Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Standard Range AWD to be priced at $59,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the Ioniq 5 and EV6 posted better numbers zero to 60 time than the LR MY at 4.4 - 4.5 seconds.

No fair bait-and-switch. The single-motor and awd Ionic and EV6 models being discussed (and priced) here are slower than the MYLR. Only the uber-spec GT variants gets below 5 seconds... and those would go up against the MYP both in speed and price.

ref: 2022 Kia EV6 Review, Pricing, and Specs

EV6 light RWD $42k 225hp
EV6 wind AWD $52k 320 hp
EV6 GT AWD $57k 576 hp

Both the Ioniq 5 and EV6 posted better numbers zero to 60 time than the LR MY at 4.4 - 4.5 seconds.
I test drove all trims of the Ioniq 5 and also EV6 Wind RWD + AWD and can confirm the AWD versions are Telsa Model Y fast.

The RWD versions? Yikes... like ID.4 slow. Barely any acceleration and I'd be concerned about highway passing power. I was hoping for Mach-E RWD or Model 3 RWD acceleration but not even close. Avoid them unless it is a ICE car replacement for commuting.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and yellowr6
People need to realize that EV’s are not the primary production vehicles of legacy automakers. They only have so many factories, but unlike Tesla, they’re not able to allocate 100% of those cars as EV’s. Hell, I’d even venture to say its not even in the double digits. We’re talking in the tens of thousands, rather than hundreds of thousands (like Tesla).

So yeah, all this talk about the BZ4x, Solterra, Ariya, and so many others coming soon, you’ll see, when they do come out, there’s not going to be enough of them to sell at MSRP.

Chip shortages and supply chain problems will end, but that doesn’t mean a manufacturer can turn on a dime and crank out hundreds of thousands of EV’s in a year or two.

There’s going to be markups, or long waits, or (unfortunately) both.

Yea when’s that sub 25k Tesla coming…..
Don’t hold your breath. Why would they? They would be completely stupid to make a lower margin, higher volume car when they are do not have manufacturing capacity for their $60k plus cars. It isn’t going to come any time soon.
No fair bait-and-switch. The single-motor and awd Ionic and EV6 models being discussed (and priced) here are slower than the MYLR. Only the uber-spec GT variants gets below 5 seconds... and those would go up against the MYP both in speed and price.

ref: 2022 Kia EV6 Review, Pricing, and Specs

EV6 light RWD $42k 225hp
EV6 wind AWD $52k 320 hp
EV6 GT AWD $57k 576 hp
Usually happens when someone is trying to make their point. They choose to leave out certain “facts” 😂. It is the new way of sharing “news” these days. Pick and choose what works to spin your narrative the way you need. lol.

Also certain differences weigh heavier than others to different people. For example, having a hud to one is a deal breaker or a negative to others. The one thing he mentioned at the end which was a complete non-starter is the charging network and time in which all other manufacturers are at a minimum 10 years behind Tesla so for us it was Tesla or ice. Not Tesla vs any other EV.

Both the Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the KIA EV6 are competent competitors to the Model Y. They beat the Tesla M3 & My in many areas like quality control, having a dash cluster, virtual hud, quiet interior, better ride quality, better warranty. They only thing that needs improving is the range efficiency and building out their charging network.
I owned 2 Hyundais. Agree that their quality may be superior to Tesla and it was better than Toyota, till Toyota got a wake up call recently.
But after seeing their issues with 2.0 turbo engines and dealer replacing it for 7 month under “lifetime warranty”. it took 2 months to prove their engine has issue, although Hyundai clearly knows it since they had to settle a big law suite.
So I would buy $63k Tesla before I look at Ioniq 5 for $50k no matter how awesome finishes it has or how much softer it rides.
To me Tesla has proven record after so many years, Toyota too. And sorry, but Hyundai is still a new kid with much to prove. Wouldn’t touch Hyundai or KIA they own for a while.

Reactions: yellowr6
You're not making much sense, at least not business wise.

Yes, we'd all prefer to see a $52k MYAWD, and Tesla could sell them at that price.

