. Tesla priced this variant just right. Its all about business to them, supply and demand!

If u can find a EV6 or a ioniq5 without markup, and you have a spare ICE to go road tripping. It will be very hard to pull the trigger on a Y. But again, I willl just go buy a used leaf or bolt or any good gas milages car and commute with it. Im not giving these legacy my money for their soon to be outdated EV just to commute around town! my 2 cents.

yeah... taking the top of the line LIMITED trim AWD (which starts at $54k btw) is a fair comparison. The SE / SEL trim with AWD both start under $50k. But let's play your game... a fully decked out ioniq5 with HUD and much nicer interior and quieter cabin/ ride is still a few $k cheaper ... and once you factor in the $7500 tax rebates you are looking at nearly $10k in savings over the Y

I guess I have to look harder. I couldn't select the base model with AWD. so you might be right.

I need to go test these two new EV out and judge it. I tried the ID4 and machE, both disappointing. I'll report back when I can.

thats another problem I have with these legacy auto. Tesla makes it easy when ordering your car. These other guys, u have to click around and play with their site. then contact the stealership and negotiate and play their games. Im done with stealership. Another win for Tesla! if they can eliminate third party, I think they can sell so much more cars.

Reactions: house9 and WhiteWi
correct me if I’m wrong but battery chemistry is not known. So whether it is LFP or not is unknown. Having the lower range LFP would make sense so you could charge to 100%, but I wasn’t under the impression that 4680 was going to LFP. Or are those two not connected at all?
It's not LFP, because the original tweet has a picture of the charging screen, and it shows the Daily/Trip limit... The LFP version of the Model 3 does not have or need this differentiator.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
I'm honestly dumbfounded at that impression. Complete opposite of what I felt driving the two back to back.
This tangent is always interesting to me. My experience with 2021 cars is the same as yours @terranx, the 3 rode much better than the Y. They definitely felt similar and related but the mild busyness of the 3's ride was amped way up on the MYLR I tested to the point where I really hated how it felt just driving down the road.

However...I've seen several reports now of 2020 Model Y owners upgrading to a 2022 and finding the new one rides much better. Kind of like when 2017-2020 Model 3 owners upgrade to a 2021+. So I'm suspecting Tesla has made a real improvement to the Y suspension tuning recently, without mentioning it in any official specs or press release.

There's another piece at play here: @voxel has an M3SR+ or LFP RWD right? I read recently those actually ride worse than an M3LR because the base RWD is lacking a sway bar that comes standard on all higher trim Model 3.

All that said I'm still pretty surprised that @voxel finds their Y rides better than their 3, but I am meaning to test drive a 2022 Y one of these days to give the Y another shot.

Reactions: mdsco
It's not LFP, because the original tweet has a picture of the charging screen, and it shows the Daily/Trip limit... The LFP version of the Model 3 does not have or need this differentiator.

Correct. And LFP simply doesn't have the energy density to get to 70 KWH in 828 4680 size cells. The energy density problem is one of the reasons all the SR LFP cars use pouch/prismatic cell formats (more usable volume).

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
This tangent is always interesting to me. My experience with 2021 cars is the same as yours @terranx, the 3 rode much better than the Y. They definitely felt similar and related but the mild busyness of the 3's ride was amped way up on the MYLR I tested to the point where I really hated how it felt just driving down the road.

However...I've seen several reports now of 2020 Model Y owners upgrading to a 2022 and finding the new one rides much better. Kind of like when 2017-2020 Model 3 owners upgrade to a 2021+. So I'm suspecting Tesla has made a real improvement to the Y suspension tuning recently, without mentioning it in any official specs or press release.

There's another piece at play here: @voxel has an M3SR+ or LFP RWD right? I read recently those actually ride worse than an M3LR because the base RWD is lacking a sway bar that comes standard on all higher trim Model 3.

All that said I'm still pretty surprised that @voxel finds their Y rides better than their 3, but I am meaning to test drive a 2022 Y one of these days to give the Y another shot.

After driving the exact 4 mile loop at various speeds and different road conditions on my 3 RWD and Y LR... my answer is slightly changed with more info.

The Y has far more micro bumpiness where as the 3 generally smoother BUT I will hit an undulation every 5 seconds that knocks up off my seat in the 3 that in the Y does not. So it's like the Y is driving over gravel and with the 3... I feel I am hitting speed bumps randomly.

At highway speeds, I prefer the Y of course. The micro-bumpiness is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.