But Tesla can also sell every single unit they can make at $59k. WHY would Tesla walk away from the additional $7k per car margin?

True, from a business standpoint free market rules.

I'm speaking to opportunity. With the incredible move to EVs in 2022, a $52k Tesla can steal customers from legacy automakers at a time when everyone is looking.

And at $52k, their margins, for that model would match GMs roughly 12%. Its a business decision, but a decision that interrupted my purchase of Tesla #2.

Cheers.

Reactions: qdeathstar

I'm speaking to opportunity. With the incredible move to EVs in 2022, a $52k Tesla can steal customers from legacy automakers at a time when everyone is looking.

And at $52k, their margins, for that model would match GMs roughly 12%. Its a business decision, but a decision that interrupted my purchase of Tesla #2.

Cheers.
They aren't and don't need to STEAL anyone. There is NO opportunity as they already have more customers then they can serve right now and into the foreseeable future. They have more than they can already produce. I am not sure why you think Tesla "needs" any customers. It is absolutely a stupid idea to lower your price (and margin) of ANYTHING you sell when you already have WAY more demand they supply. I might suggest a simply google search of supply and demand curve. I am not sure how else to put it. Honestly please stop comparing Tesla to GM. They are actually one of the worst run huge organizations and if not for a government bail out they would actually be out of business. Tesla could care less and has ZERO desire to match their 12% margin. They could also care less about any customer that is thinking about buying a GM car and try to capture the "opportunity" of getting them as a Tesla customer.

McMyVQq.png

So, it appears Tesla isn't recognizing most (any?) of the supposed benefits from 4680s. Am I correct?

Model Y LR (made with 2170s), dual motor AWD, 318 mile EPA range, 0 to 60 in 4.8 seconds, 80 kWh (usable) battery pack, costs $63k
Model Y Perf (also made with 2170s?), dual motor AWD, 303 mile EPA range, 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds, 80 kWh battery pack, costs $68k
Model Y SR (made with 4680s), AWD, alleged 279 mile EPA range, 0 to 60 in 5 seconds, 65 kWh battery pack, costs $60k (some auto journalists have claimed they got 240 miles at highway speeds, imputing an efficiency of ~3.55 mi/kWh)

If someone can afford the $60k SR, why not just pay the extra $3k to get 40 miles more of range and a tick faster to 60?
My guess, when 4680 Ys reach volume production, to up the competition (that are now emerging) Tesla will raise the price and range for the LR and P.

More like;

SR Y 300 miles $60K
LR Y 350 miles $65K
P Y 325 miles $70K

I'll come back to this post when this happens, likely early 2023. 🤔

Reactions: house9 and goin2drt
My guess, when 4680 Ys reach volume production, to up the competition (that are now emerging) Tesla will raise the price and range for the LR and P.

More like;

SR Y 300 miles $60K
LR Y 350 miles $65K
P Y 325 miles $70K

You realize the current prices for LR and P are only 2k lower than in your prediction, right?

They aren't and don't need to STEAL anyone. There is NO opportunity as they already have more customers then they can serve right now and into the foreseeable future. They have more than they can already produce. I am not sure why you think Tesla "needs" any customers. It is absolutely a stupid idea to lower your price (and margin) of ANYTHING you sell when you already have WAY more demand they supply. I might suggest a simply google search of supply and demand curve. I am not sure how else to put it. Honestly please stop comparing Tesla to GM. They are actually one of the worst run huge organizations and if not for a government bail out they would actually be out of business. Tesla could care less and has ZERO desire to match their 12% margin. They could also care less about any customer that is thinking about buying a GM car and try to capture the "opportunity" of getting them as a Tesla customer.

While I agree totally with @goin2drt regarding Tesla's profit margins, I am going to play the Devil's advocate and point out that, according to their mission statement (conveniently provided below) Tesla does in fact ultimately want to capture a broader customer base. How do they go about it? Higher profit margins at this time allow them to reinvest in expansion (more Gigafactories) which will ultimately allow them to capture/convert more customers which addresses their mission.

As was so well pointed out, reducing their margins at this point, when demand is through the roof, will not add customers. Expansion will.

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.​

Tesla was founded in 2003 by a group of engineers who wanted to prove that people didn’t need to compromise to drive electric – that electric vehicles can be better, quicker and more fun to drive than gasoline cars. Today, Tesla builds not only all-electric vehicles but also infinitely scalable clean energy generation and storage products. Tesla believes the faster the world stops relying on fossil fuels and moves towards a zero-emission future, the better.

@DrGriz hence exactly what I said a few pages ago. Tesla should be grabbing all the margin (while demand is through the roof) to invest in more plants to ONLY THEN start playing the volume vs margin business model game.

My quote from post #158 "If I were Tesla continue to do exactly what you are doing. Keep raising prices until the supply and demand curve starts getting your wait time to 6 weeks. Take all that margin and buy and build more factories. Then once you continue to drive production you can balance the volume play and offer a lower margin/cost car."

More like;

SR Y 300 miles $60K
LR Y 350 miles $65K
P Y 325 miles $70K

Forget early 20023, I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens in a week or two

But you can also order them and they honor MSRP, plus get the tax credit. Same as Tesla, minus the price
, plus get the tax credit. Same as Tesla, minus the price
The key word is "honor MSRP". I have checked multiple dealers in the area for both Ionic and EV6. The best deal I was quoted $4K over MSRP. Most of the time it is $7-8K over even if you ordering one. With these mark ups. It does not look that appetizing.

Cheers.

I'm not sure what this "opportunity" you think of is, when in fact Tesla will sell every single car they can possibly build in 2022.

Lowering the price creates more customers.... how?

If you watch Bjorn's videos on those two cars tho, you'll see they have rather crappy thermal management. The heatpump constantly scavenged heat from the batteries when the cabin heat was on, even when navigating to a fast charger, making it so when he arrived at the charger, the battery was at 0 degrees C, making it charge slow... Likewise, when he tested in summer, the heatpump could not simultaneously cool the battery and the cabin at the same time... The battery was constantly thermal throttling at the fast charger, unless he turned off the cabin A/C. Likewise, when the fast charging session was done, the battery was still too hot, and caused the motors to thermal throttle resulting in a cap of 60kw, resulting in sluggish acceleration until the batteries cooled.

I also heard from several people that the local dealers were adding $10k to $20k in markup to the EV6.

If you watch Bjorn's videos on those two cars tho, you'll see they have rather crappy thermal management. The heatpump constantly scavenged heat from the batteries when the cabin heat was on, even when navigating to a fast charger, making it so when he arrived at the charger, the battery was at 0 degrees C, making it charge slow... Likewise, when he tested in summer, the heatpump could not simultaneously cool the battery and the cabin at the same time... The battery was constantly thermal throttling at the fast charger, unless he turned off the cabin A/C. Likewise, when the fast charging session was done, the battery was still too hot, and caused the motors to thermal throttle resulting in a cap of 60kw, resulting in sluggish acceleration until the batteries cooled.

I also heard from several people that the local dealers were adding $10k to $20k in markup to the EV6.
That's true for here in Southern Cal. I'm in the market for the Wind-AWD EV6, but I absolutely refuse to pay over MSRP.

I'm sick off all these Hyundai and KIA dealerships here in S. Cal wanting to charge me anywhere from $4,000 - $15,000 worth of add-ons and markups for the Ioniq 5 and EV6. I already have a MY LR ordered, with EDD of between Oct. - Jan 2023. If once the hype dies down a bit for the Ioniq 5 and the EV6, and I can find one at MSRP before my LR MY arrives, I'll release the VIN, and get one of the Korean cars instead.

Cheers.

That makes no sense when every Tesla Y being produced is already sold out till 2023. Lowering the price is not going to make adoption any faster when every car they make is already sold. They honestly could raise prices another $5-10k and it wouldn't change adoption rate at all. Like someone above said, it makes more sense for them to try and profit as much as possible now for further R&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.